Who else has/had feline acne?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allie, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allie

Allie Member

Steve has always hadchin acne. Since we moved to grain free the decrease in acne has been remarkable. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the rest of it to go away?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

we just went thru this with Mousie recently actually. we switched from food BOWLS to food PLATES so as to keep her chin from rubbing in the wet cat food and we used stridex pads on her chin at least twice a day, preferably after she had eaten and her chin is looking beautiful once again :smile:

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The material is important as well; many are allergic or have reactions to plastic containers.
    Go with glass or stainless steel plates/bowls/containers.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Bailey had it bad. It went away by periodic shaving with a #40 blade and cleaning int he morning with a hexichloridine solute and in the evening with povidone- iodine (PVPI) topical antiseptic (Betadine is one brand).

5. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

We are dealing with it now with one of our civies. We are using the stridex pads too which we had used in past, he eats off plates (not plastic) and it still wasn't clearing up. Finally our vet recommended bactroban ointment applied 2x/day which seems to be helping alot. I actually happen to have 2 tubes of this (had one and didn't even know about it) so if you would like - let me know!

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Cats can't wash under their chins. Just keep your cat's chin clean. You can wash with a little soap and water or use an acne treatment pad. I've used witch hazel to clean my cat's chin. Combing the chin fur backwards with a fine toothed comb will remove the black specks.

7. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Our Taz had it once when she was young (over 10 years ago) and all of a sudden she's had 2 seriously nasty outbreaks in the last 2 months. I didn't believe the vet at first because it was so much more severe than I'd ever seen it- big hard lumps in her chin- but it does have the black flecks/dots like feline acne. I am starting to think that somehow the calicivirus our new kitten brought in made her more succeptible to the outbreaks.

We feed out of china and porcelin except for the timed feeders and have now put those away since this second outbreak. Her poor chin is going to have scars from the first one for sure and the hair is so thin. The vet gave us a salve to put on twice a day but that seemed to make the skin tough so it couldn't drain and it got worse so now I only put it on once a day and wash her chin with a warm wet washcloth a couple times a day. I feel so bad, last night when I got home from work it seem to be almost dripping blood. I am thinking about trying Neosporin on it to try to help the healing faster, it took over a month for the first one to clear up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.