Who is going to the bathroom on my carpet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris10S, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris10S

Kris10S Member

We are having a hard time knowing who is peeing on our basement floor. We have the diabetic cat (Oliver) and a dog (Bear). I don't think it's Oliver only because it is in a room that he doesn't really spend time in (walks through it to get to "his" room) and his litter box has pee in it. Bear is house broken and has only ever had accidents when we are gone too long or during the day when it storms and he gets scared. How in the world are we supposed to figure out who it is? It's on carpet so we can't really tell a puddle size. Could it be Bear because Oliver is getting extra attention or something like that?

Anyone run into a similar situation?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Get a camera :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  3. Kris10S

Kris10S Member

We have one upstairs and I guess we could move it overnight and see if we can catch the culprit. I will mention it to my husband tonight! I didn't even think about it!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

We are having a similar issue. I've narrowed it down to two. I think it's Julie... She may not like the deoderizing powder I put in her box. I promised her I wouldn't use it anymore and I haven't seen a mess in a few days.

Make sure you really get the smell out or they will keep doing it. My favorite accident cleaner is Anti Icky Poo Unscented which I get on amazon.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Does dog and cat pee smell different? Cat pee is such a distinctive smell!

6. JanetNJ

Cat pee is generally stronger smelling.

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Just finished scrubbing, scraping and mopping the basement floor, again! Has anyone ever used the epoxy based paint meant for concrete surfaces? It's supposed to keep fluids from seeping into concrete which is always porous. Actually it's not the floor they're peeing on, it's anything plastic, vinyl or paper so the reason cannot be not a dirty litter box, can it? Hauled out two hefty bags this time.

8. JanetNJ

do you have a box down there?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We have 6 cats so there's 5 big boxes. They're spaced apart and not too close to the walls. I have a sheet of plastic hanging from the joists to keep the dust down which has never bothered them. Our bully Lewis is getting worse and is starting to pick on Sam worse than before. That's why Sam was using the tub but he's a much braver cat now. I can't think of anything that's changed or would irritate them after all these years with the same setup. Maybe move 2 boxes to a different location and see what happens?

10. JanetNJ

It's worth a try

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

All I can tell you for sure is that it is not me !!!
    I agree with the camera recommendation. We have the same deal. But our dawgs are small, so their pee is just about as bad. Otherwise, cat pee smells a lot nastier that dog pee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.