Whistle passed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jimsy, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimsy

jimsy New Member

I had to make a very difficult decision today. All week Whistle had had the ketones smell on her breath. I had been speaking with her vet every day, monitoring blood glucose, and testing for ketones. Her numbers were all over the place, and right when we would get them under control they would spike up again. This morning she tested positive for ketones in her urine. She deteriorated very quickly throughout the day. I wanted to hold out for her regular vet to see her, but she seemed to feel really bad. I took her to the emergency vet, where we went over the results from the internist, etc. The only thing they could think of was that Whistle simply wasn't responding to treatment for her pancreatic insufficiency. I couldn't watch her suffer at home, nor did the vet think she would make it through treatment again since she just went through this three weeks ago. My boyfriend and I decided to help her pass so that she wouldn't suffer anymore. I still feel terrible, and I wish I could have done more for her. She was still a baby to me and I thought I would have her for much, much longer.

2. mikasmom

mikasmom New Member

I am so so sorry you had to let Whistle go. I just went through the same thing on Thursday and feel so raw and sad. I miss my Mika terrible as I know you miss Whistle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful baby is flying free from the pain.

3. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I am so sorry for your loss. wings_cat

4. VictorsMom (GA)

VictorsMom (GA) New Member

I am very sorry for your loss....

5. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.

~M

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry. Fly free sweet Whistle.

7. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

I'm so sorry; It is a very hard decision to make but Whistle knows how much you loved her.

8. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Whistle. There is never enough time with them, but know that Whistle knows how much you loved her.

9. Sabrina's Mom

Sabrina's Mom New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Lots of hugs and prayers to you and Whistle.

10. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine the sadness you must feel to lose your baby girl so young.

Fly free beautiful Whistle
    wings_cat

11. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.. Wrapping you in many cyber hugs. Whistle is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon
    wings_cat

12. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((hugs))) I am so sorry. Fly free Whistle.

13. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

I am so sorry you had to let Whistle go. Its such a hard thing to do, especially when they're so young. Take comfort that she is at peace now.

14. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Ms. Jims, I am so very sorry for your loss of dear Whistle. Fly free, sweet one. wings_cat

15. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost my Bob when he was only six years old. It's just so hard to comprehend when they leave us so young. You have my deepest condolences.
    wings_cat

16. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

so sad to hear of your loss.....

Safe Journey Whistle !

17. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

My deepest condolenes. I am very sorry for your loss.

18. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your baby... this is so sad and my heart goes out to you.

19. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. That is a really tough decision to make. Fly free Whistle.

20. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is a tough choice, but one that is made with love. Fly Free Whistle

21. Tina and Regis (GA)

Tina and Regis (GA) Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did all you could. Fly Free Whistle!!

You and Whistle had a special bond that will forever be. The love you shared will always be.

Sending hugs of comfort,

Tina, Regis, in spirit, and Persia

22. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May your best memories of Whistle comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

23. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no I'm so sorry. Whistle is no longer in pain and that reguard in a better place. You did everything you could. My sincere condolences...

Fly free little one land softly

wings_cat rb_icon wings_cat

Jeanne

24. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I'm so sorry ofr your loss of Whiste..
    May your sorrow be brief,
    and the joy in her memories be everlasting.
    Until you meet again.

Fly Freeeee whistle!

25. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry that you lost your Whistle (love her name) at such a young age. No matter how young or how old they are, they truly are our 'furbabies' and we will always think of them with fond and loving memories.

You did the best you could, and you gave her the gift of no more suffering, and she will live on in your heart always.

((((HUGS)))),
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)
    :cry:

26. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

I'm so sorry to hear about little Whistle. You did what you could for your baby. Fly free sweet Whistle.

27. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi - just wanted to say how sorry I am. I remember reading your other posts about Whistle. I hope you're doing okay. Hang in there - we all understand how painful it is.

28. jimsy

jimsy New Member

I just want to thank everyone for their outpouring of support. It means a lot to me, because this was such a hard decision. Whistle was the first pet I adopted on my own (during my sophomore year of college) and the first pet I brought up myself. We had a bond that I have never had with another animal. She is also the first pet I have ever had to euthanize. I grew up in a rural area and my family had lots of pets, but usually when they became severely ill they would disappear into the woods, as many animals are inclined to do. Having to make this decision for Whistle was extremely difficult, but I keep telling myself that I did the right thing. She was getting so bad so fast, and she was so frail that I don't think she would have made it through treatment again. The past month with her was great to have, but it was hard because on so many days she wasn't herself. I knew that what she was going through didn't feel good. She was sleeping under the couch a lot, not eating with gusto, not wanting to spend time with our other cat. The odd thing was that on her last night she had this very sudden improvement, ate three pouches of food, slept with my other kitty, and then went to sleep peacefully in her normal chair. By morning that was all gone, but I'm glad she had one good night with us.

Many friends and family, as well as Whistle's vets, have sent their sympathy, but having everyone here at the board has meant a lot to me because everyone understands the kind of bond we forms with our pets with chronic illness. You get to know your pet more than you ever thought you would, you become even closer to them in your attempts to help them, and it's great to have others around who understand that. I also keep thinking that Whistle did a great thing by giving me the impetus to research proper cat diet and diabetes care. Since her diagnosis, I have talked so many of my friends and family into switching their cats off of dry food and onto low-carb wet, and of course I switched my civvie, which hopefully will help because he is still very young. I even have a friend who is going to vet school who has watched this whole process, so she will also know so much more about diet and the treatment of diabetes. Whistle may have saved many other cats from going through what she went through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.