Whitey not eating...4 days following dental.!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JoyceOlive, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyceOlive

JoyceOlive Member

As some of you know my guy had his dental on the 18 th, Well..as of yesterday,his appetite is bad.I had to try every trick in the book yesterday to coax him to eat just enough to give him his shots am and pm,and his numbers were low so I did not give him much.There are no ketones in urine as of a few days ago.Today I can't catch any as he has not wanted anything to drink or eat once more,only today I can't get him to take even a mouthful.His amps BG was only 83, so he did not get shot..I am about to test him for PMPS, but don't expect much change since he hasn't eaten.He has ALWAYS been a good eater,so this is unusual.He seems fine otherwise except he is sleeping a LOT.ANYWAY...I was wondering if anyone else has had this occur several days following a dental procedure for their kitty.I am getting nervous and worried now.I know it is possible for sepsis and bacteria related problems to occur from all the gunk he had built up on his teeth. He had a shot of CONVENIA on the 12 th,6 days prior to dental,do you think that was enough to take care of all the bacteria? Anyone know about it??? If my baby boy doesn't eat something by morning, I will call vet as soon as they open and have to spend more money that we don't have to get him some help.God forbid that it is pancreatitis or kidneys failing!! See I am starting to think the worst!Help!! Need some kind of encouragement if there is any!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Thngs to try:
    Warming the food to baby bottle temp (check on your wrist)
    Active play for 15-20 minutes to trigger hunt, catch, kill, eat, eliminate, groom, sleep behavior cycle.
    A bit of grated Parmesan cheese
    All meat baby food
    Freeze dried treats such as Pure Bites
    Fresh cooked poultry or beef, no seasonings

3 days with no food = vet visit due to risk of hepatic lipidosis.

3. JoyceOlive

JoyceOlive Member

Thanks BJM..I just tested him and he was only 64, I don't know if I should force him,but I don't want his BG to drop to low or have him get dehydrated,so I diluted some of his canned food with some hot water and filled a fat syringe and forced him to have just a squirt,about a teaspoon.Believe me I have tried all the tricks that you suggest.Tell me,if his BG were to drop to hypo numbers,should I give him some honey or karo on his gums to keep him higher? ( because he has no insulin shot in him) should I be mindful to be testing all evening and during the night or what? Today is actually the first day he hasn't had food.

4. JoyceOlive

JoyceOlive Member

I just removed my 911.. Don't know if someone said a prayer or what,but my DH helped me get a good couple tablespoons of warm chicken broth in him from syringe,which must have given him urge to pee.I was able to catch and test and there was no ketones or sugar traces at all! Then he comes walking back to his chicken and broth on his plate and started eating a little! I tell you It was enough to make me want to cry with joy and relief! Of course he will get no shot tonight and I will keep a close eye on things.Wonder what tomorrow will bring? Whew!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you have not given insulin, he won't hypo.

Also watch for
    - meat-loafing (Sphynx position) which suggest pain
    - lip licking which suggests nausea

6. terriy

terriy Member

This calls for a kitty dance!! dancing_cat
    I am sooo happy to hear that he ate a little on his own. Keeping those prayers coming your way!!!

7. JoyceOlive

JoyceOlive Member

Thanks Terri for the prayers and well wishes for Whitey. I was in the kitchen awhile ago to give a final feeding to all my kitties and there he was front and center begging as usual to be first!He ate a good couple ounces of wet food,and was batting the others away ( he is the alpha- male) ! now I can sleep!

8. JoyceOlive

JoyceOlive Member

Thank you BJM..Actually,he was licking his lips quite a bit today,so maybe he was nauseous.Whatever it was is gone now!

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For possible upset stomach (and please, clear it with your vet), it can be helpful to give 1/4 tablet of plain Pepcid (generic is fine) about 20 minutes before feeding. It will reduce acid upset.

10. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

So glad Joyce that Whitey is feeling better. Thank God! :D

Kimmie

11. JoyceOlive

JoyceOlive Member

Thanks Kimmie,hey where's a picture of Hank anyway..would love to see the little guy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.