? White under tongue, possible tumor?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by meowsyko, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

I noticed today while my kitty was eating that there is white on the underside of her tongue. My camera isn't the best, but I'll try to post a video of it. She's 16, and we've known that cancer is a possibility for her, so not very optimistic about it. She is always very slow at eating, kind of just licking her food and pushing it bowl to the bowl than actually picking anything up a lot of the time.

We are moving next Tuesday so I'm going to probably just wait and get her new vet to check it out, since we would probably wait until after the move to do anything about it, if it is what we think it is. If anybody has a better explanation, please tell! We are already stretching our cat budget with her new Diabetes diagnosis, so not sure how this will go.

2. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Okay, I think I see what you're talking about, but I'm not sure it's anything to worry about. Definitely ask your vet to check it out but, after watching your video, I have to tell you that my cat eats in an almost identical fashion, licking and pushing the food to the opposite side of the dish. I actually turn his dish for him partway through his meal so he can get to all the stuff he's pushed up along the sides. So ask your vet after you move, but try not to worry too much in the interim. Sending prayers for a good report from the vet!:bighug:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

I've been just watching her eating and it looks like there is definitely some sort of mass there not just discoloration. Almost like she has some gum stuck under her tongue.
    But you're right, it might not be as bad as I think, I'll try to stay positive until we get it checked out. She has never had any dental work done so it could be something that is an easier fix... She just seemed to be getting so much better health-wise, vet actually told me today she thinks she's going into remission for her diabetes. I'll try my best to think more about that for now and forget I saw anything :cool:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

It would be easier for her to eat if you added some water to her bowl of cat food so that it is more soupier. That would ad more fluid to her system to help flush out sugars and bacteria. Many of us do that.

6. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

I used to do that. I've found she eats a bit better without it, she can grab little 'pieces' of it easier when it's not watered down.

7. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

8. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

That first one is the first thing I found that freaked me out! Can't do much now but wait a bit, we move provinces next Tuesday. I'll probably set up an apppt at the new vet for shortly after the move though, I was planning on doing that before this anyway. I know we probably wouldn't pursue chemo, but we might do a removal or biopsy, and possibly an x-ray or ultrasound. She is an old lady, and myself and my fiance are full-time students. For now, she is still eating, and is doing alright otherwise. Fingers crossed it turns out to be something not too bad...

9. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

yes indeed....

that's why i tho't to feel her jawline... her throat.... see if she responds or you feel something.....

i'm up because there's lightning which scares our dog.... and i found a lump on her while scratching her to calm her down....
    fortunately it's just a weird scab but also an open sore... but i'll have to have it checked out.....

10. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

aw, poor pup! Hope his sore heals well. I have a Thundershirt for my cat I got for a plane trip and when she was freaking out on Mirtazapine a while ago.. it seems to work well to calm her down!
    I'm up because my kitty has been keeping me up the past few nights, so I'm becoming a bit nocturnal. Like, it's 1am and I just had dinner :rolleyes:

11. Squalliesmom

I really hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about. Please keep us updated after she see the vet! Fingers and toes crossed for remission, as well! :bighug:

12. Squalliesmom

@rhiannon and shadow (GA) I hope your dog is okay, sending healing vines! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.