white ring

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Mal and Tubby (GA), Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Noticed a white or smokey deposit around the inside neck of the bottle[2.5ml]. Could not get this ring to dissolve by rolling or tumbling. This "deposit or ring" is very small.
    So it's dead? Still about 2 days left. 4u bid
    Tested for ketones =zero
    Tested for urine glucose=64[second highest colour] :smile:

2. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I have no idea unfortunately. Maybe you can give it a try and if you see changes in the numbers throw it out?

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

How old is the insulin? I used to get 45 days or so out of it. It won't hurt him, but might not be effective any longer. It is not a good sign that there are undissolved precipitates, or clumps. I would get a new vial as soon as you can.

What dose is he on? You may want to drop the dose back for a few cycles in case the current vioal has been losing potency. The new vial may be stronger. You are not testing his BG at home?

4. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Agreeing, suspect insulin is not your friend.

I would get a new vial and then drop dose a titch.
    HAs Tubby had ketones or been i DKA before?
    If so, then you need to super watchful when you start a new vial and cut back a bit.

Does that make sense?

5. Mal and Tubby (GA)

No ketones before. Just tested him because I could.
    Vial is about 2 weeks old. Have a new jug will throw out the old. :smile:

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Remember to cut back on dose a smidge and monitor :D

7. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Just updated my spreadsheet and found out the vial of cansulin was 28 days old. oh how time flies. :smile:

8. Mal and Tubby (GA)

My new bottle of Caninsulin has a white ring near the rubber stopper... so maybe its normal. :smile:

9. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hmmm I don't remember that. When you roll the vial everything should mix.

If your not getting wonky numbers maybe it is o.k. Could always ring whoever supplied it and ask.

10. dikkop + mosje

dikkop + mosje New Member

In The Netherlands we've been seeing the white ring for some time now. We don't know what causes it, but it has nothing to do with using your bottle for too long a time. It seems to increase with time, but we've seen the white ring in completely new bottles. Intervet (Vetsulin/Caninsulin produces) has told us to return bottles with a white ring to the vet, to exchange for an new one, as they cannot guarantee the quality of the product when a white ring shows. However, more than one of us, when returning the bottle to the vet, found out that sometimes a whole batch seems to be affected. This happened to me. When going back with my bottle to the vet, he got out everything he had, and all bottles were affected and had to be returned.
    Over the last couple of weeks complaints in de Dutch feline diabetes forum have increased that not only the bottles show white rings but also that the fluid shows little blobs and thread-like stuff, like thin worms.
    Intervet keeps denying that there's something wrong (if they react at all), but at the same time advises to exchange affected bottles for a new one, at no cost.

11. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

have you seen the Vetsulin review article at the top of this forum?

It's been made by the makers of the insulin.
    Another FDMB 'r living in the Nederlands said there vet is looking at caninsulin instead of vetsulin because the problems with the insulin don't affect Europe.
    It depends where it's made. I was clear it used to be made in Nederlands and now Bovaria but don't know if it's made in America and thus two different processing plants and only one of them is having the problem.

12. dikkop + mosje

dikkop + mosje New Member

After the November 2009 FDA warning we found out that there's only one production facility in the whole world for both Vetsulin and Caninsulin. That one facility used to be in The Netherlands (and I think Intervet's headquarters are still here) but it is now in Germany indeed. Vet and Can are identical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.