Who Feeds Young Again to their diabetic kitty?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shari Lynn, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shari Lynn

Shari Lynn New Member

Thinking of switching. I've been doing the wet-food only (Fancy Feast) diet for my kitty, combined with Lantus insulin, for over 2 years now, and his numbers just don't move much. Thinking of trying this food, as I've heard good things about it. Looking to see if anyone here has actually used it, whether you think it's helped your kitty and how long one of those 8-pound bags really lasts.
    Thanks!

2. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi - It's a long story but I am having to feed my cat primarily dry food for now - I have found Young Again to be a great food for Murphy - his numbers are great on it - it is very concentrated so he only eats 1/4 cup a day (11 lbs) - his coat is beautiful - he develops food aversions after each pancreatitis episode so he currently won't eat it - I have to rotate foods he forgot he developed an aversion to. Evo (the food he is on now) really raises his blood sugar but Young Again absolutely did not - there's another food by Wysong - Epigen 90 that I am feeding him also - his numbers on that are between Young Again and Evo. So I have had great luck with Young Again - not so great results with Evo (although plenty of others do great on it) and the verdict still out for Wysong Epigen 90. One thing with YA - introduce slowly as you may see some loose stools at first and I think it stinks but others don't seem to be bothered by the odor. Hope this helps

3. Shari Lynn

Shari Lynn New Member

Thanks Carol! Sounds promising. I'm going to order some. I got some feedback on the FB page as well, and it seems like a lot of folks are happy with it and their kitties do well on it.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I think that Young Again do sample packs for you to try before you commit to buying the big bag. Might be worth contacting their Customer Service department to enquire.

Mogs

5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that's right Mogs - they do -- call the 800 number and they will send you samples

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. DaisyPaws

DaisyPaws Member

We used Young Again Zero for a period of time because our cat does very well on a tightly timed schedule. The dry food was much easier to manage in a timer feeder, and our diabetic cat did well with it. I wouldn't say she did better with it than on wet food, but results were comparable, which was all we were looking for.

When we opened a fresh bag of YA one day, all three of our cats stopped tolerating it well, with lots of messy side effects and lethargy. We contacted the company with a food contamination concern, and they were friendly, responsive and communicated well. Their lab indicated that there was nothing wrong with the food and that they had not had any other customer concerns; they suggested that our cats might have caught a virus. They also suggested that the problem could be with any other food we were feeding our cats and emphasized that we needed to feed YA exclusively.
    When our problems didn't clear up in a timely manner, we removed Young Again from their diet and saw an almost immediate improvement.

Our problems began right around the same time that they made big changes to their product label and instructions. I suspect that there was a formula change that wasn't tolerated well with our cats, perhaps with a new probiotic or with chicory fiber - an odd ingredient for pet food.

Our experience with customer service was positive, but it was clear that our cats didn't tolerate their formula change. Their "rules" (their words) for feeding stated that only YA should be fed. That doesn't work for another of ours cat with a medical need that requires that we pay special attention to keeping her well hydrated; she needs moist food daily. If the only way to feed their revamped formula without poor side effects is to feed it exclusively, it isn't an option for us.

Checking their website today, I see that they no longer have chicory in the food, but that the first ingredient is now pork meal; it used to be chicken. So - another formula change? I also saw a post from Young Again on another board (10/15) that stated, "Psyllium fiber and tomato pomace are the only dietary fibers we currently ad to all of our foods. Stool issues are no longer an issue and we no longer receive customer service calls related to stool issues. It has been an amazing development."
    It may be that the problems we experienced have been rectified. I agree strongly with the suggestion of starting with a sample packet, along with a recommendation to compare labels on each new bag to notice any formula changes.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  7. Steph M

Steph M New Member

Shari, Comet has been on Young Again for exactly a month and there is 40% left in the bag. He is around 10.4 lbs and eating about 35 grams (1.2 oz) a day. The bag should last us about 2 months. This is their consumption calculator link. Cost comes out to 30 cents per day.

When Comet was first diagnosed in October, we were trying to switch him to wet food (Fancy Feast) from Purina, blood glucose averaged 292 and saw spikes likely due to Purina kibbles. He was not eating enough wet food, so we would give in and put the Purina kibbles down. His blood glucose average is 268 on Young Again alone and he is eating consistently.

Cost, Young Again is worth it. Effectiveness...his blood glucose did go down, but not enough to avoid insulin. We just picked up Lantus this evening and looking to dose first thing tomorrow.

We will be ordering another bag for Comet in a week along with another bag of dog food.

8. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

We feed YAZC and have been very pleased. Now after reading about the changes they've made I'm wondering if this is causing Dasher's higher than normal bg. I've cut way back on it with him and will check his bg again in the next day or so and it will be interesting to see if he has a more normal number.

9. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Dasher was at 147 last night and now Blitzen is on the high side, still normal but at the high end.
    I'm waiting for a call from the nutritionist from the Young Again company as I'm wondering if there has been changes to the kibble causing the rise in numbers....odd that both are having issues.

10. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

If you read DaisyPaws post above, the content listing has changed. So there has been a formula change.

11. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I did read that and even posted on it. :nailbiting:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.