White foam?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barri & Sonny, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

My boy Sonny was sitting nicely with me on the couch when he got up, made an awful wretching sound and threw up 2 small piles of white foam. What does that mean and is it cause for concern?

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I don't know. Is he okay now? Wish I had answers for you.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Occasionally that is fine, nothing to worry about.

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Every cat I have ever had has done that at some point. If it is rare, I wouldn't worry. If he does it often, I would schedule a vet appointment. One of mine used to do various wretch sorts of things for days before producing a giant hairball.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  5. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you all! He seemed fine right after and ate his lunch with no problem. I read that sometimes if they are hungryand their stomach is empty that may happen...maybe i should have fed him a little more this morning

6. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Vomiting white foam is generally due to stomach acid.

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I have similar thoughts as Anita. If it's a one-off, then hopefully all is well, but I suggest having a quick word with your vet to be on the safe side.

How long does your kitty go between meals? If some cats fast for too long, it can cause a build-up of stomach acid which can then trigger vomiting of foam/clear-ish liquid. Feeding smaller, more frequent meals can help with that.

Mogs

SpecklesandMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.