Whistle is a medical mystery (for now)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jimsy, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimsy

jimsy New Member

The roller coaster ride continues. For the past couple of days Whistle was testing very high pre-shot, but getting very low at her nadir. Back when she was regulated, she had much tighter numbers, usually mid-200s pre-shot and low-100s nadirs. I took her to the vet on Tuesday for a urine culture, and it was lucky I did. Whistle started getting very low at the vet, and even after being given dextrose her numbers stayed in the 50s. This for a cat who usually tests high at the vet! Whistle's regular vet is not a 24 hour facility, so for the night I transferred her to the emergency vet. Wednesday just happens to be the only day of the week I have classes, and I couldn't stay up all Tuesday night making sure Whistle wasn't hypo-ing. At the emergency vet, the vet was looking over the preliminary urinalysis results and said, "Wow, she's concentrating her urine awfully well for a cat who's supposed to have CRF. Almost makes you wonder.." By morning they had decided to take Whistle back down to 2.5 units Lantus (what she was on pre-DKA) because it was clear that 3.5 was way too much. The regular vet called after Whistle was discharged and gave her opinion. She thinks the emergency vet was giving Whistle too much insulin after the DKA and probably didn't start her back low enough. She thinks the super-high numbers I was getting were Whistle's bounce-back from being given too much insulin. We are still awaiting the full urine culture results, but the regular vet is also thinking that Whistle may not have CRF. She is thinking the DKA and high kidney values were caused by another underlying issue and resulting dehydration, possibly an infection or pancreatitis. We're keeping Whistle on fluids once a day for now, just to be safe, as well as the lower-phosph. Friskies special diet. Today, after the reduced insulin dose she is feeling better I think. For a few days she had been hiding under the couch, which I thought was related to the CRF, but may have been the weird bg changes all along. Right now she out sleeping on one of her favorite chairs, last night she slept on the bed with me, and she woke me up eager for her breakfast this morning. She is definitely proving to be one tough kitty!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, I don't know what to say.

It's good that you're on top of this and know enough to question the vets and do what's best for her.

Wish I could offer some help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.