who has experience shooting bupe at home?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

need wisdom, hope i did ok. shot into mouth, .3 instead of the .45 that was instructed and this is his first shot....wanted to make sure he responds well to it.
    thing is i'm supposed to leave house like NOW, shot him like 10 minutes ago...
    he appeared mildly uncomfortable and wanted to see how he responded to it for the time when he will really need it.
    experience? what should i expect?

2. Lori
    Do a search for "bupe cheek"
    Or try pm'ing Kim...
    Carl

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Hi Lori,
    The .3cc is enough. When Gandalf was 14lbs he got .3cc bupe. You didn't inject it, gave it orally, right? It's absorbed through their skin that way, so you just need to get it in their mouth, not really make them swallow it. I try to give it in the cheek pouch.

It works fairly quickly, within an hour to hour and a half. Tom may seem kind of out of it. Bupe makes Gandalf stare in to space, sitting, not lying down. Not my favorite effects for him, but if it does the job for pain, it's worth it.

Why is Tom getting the bupe? It will help if he's in pain.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Vicky check pm's k

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

I did, can I answer something online for you? You should be able to leave Tom for a little bit, do you need to be gone more than 2 hours?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes and no...i am only about 1/2 mile or so away...i can keep coming back to check on him...i called the vet and they said give full dose so i shot another .15 into his mouth.
    he is very super calm...almost high-like, letting me brush him and carrying him around outside...he does'nt like to be carried when outside.
    he is now under the bed just staring.

i don't know...he seems all stranged out. b ut really not in pain anymore.
    i just thought he looked uncomfortable this morning...does NOT look uncomfortable now.
    loooks about as high as 3 hippie's actually....hate to leave him...don't want him freaking out or not knowing what's going on.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

pupils as big as saucers....i am uncomfortable with him being so.....different than usual.
    he is high..i can tell.

8. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Yep, that's what bupe does for some cats. Sit and stare. Sounds pretty normal behavior for it. He's zoned out, so he won't freak out or anything.

You on the other hand :shock:

9. Close the doors! Don't want him wandering the neighborhood all stoned.

10. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

This is just 'cause I know what .3cc does for Gandalf, but .45cc seems like a lot. It's probably not a problem if they told you to go ahead and give that much, how much does Tom weigh?

:lol: :lol: :lol: at Carl!

11. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

definitely make sure the doors are shut and he can't get outside. he'll surely get himself killed wandering if he's drunk.
    is there something new going on with tom that calls for the bupe?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, he was high alright...I can tell. But he has come down now, some.
    This is all too depressing to talk about.
    Now I can see he was in pain, by comparison.
    Tom is officially in Hospice Care....and I guess I have little more to say.
    Other than that...was it only 6 or 7 weeks ago Tom was so strong, so very very well.
    How quickly things can change.

13. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i'm sorry lori. did you take him to the vet again? did they diagnose something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.