Whitie a.k.a. Smudge

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DenaAndSmudge, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

Hello, and thank you, thank you, thank you for this forum! My name is Dena, and my Smudge was diagnosed 2 days ago. He is a rescue kitty that picked me about a year ago along with his rescue-brother Fuzzy (aka Red), and I think he is around 5 years old. In the midst of wading through any information I could find I found you! My main concern has been looking for low carb food and understanding what diabetes is. Our goal is to be insulin free as quickly as possible (if it is at all possible for him) and to maintain better health thru a better diet.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet as the glucose may drop 100-300 mg/dL and reduce the insulin dose 1-2 units or more.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

3. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Welcome Dena, you are in the right place for great advice and support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.