Who’s cat drinks a lot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Drinkning excess amounts of water is one of signs of diabetes , I know this.
    How many cats here still drink tons of water even after being on insulin ,even ones that have been on it for years.
    I have two brothers , one is Skittles who is my diabetic baby and his brother is name Feisty. As far back as I can remember , we have never seen Feisty drink water. It’s so weird.... I know he does because #1. He is alive and #2. I see him in the litter box urinating. Both have been strictly feed can food only since 2015.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Out of the six cats we have Noah (the only diabetic) is the only one I ever see at the water bowls. Must be the wet food.
    Marco has a thing for sinks and running water but that's about it. With Nigel it wasn't water that made us take him in, he was all over us every night for people food.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Since Mia went on insulin and my girls were changed to an all wet-food diet, Mia NEVER drinks. I literally never see her drink. I even have a camera on their food area and it is triggered by motion to record. I have never seen her drink in person or recorded. Willow does drink water but it is very occasionally. She may go a week without drinking then drink a few times then go several days without drinking, and so on. If they get enough moisture in their food, cats normally do not have much of a drive/need to drink. The wet food I give them is 85% moisture, and I add chicken bone broth and a little water to it. So, they get plenty!

4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Phoebe drinks water all the time. I think she's obessed with the bowl. She will sleep with her head resting on the bowl and her whole neck will be wet. She's always done this since dx.
    Has anyone mentioned that we like to keep it to one post per thread? You can always change the title to reflect the new ?. It becomes a lot of threads if everyone were to make a new thread with every question they had. :bighug:

5. sherrib

In the past when I have multiple questions in one thread that are important to me, not all get answered.Thats why I have different post.
    Just went through a traumatizing situation with one of my cats and I need to do everything possible to never have to go through this again and to try & reverse or stop the damage to his kidneys

My diabetic cat still drinks tons of water to, but for some reason he only likes the water that’s in my bathroom that my dog drinks out of. Skittles will actually bang on door at night until I let him in my bedroom he RUNS the bathroom to the bowl & drinks and drinks. I have 2 other bowls of water out and he will drink from them if I don’t get up .... just weird .

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think there is a one post per day 'rule' on the Lantus forum, but I think it is okay to post multiple posts here as long as each post is a different topic/question.

krazy4kritters and Leah like this.
  7. LeoTheTuxedo

LeoTheTuxedo New Member

Leo does, but the crazy thing about him is that he has always been crazy for water. When he was little I would refresh their water and he would come RUNNING. He's part maine coon and I've read that maine coons like water a lot. But before he was diagnosed with diabetes he was drinking so much water. I went through ~84lbs of litter in 6 weeks in the months up to his diagnosis.

He drinks a lot less since he's been on the insulin, but he's not regulated yet either.

sherrib likes this.
  8. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I saw Diamond drink water a handful of times even before dx. Since I switched everyone to canned food, the water bowl is just for show. I also add water to their food. One big reason to feed a canned/raw diet to every cat is so they get enough water. By nature healthy cat don’t drink lots of water because their bodies are built to get most of the water they need from their prey. Soooo, since a majority of our fur kids are not hunting for a meal we need to supplement their diet appropriately.
    I’m sure y’all knew that though. :facepalm::D

9. sherrib

He has been eating strictly can food since 11/07, but still drinks a LOT of water.
    I just want to do everything possible to stop any kidney problem. Today I went and got the only low phos can food from Petsense which is Pro Plan Urinary Tract Health flavors Beef & chick, Chicken Entree and Turkey & giblets. That’s all they had in the entire store . I wanted to get Tiki . I just hope they eat what I got because it’s expensive . Gotta have to slowly switch them over , plus I only got 14 cans ( 3 oz ) the store only had about 20 cans and I didn’t want to take them all.
    I think one of the mistakes I was making.... feeding FF Seafood pack 99% of the time.

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Cc is not regulated so she drinks A LOT. My cat stormy drinks often because she loves the drinking fountain on the end table.

11. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Bronx started drinking tons of water again a few months ago which I have't seen since I first discovered he had high blood glucose in late 2016. No idea why, vet's only answer is do a fructosamine since he still shows glucose in the urine. I do have his BG under control, so the excessive drinking is concerning but otherwise he is acting fine.

12. sherrib

What do you mean by not regulated?

13. sherrib

Maybe I need to bring this up to my vet. His urine last tested last week and he didn’t have any glucose in his urine.
    I noticed today that he might not be drinking as much, and the litter box not used as much. I will try and pay more attention the next few days.

14. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

Here is the link to food charts. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/links-to-food-charts.174182/
    There is a list of foods with under 10% carbs and 1% phosphorus. If you have a Petco near you, I would try finding/buying some of the foods there. If your cat does not like it, you can return it. Even If the can was opened. The just started carrying weurva, BFF and Cats in the Kitchen.

15. JanetNJ

It means her numbers are still high and all over the place

16. sherrib

Thank you, I have been following this list for years. The only place in my town is Petsense. All others are 1.5-2 hours away :(
    Nice to know I can return opened food at PetCo
    Started him on Pro Plan ( off the list for low carb & low phos) but last night his BG was high (415) and this AM he was 224.... even that is a little high for him.

17. sherrib

Skittles has been like this for the last week, I’m starting to wonder if his antibiotic is making his BG high

18. JanetNJ

Why not just order online through chewy?

19. sherrib

Because I don’t know what flavors they will like yet. Skittles likes the chicken of Pro , but his brother ( Feisty ) doesn’t like it. Feisty also doesn’t like Salmon, but will eat Cod but Skittles won’t. It’s better to buy individual cans until I find flavors they both will eat. For now, Skittles eats the Pro ( low phos food ) and Feisty eats Friskies. Skittles will eat some of it, but 90% of his diet is the low phos food.

JanetNJ likes this.
  20. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yessssss - Fena does this, at night! Despite me putting out overnight leftovers plus another can or two, she hugs the water pot and sleeps with her chin on it. Or, she used to - rare anymore, but yeah she did. Now Mao, her brother, does it. Again rare.. but...

Fena could care less about some foods, but not Mao, which makes me wonder.. and worry. He scarfs (hard core) foods that have low phosphorous in addition to low carbs - but his health is ok as I can check it, I'm gonna get him in but should I be worried?

Both cats - 4 x a day, less than 10% - Friskies, Fancy Fest, 9Lives, Special Kity - Fena, 3.5 tablesoons per meal, Mao 1 tablespoon per meal. Xetra water added when a cat eats on leftovers but leaves X amount. Xtra water per "overnight" 5.5 oz can, 1.5tbs per side, 2 sides.

Since I've included more water in their food, they don't hit the water pot - once in a blue mood for them during the day but during the night I think they hit it a bit more, I see some wet food "bits" in it, in the morning.

21. sherrib

Are you asking if you should be worried about Mao eating low phos food?
    My babies are 12.5 years old and plan on both of them eating low carb, low phosphorus food only. I don’t think it will harm the one who isn’t a diabetic because kidney disease in older animals ( and people ) can happen a lot easier. When I switched Skittles over to low carb, feisty had no choice because they eat the same food. Just like switching to low phos.... he really doesn’t have a choice. I guess I could stop free feeding and fed them separately if I really had to. Actually I might not have a choice about stopping free feeding because I won’t have anywhere to keep there food out like I can now once I move.

22. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yeah, I'm sorry.. I worry all the time. *laughs* I just didn't know if Mao knew something that I didn't, since it's his body...? I'm sorry, I'm probably worrying needlesss lee. My kitties drinking, I don't ever see them at the bowl -so I mark their notebook as "ok" and hope that means their overnight drinking. I'm going off intuition, google, and common sense - like I said, am wondering - help me. *sigh* :kiss:

23. sherrib

I completely understand ! I’m the same way ! Never worry about being to concerned about your kitties. You only want the best for them and the only way I learn is by asking tons of questions. I believe I’m the question queen LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.