Whiska's Purrfectly series - Good, Bad for Sugar kitty?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommaOfMuse, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

After searching all 4 grocery stores here including Kmart I couldn't find a single can of Whiskas regular canned cat food...But did see several flavors of their Purrfectly Series of food...Now in the past before diet was critically I have gotten it for our bunch and they loved it...But don't want to have anything even in the house that Muse could get into that isn't good for her. There was puffectly fish and purrfectly chicken that I remember seeing...Is the chicken okay for her or does anyone know?

Mel and Muse

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The might be. They do contain corn starch, which may affect bgs in some sensitive cats, and wheat gluten, which is an allergen to some cats.

Here are the ingredients for the chicken varieties:

Whiskas Purrfectly Chicken: Sufficient Water for Processing, Chicken, Liver, Soy Oil, Corn Starch-Modified, Wheat Gluten, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Taurine, Salt, Vitamins....

Whiskas Purrfectly Chicken and Duck: Sufficient Water for Processing, Chicken, Duck, Liver, Soy Oil, Corn Starch-Modified, Wheat Gluten, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Taurine, Salt....

Whiskas Purrfectly Chicken and Beef: Sufficient Water for Processing, Chicken, Duck, Liver, Soy Oil, Corn Starch-Modified, Wheat Gluten, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Taurine, Salt....

http://www.whiskas.com/meal_time/purrfe ... _food.aspx

There are 7 seafood based varieties that do not contain corn starch or carbs but you don't want to feed seafood too often.

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

I think (not sure) that is the same as the Whiskas Mmmmm! (sold in pouches) here in Europe and it is an excellent choice for diabetics (1%) carbs. It has a fairly high protien percentage (14%) and is mostly muscle meat a good quality protien. Heather (& Jasper), Kate (&Lucky) and Greg (&Carmelita) all have fed it. I buy it on occasion. I have only fed the beef, lamb, chicken, and turkey flavors. It was one of the first wet foods I got Spooky to eat (took a year to get him off the dry) :roll:

4. MommaOfMuse

I was kind of hoping it would be good for her...she is such a BEEF girl, she will mug you for a bite of a hamburger. But most of what was on the list that were beef were so high in carbs. This looks to be almost pure meat and I know the rest of my gang will think they died and went to heaven if they can have it too. Before Muse was sick we got a box and my normally well behaved kids where leaping on the counters (something they only do when it is really GOOD and they want to risk a swat on the butt from Mom) to get to it when I opened the pouch. I'm still wondering why they aren't required to list carbs on pet food like they do for human food..Guess the powers that be don't think kitties need to watch their figures. =)

Mel and Muse

5. squeem3

6. MommaOfMuse

Nope the nearest Petco or Petsmart are close to 200 miles away. Thought about seeing if I can buy on line from one of them and have it shipped.

Mel & Muse

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have an 11-year-old American short-haired black cat named Koal who was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about three years ago. He is a very finicky eater. Yesterday I was out looking for something that he might eat and found something I had not seen before--whiskas rotisserie chicken flavor in meaty juices. The label says "New!" on it. It appears to have no grain products, although it does have meat by-products. Koal liked it. Have any of you fed it to your cats?

8. squeem3

SUFFICIENT WATER FOR PROCESSING, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, POULTRY BY-PRODUCTS, LIVER, CHICKEN, NATURAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, XANTHAN GUM, CARRAGEENAN, DRIED YAM.... http://www.whiskas.com/meal_time/trays/wh_chicken.aspx

It looks low carb to me.

9. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

koalsgran - We feed that to ours and they really like it. They prefer the turkey to the chicken one. We vary food so much that they don't get a lot of it in a week though. I don't like not knowing the carb%, but I didn't see anything on the labels to concern me and never saw a jump in Smokey's numbers when they ate it.

10. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

I've not heard of the Whiskas purrfectly. They seem to have stopped selling the MMM.
    We used Felix 'as good as it looks'-Lucky wasn't keen on the Whiskas but as Monique said, Jasper and Carmelita were mad for it.

Can you give the following figures and can give you an approximate %carbs (alot of manufacturers give 'as fed' numbers which means tere can be variation from batch to batch. They don't care about animals quite as much as they do about humans :roll: )

%protein
    %moisture
    %fat
    %fibre
    %ash (not always listed)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.