Who is the oldest cat here?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Ma, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I know several cat people here have cats that are 18, 19 and 20 years old. Any cats that are older?
    Who currently holds the record as being the oldest at FDMB?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Jeanne likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The "average" age cats live to is 15 years, so 14 would be considered "senior" (isn't that depressing?)

Jeanne and Cat Ma like this.
  3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

It's strange when my vet calls my cats "seniors' when they are only 13 and act like teenagers. But I do like the "senior discounts" the vet gives :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Jane is going to be 17 in a month or two. Slowing down, but still plays more than the lazy Max who's about 9.

Jeanne, Critter Mom and Cat Ma like this.
  5. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Fred is 8 and doing very well. My Persian, Shelby, was just 2weeks away from his 16th when he got his wings. Shelby had heart problems.

Jeanne and Cat Ma like this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I've just seen on another thread that Joan's (@Mitzelplik's Mom) Mitz is 20 years young! :)

7. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

And Mitz just had dental work a few months ago!

Who can top Mitz in the senior category?

8. Jeanne

Jeanne Member

My max is nine in remission 6months now. Our none diabetic cat mitten became and Angel last month. She was just missed her 20th birthday by 2weeks. One of my saddest day flossing my old girl. Almost 20 she had a beautiful loving life.

Critter Mom and Cat Ma like this.
  9. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

My 11 range from 13 being the oldest to 4 being the youngest.

Spaz & Vegetable are 13, freckle & spud are 7; beans & trouble are 6; indy, legs & bear are 5; paws & bob are 4.

My husband had a car that lived to be 23 & lived 20 of those years with three legs, he was a fan belt kitty!

Cat Ma and Jeanne like this.
  10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@Vegetable, if I counted right, you currently have 11 cats?

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

@Vegetable -

I just lurve your cats' names, Jennifer. Your hubby's cat was some kitty! :)

12. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

I had a cat named Gizmo when I was younger that we had from when she was born until she died from an infection from an attack she sustained from another cat we got, and the vet told us NOT to give antibiotics. Woops. But she was 19 when she died, lived thru cancer twice, lived thru getting 120 volts for a few seconds while chewing on a power cord as a kitten, and lived for 3 months in a field when she hopped out of our moving van from Washington to California. What a trooper.

I seriously think she would have kept on going had 'orange cat' attacked her so viciously (we got orange cat to replace Slayer when he passed, and apparently orange cat didn't like Gizmo as we found out the first time they saw each other). Her final day (my junior year of high school) my mom took her to the vet and she was going to be put down the next day, and when she got home she gingerly crawled out of the carrier and laid down and went to sleep forever. Very graceful girl.

Sorry for long story lol. This is her @ 17 and Sport the killer pit bull who lived to be 17!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Cat Ma, Critter Mom and Jeanne like this.
  13. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

I love hearing all of these stories. So glad Cat Ma started this thread. Merlin is going to be 19 this October. He was two when he picked us at the Arizona Humane Society. Apparently, his previous owner dropped him off in the Humane Society parking lot that morning. He was waiting at the door when the first worker came to work that morning. I remember that he was at the humane society for a couple of months as he was very introverted.

14. Critter Mom

Saoirse's mummy was also called Gizmo (or Gizzie).

My but your Gizmo had some life! And she was a very beautiful girl, too. You'd never believe she was 17 in that picture.

pevsfreedom likes this.
  15. pevsfreedom

Gizzie's a great nick name. I've still never seen the gremlins movie!
    My mom got her as a kitten from my grandmother when I was born as a gift. She was very special to me.

Guess who that handsome baby is! Lol.
    [​IMG]

Mitzelplik's Mom and Cat Ma like this.
  16. Critter Mom

@pevsfreedom -

Never seen a mogwai? :eek: You haven't lived!

What a won-derful picture! :cat: Gizmo's markings are beautiful. I love the way she's minding you.

pevsfreedom likes this.
  17. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

LOl since we are including those that have passed my for soul was Loki and he was a blue point Balinese and thyroid issues took him not long after he turned 22.

pevsfreedom and Cat Ma like this.
  18. Critter Mom

19. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Witn was 19 when she crossed the bridge.

I found a calculator on this page that can calculate how old your cat is in human years. It also will calculate a person's age in cat years. According to it, I am younger than most of my cats at 9.8 years. http://www.calculatorcat.com/cats/cat-years.phtml

Critter Mom and Cat Ma like this.
  20. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

If the calculator is right, then my furkids are the most fit 60-70+ senior citizens I know!

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My kitty J.D. was 11 when he was diagnosed as diabetic. He lived to just over his 20th Birthday, thanks to this site.

22. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Wow Im not even 8 years old yet... Im just a wee lil kitten!

Cat Ma and Meya14 like this.
  23. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

My sister found Mitz as a kitten in spring/summer of 1995 and had her for 8 years. She drove 600 miles to bring Mitz to me when she could no longer keep her. Mitz is still a feisty girl and keeps our two 70 lb dogs in line:cat:.

IMG_1203.jpg

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Purrty!

Mitzelplik's Mom likes this.
  25. pevsfreedom

Using my PhD in math here I'm deducing that Mitz is now 20 years old? Wow! She/he's pretty! I get very encouraged to see diabetics live such long lives.

Cat Ma and Critter Mom like this.
  26. pevsfreedom

I'm 1.9 cat years old. Lol. Luna is 49 us-years.

Cat Ma likes this.
  27. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@pevsfreedom, great photo of Luna in the sink (probably the coolest spot in the house) and video!

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. pevsfreedom

Lol thanks. She's in the sink 90% of the time, rest of the time she's on my lap. If I turn the sink on she'll drink from it for as long as it's on. I got video of that somewhere too lol.

Cat Ma likes this.
  29. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Yes, indeed. She turned 20 in March. I hope she'll continue to amaze me for a few more years.

What is it with cats and water faucets? :) My sister had another cat that loved to drink from the faucet too. She would sit on the counter and wait for someone to come by and turn it on for her.

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. pevsfreedom

Haha. That's great that Mitz is still going strong. Our old kitty Baby refused to drink water that wasn't filtered and fresh.. seriously. Oh also she only ate food off a CLEAN PLATE not a cat food bowl..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Mitzelplik's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.