Whitie PMPS 32! 0.5 71, +13 89, +14 152(shot 5.25), +1 180

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DenaAndSmudge, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

Trying not to freak out here...he is acting totally normal. I tested twice, once in each ear and got 29 and 32. I just read the sticky on what to do with low numbers, but I already shoved food at him! His bowl was completely empty, I just texted boyfriend at work and he did give him a tiny piece of bacon. Did the bacon do it? Will test again in 10 minutes and repost :(

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Follow the protocol until those numbers come up.
    Bacon is high fat, not really high carb. Karo or gravy, 1-2 teaspoons, now.
    Don't shoot.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Food is good; high carb food is better. Do you have HC on hand? If not, add a couple of drops of corn syrup (Karo), honey, or maple syrup to Whitie's food. Re-test in 15 min.

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

He needs high carb food or karo syrup....we need him up out of those numbers ASAP! I'm about to start dinner stuff and do some kitty meds, but I will check back as I can.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You would feed a teaspoon or two of gravy-based HC food. The alternative is adding a DROP or several of syrup to LC food.

6. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

ok giving the syrup thank you

7. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Come back up some Whitie!!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Dena --

Is there any way you can start to routinely get some spot checks during the cycle? I think there's a pretty good chance Whitie has seen some lower numbers at least during the AM cycle today if not at other points. With any insulin, you want to do what you can to get a test around nadir. This is particularly important with Lantus and Lev since dose adjustments are based on the nadir BG value.

And, of course, your kitty's dose will need to be reduced to 5.25u.

9. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

okay up to 71

10. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

I planned on doing another curve tomorrow as Sunday is my only day off and I work construction so crazy til it gets cold I'm afraid. The boyfriend just got switched to nights, so I really need to ask him to get me a mid cycle check around 1pm when he gets up.

Now I keep checking every 30 minutes, yes? Do I totally skip this shot cycle no matter what his numbers do?

11. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Keep checking until you get 2 readings in a row (without more food) that are trending upwards.

As for the shot tonight, it depends on your schedule. If it works for you, you can do two 18 hour cycles and get back to your regular shot times.

Looking at your spreadsheet, your starting dose and increases are pretty aggressive and somewhat inconsistent. Is the spreadsheet missing data or were you advised to be that aggressive?

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Has he ever had ketones or been diagnosed with ketoacidosis?

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yay! Keep testing.

14. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

The starting dose was recommended by the vet, and he tested negative for ketones when he was originally diagnosed. We were pretty much just given the insulin and told to check every few days to see what he was trending and adjust from there. We saw the vet once a week for a few weeks, then he said to keep notes and follow up in a few months. I found this site but didn't really take advantage of all the wonderful information until last week. I filled in the spreadsheet from my notes. Unfortunately, my vet says he likes pets to be pets and not the owner's patient, so I was lead to believe lantus was the miracle drug that would have my cat in remission in a few months... Ignorance is for sure no excuse, and I am sure glad I found this place.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Dena:

Can you keep the subject line up-dated with your test numbers? (Ditto on keeping the SS current with the numbers.) Several of us have our eyes on your condo to make sure you and your kitty are OK and we can see that at a glance via the subject line.

The conundrum with shooting tonight is whether you can afford to be off schedule. BJ's question about ketones is also relevant.

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

We cross posted. Good -- no history of ketones.

You want to make sure the numbers stay in the range they're in. Once the syrup starts to wear off, they may start to drop. If you didn't give any HC when you got the 71, we can see how the next few tests go and decide whether you should shoot. If the shot is delayed, then your schedule in the AM will be off. Can you afford to mess with your shot times?

17. Anne & Hyde (GA)

FYI - if you go to the top of this thread, there is a way to edit the header of the thread and add the additional tests there so people can see at a glance. In the same place, you can take down the 911 when the crisis has passed.

I recommend reading all that you can on the board. There is a lot if very useful information. I found that I had to read them a few times for even some of it to sink in.

18. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

I have wiggle room to do an 18 hour shot twice and then be back on track tomorrow. +1 is 89...

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You want to have 2 tests, an hour apart, that are not food influenced that are in safe numbers. My guess is the 18 hr cycle may be best or simply skipping until tomorrow AMPS and shooting then. It's your call.

(And thanks for updating the subject line!!)

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  20. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Actually, your +1 is a +13 ;);)

DenaAndSmudge likes this.
  21. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

Okay +14 is 152. Any thoughts? He is also drinking a lot... I'm thinking I should shoot just not sure how much.

22. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I would just reduce to 5.25u. If you're nervous about that, you could reduce to 5.0u, and just watch to see if his BGs trend upwards after the dose reduction or not. Most of what I'm seeing on the spreadsheet seems to indicate that the dose is in the ballpark for Whitie.

Since you're following SLGS, you'd reduce any time you catch a test under 90. Also, fyi, since you skipped tonight's shot, you can always shoot tomorrow morning's shot early if you want.

I don't think i've met you and Whitie yet and I just wanted to say welcome to the group! There's a ton to read, but people are happy to help explain things so they make more sense. Ask as many questions as you have - all of us have been new and remember how much there is to absorb.

23. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

Thanks everyone for your help last night. I did go ahead an shoot 2 hours late at 8pm. I just checked and at 445 i figured i was good to shoot at the 10.5 mark to get him back on schedule. I will monitor closely today and post in my spreadsheet. Now for a bit of a nap :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.