Whutamigonnado with you, Snickers??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DreMeister, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well she went to the vet for a checkup last Wed. She has been slowing down eating, and drinking a ton of water but not doing much else but laying around. They did a complete bloodwork and thyroid panel, all were ok except for a little low on K, so gave us a gooey medicine for that. Her BS was 175. Now she has the runs, not drinking much, losing weight, and barely eating. She won't touch her favorite foods. I've been giving her ham lunch meat and wife fixed her some fish, which she does pick around on. We're giving her whatever we can just to get something into her. Thank goodness she's not vomiting. Yet. Otherwise she just lays around staring off into oblivion. Wife wants to take her back to vet tomorrow. Seems like every time she comes home from vet, she acts different. I just don't know what to do anymore. They basically told her they can't do any more for her. What?? At first she can't eat enough, then she just stops. She's losing weight even though she was eating like a horse. She cannot keep losing weight or she won't be around much longer. She's at 10.4 lbs. Since they pretty much said there is nothing wrong, is it just having diabetes that does this to her?

2. Daphne

Daphne Member

When the bloodwork was performed, did you get a copy of the results? Do you test her blood sugar at home?

Having unregulated diabetes can cause a wide variety of symptoms and organ damage, which then leads to more bad symptoms. A regulated diabetic wouldn't be showing these symptoms because of the diabetes, there would be another factor at play.

Chronic diarrhea can cause dehydration and eventually malnutrition. Having diarrhea may also cause inappetence.

What did the vet recommend for her diarrhea? What have you tried for her diarrhea?

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

No we don't get result copies unless we ask for them, and since my wife took her to the vet, she didn't ask for the results. We don't check at home because she barely lets us give her shots. The vet has to draw blood with a syringe because she won't let anyone get near her ears. She didn't start with diarrhea until a day after the vet visit. She's hiding right now, she may have to go back to vet today yet. I can tell to she is getting weaker, not walking much and just laying mostly.

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

Is this the same old vet - or have you changed vets?

5. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Same old vet. Wife is fighting me on changing. She likes the fact that it's only 3 blocks to the this vet vs. all the way the other side of our small town, about 3 miles. Yeah that's a cross-country trip.

6. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Have you ever had the pancreas test done. There is the specific fPLI which needs to be sent to an outside lab such as IDEXX or the snap test which can be done in the vets office. The snap test will only give a yes or no for pancreatitis but will not tell how severe it is. The specific fPLI will give the actual range.

Often refusal of food and lethargy can be signs of nausea and pain which are symptoms of pancreatitis.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Alexi

Alexi Member

I still think you need a second opinion, something is not right and you need someone who can take a step back and start from scratch, and who knows about feline diabetes.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Did you have any imaging (x-ray, ultrasound) done? I would opt for ultrasound over x-ray

9. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I hate to sound harsh, but I really think Snickers needs a new vet. Ask the wife if her convenience is more importnt then Snickers life. Perhaps she doesn't understand how ill Snickers really is. It would be better if you could find a way for you to take him to the vet yourself. I know it can be hard to work around a job and life seems to get in the way. I think this could cost Snickers his life if he keeps going to the same vet.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  10. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I know they did some sort of pancreatic test the last time but I don't know what kind.

11. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

The last time she was there they did x-ray and ultrasound, they found nothing at that time.

12. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I'm beginning to wonder if my wife cares that much about her. I know she's getting tired of the kitty waking her up multiple times every night. We leave food out for her, she won't eat it, wakes us up, wife feeds her, she don't eat, lather, rinse, repeat. The other vet used to work for our current one, she just went out on her own this year.

13. Tuxedo Mom

The whole thing of the vet saying that they can't do anymore for her is just wrong!! As much as going to the other vet is inconvenient I would seriously suggest having your wife...or you if possible...make the extra effort to see a proper vet. You can get all the test results from the other vet and if necessary, just have a consult meeting with the different vet with just the test results that have been done so far to get some feedback on whether you want to bring your kitty into them.

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  14. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I'm worried about Snicky today. She won't eat anything and is just sitting under the coffee table in the meatloaf, or I call it, doorstop, position. She may have to go in today. At least she's not throwing up. I'm gonna have to do some arm twisting and go with a new vet.

15. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Is there anything we can do to coax her to eat? She ain't gonna last long like this I'm afraid.

16. Tuxedo Mom

If she is in the meatloaf position then she is either nauseous, in pain or both. She will need to see the vet and get something for the nausea such as cerenia, something for the pain, such as buprenex (buprenorphine ) and possibly some SubQ fluid for dehydration.

ETA This really does sound a lot like pancreatitis, so if you take her in, see if the vet has the snap test for pancreatitis. It is only a yes or a no, but at least you will have an answer to that

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Like the others I do not want to sound harsh but this could be a fairly easy thing to fix--
    it sure would be awful if your kitty gets so bad that fixing the problem is too late--
    pancreas issues are very common and lots to fix them-
    SQ fluids-
    ondansertron for nausea
    cypro to stimulate appetite
    cerenia for nausea
    reglan for mobility
    none of this is hard-
    can you try some gerbers 2 stage baby food? most like the ham--and some prefer to lick off your finger-at least until you get proper care she has to eat or her liver will become hepatic-
    1 of mine gets meds 2 x a day and it takes minutes --literally.....
    please for your kitty get a better doctor before it is too late.....:bighug:

18. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

They did some sort of test for pancreatitis and keep saying she doesn't have it.

19. Tuxedo Mom

You really need to insist that you get a copy of ALL the tests that have been done so far. You have paid for these tests and it is your right to ask for a copy of all of them. There are a few people on this site that are able to read bloodwork/urinalysis and other tests as accurately ( or better) than many vets can. Also if you ever needed to go to the ER having all the test results would be of major help. Also if you do go to the other vet, this would save you from having to repeat many of the tests again right away.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I'm thinking she may have dental issues again. Don't know what caused the diarrhea. I asked my wife if they looked into her mouth and she says no. Of course she won't tell them to either, and that irks me. I noticed when she tries to eat hard stuff, it comes back out of her mouth, and that was with the not so good for her treats she always eats no matter what. I hate it that they don't look at her mouth knowing she's had dental work done 3 times in the past. Wife gonna take her back to vet tomorrow, I said for god's sake tell them to look at her mouth!!!! After tomorrow, because I know we can get her in there at a short notice, I'm taking her to the new vet to get new eyes to look at her. It's been a fun day. She crapped on herself this morning and stunk. Wife comes home from work, puts her in tub for bath, gets her dried off, kitty goes right into litter box, gets litter all over her, goes to poop, gets out before done, got it all over herself again, goes into bedroom and lays on carpet, smears poop all over herself and carpet, and back into the tub she goes. Wife has very short fuse right now, I just keep saying it's not Snickers' fault, she's sick dernit!

21. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

My wife doesn't ask for them and they won't volunteer them. I've said before, I have to work so she has to take her there, and there's a huge communication breakdown from what the vet says and what I hear at home. Kinda like you can cut your finger and by the time news gets to the other end of town, you lost your whole arm.

22. Alexi

Alexi Member

You need to take control of this situation, if you are thinking of taking her to a new vet why expect your wife to take her back to the old one? You take Snickers to the new vet tomorrow and call up beforehand so they can get all her results from the old vet. I have to work and have no-one to take my kitty to the vet so I make time, it's all a question of priorities.

Sorry if I sound harsh but by leaving it all to your wife you are permitting this situation to continue whilst watching your cat get more unwell. A cat who won't eat is telling you something, you need to start listening to Snickers.

23. Tuxedo Mom

Is there any way you could call the vets office and speak to them yourself...you should be able to just speak to the receptionist there. Tell them that you want copies of all the tests that have been done and then ask your wife to stop by and pick up the package. Maybe your wife has not been forward enough or insistent enough about having copies made.

24. jayla-n-Drevon

and you are right it is not Snickers fault.... at least she is trying and in the litter box... she needs your help (and drivers license!)

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Callie & Patches

Make a list of what you want to know from the vet (not eating, loose bowels, copies of test results, teeth etc) make three copies. Have your wife hand one over to the vet, saying "my husband wants answers to these questions". Have your wife write down whatever the vet says on the 2nd. Keep the third to refer to when you phone to grill the vet. This situation is awful. Your cat needs to eat!

26. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Problem is I have a big project going on with work and I simply cannot take off. Plus I was on call and I can't go anywhere as I have to respond immediately to trouble. So I cannot tie myself up even when I'm at home. It's my wife or nobody.

27. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well we got her some baby food this evening. She couldn't eat it fast enough. She's resting on her blanket now. I don't want to give her too much at once. I still haven't seen her drink water today and she hasn't peed all day. Worried about dehydration now. At least something's in her tummy. She's going to vet tomorrow, and I told my wife explicitly to get copies of the tests they did last Wed. Thanx for all the help.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  28. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that Snickers isn't feeling so good and having problems eating.

That Snickers liked the baby food gives you two clues:

1. It is soft and therefore is unlikely to hurt the mouth.

2. It is bland and easily digestible and therefore may be less likely to trigger intestinal discomfort.

Your current vet is very remiss in failing to check for gingivitis or other dental issues. It's the number one thing to check for all diabetics as they are very prone to dental/mouth issues.

Research any potential side effects of the treatment she was prescribed recently. Based on the clinical signs you describe I recommend you look for gastrointestinal side effects in particular. Good sites include:

www.drugs.com

http://marvistavet.com/pharmacy-center.pml

http://www.peteducation.com/index.cfm?c=1

As others have already suggested above, so many of Snickers' clinical signs point to pancreatitis as a potential issue. IBD is another avenue to explore. If Snickers were mine I'd look to get a vet to treat 'as if' nausea was a problem and look to get a prescription for ondansetron (and possibly a dose or two of Cerenia on top, especially if she vomits). If nausea is the problem the aforementioned meds work very, very effectively. I'd also recommend

When you get the test results, look at kidney, liver, B12/folate, enzyme and cholesterol markers for clues. Most importantly look for results for SNAP fPL or Spec fPL; these are the most commonly used tests for pancreatitis. If you don't see results for these tests ask the vet for the specific name of the test(s) the vet commissioned for pancreatitis so that you can make sure Snickers really has been tested for it. (There's at least one lab that offers an equivalent test to the IDEXX Spec fPL but I can't remember the name.)

It might be worth trialling a course of buprenorphine to see whether there is any occult pain. Also, if Snickers responds to the bupe then the reduction in stress and pain could help speed healing of any underlying issues.

It must be very frustrating for you that home testing has not proved feasible in Snickers' case; it could give you so much valuable information. Try home urinalysis if you can; it's better than no testing at all.

Sending prayers and positive vibes for Snickers, Dre. I know how very deeply you love her and I know all too well how heart-wrenching it is to see someone you love so much feeling so poorly. I feel for you from the bottom of my heart and I fervently hope that you'll get to the root of the problem really quickly so that Snickers will be able to eat properly and feel better very soon.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  29. Critter Mom

PS: Some sub-q fluids might help Snickers; if she's dehydrated that'll make her feel icky.

jayla-n-Drevon and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  30. Tuxedo Mom

Have your wife get ALL tests that have been done since you started. :bighug:

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  31. Critter Mom

I fully second Mary Ann's advice on this. Not all test panels are identical and it's important to garner all test data possible. It's also very helpful to compare the same marker over a period of time, hence the value of securing Snickers' historical test results from which you can build up a spreadsheet to help you track and compare results.

Mogs

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  32. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Update on Snickers. She went to vet this morning and is hospitalized. I went after work to check on her, and this time they wouldn't let me see her, just said she's doing fine and doctor will call you later. I did not care for the girl at the front desk at all. The main one of 2 vets called me, they're husband and wife that own this office, she said they did a white count and it was good so Snick doesn't have an infection but they are giving antibiotic anyhow. Her BG was 437 tonite so she gave her 3 units of lantus and will check again in morning. She's been eating, a little, of baby food. I said we got her some yesterday and she was really cleaning it up last nite, but still wasn't drinking any water. They have her on iv fluids. I said, BE SURE to take a good look into her mouth with the dental problems she had in the past. Last time they had to knock her out to get a good look. So, bottom line is for now she's stable, and they'll check her in morning and give wife a call. I hate the thought of her in there again by herself, but she's got to get better. Of course wife forgot to ask for test results, so I'll have to harangue her again when she gets home from work tonite. That's all I know right now.

33. Tuxedo Mom

If they gave her 3 units of Lantus tonight and she is still not eating well, they HAVE to check her glucose levels again before morning!!!!!!

The fact that they would not let you see her is unforgivable!!! I hope the treatment they are giving her will perk her back up. Did they even say WHAT they were treating her for? As soon as you can get her out of there, get ALL the test results and take them to the other vet. This clinic is NOT a good place

Prayers sent that Snickers recovers quickly :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  34. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Thanx for the encouragement. No they didn't say what they were treating her for, and I know this will be the last visit tonite for the office until tomorrow morning. I don't think they have a clue as to what's going on with her. She's been hospitalized there about 5 times this year so far. This will cost me another $500 I guess. They have about 8 vets in that place so you hardly ever see the same one. I know it's time to take her somewhere else regardless of what my wife wants.

Critter Mom likes this.
  35. Tuxedo Mom

They should have told you SOMETHING about what they were trying to do. They are giving her an antibiotic even though there is no indication of infection...they have her on IV..not that it is a bad idea, but why and are they giving anything other than a normal saline drip..are they giving potassium?? There is just no proper communication going on. How can you know what the best thing is for Snickers, when they don't tell you what is wrong??

Sorry to be so angry about this, but if it were me I would have torn a strip off everyone at the clinic. I NEED to know what is going on and it is the right of every pet parent to have that information. You have had Snickers at the vets numerous times with no long term improvements and nothing to show except a lighter wallet.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I just think they haven't the slightest idea what to do with her. There's gotta be SOMETHING wrong. I said there are many kitties with diabetes that don't get sick like this. She's only 11 yrs old. They have told us before "well there's nothing more we can do". What?? They give her test after test after test and claim they can't find anything wrong. She comes home and is good for a while then goes right back down the tubes. I've spent over $2,500 on her so far since January without much to show for it. I just don't think she's too far gone to put down yet. As long as she can still get around on her own and eat and use her litter box without assistance I want to keep her alive.

Tuxedo Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  37. Callie & Patches

I just don't understand vets not allowing owners to visit their cats. You wonder what they are hiding. At my vets, people go in and out to visit their pets whenever the office is open. It might comfort Snickers if you brought in something with your scent on it or her favorite toy or blanket. As soon as she is se to go home I would tell them off. Say not allowing you to see your own cat is criminal. If your child was in the hosital, you could be with her.

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

First, call the vet office yourself and request ALL medical records. You can pick up on your way home or to work or they can hand them to your wife. Maybe they can email them to you. Second I agree with the others. Your kitty is telling you something is wrong and depending on you for help. Third, there is no overnight staff and they increased the insulin with a cat not eating well. IMO that's a recipe for disaster. You need a new vet one who cares about your kitties well being. Can you be called at work so when wife is there you can be conferenced in to hear? I would definitely make time to get there and talk to them. YOU are the voice for your kitty. Speak up.

Critter Mom likes this.
  39. Critter Mom

This. On the most powerful anabolic steroids known to humankind.

There may be nothing more that they can do, but it doesn't automatically follow that nothing can be done. Even if you need to stick with that practice for pragmatic reasons, Dre, I think you could possibly argue the case with the missus that a second (or even third) opinion from an external practice is justified at this time; they could potentially identify the problem and then leave your regular vets to issue prescriptions and run any routine diagnostics required for monitoring.

Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Snickers and :bighug::bighug::bighug: for her bean; she's blessed to have you fighting her corner.

Mogs

40. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

I couldnt agree more. Right from the OP's very first post on our board i strongly recommended switching to a new vet. To me, these continuing problems are a result of poor veterinary care, and its not going to change until a better vet is consulted. I cant even read more of snickers sad story at the hands of this awful vet. It just upsets me.

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  41. Critter Mom

Great suggestion, Paula.

42. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Usually we could see her but whatever reason yesterday they didn't. She's gonna be there overnight again and come home tomorrow. My buddy and his wife clean the office after hours and I told them Snicky was in there and to go visit her. Snickers knows them so I feel a little better.

Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Critter Mom

44. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

My wife will have to deal with this. I'm working in an area right now that has crappy phone service plus I really can't take the time to spend on the phone. I told her again not to forget to get the records.

45. Critter Mom

Maybe write a checklist note for her to take with covering all the things you want addressed?

46. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

My wife is horrible about remembering to ask for things, and doesn't speak up when she should. I had it out with her a while ago when she said the vet asked why she was on a certain food that's bad for her. I asked her if she told her that last person that looked at Snicky told her to feed her that particular food just to get her eating. She said no and I said you HAVE to tell them that stuff! I'm not gonna let kitty go down without a fight. When I first got her, I didn't like cats at all. We were getting married and she wanted a cat but it had to stay here before she moved in because she lived in an animal free apartment. So, we adopted Snickers from our local shelter. I will always get my animals from a shelter as they need homes the worst. She was about a year old then. Snickers lived with me for about 2 months before wife moved in. It was trying for me, Snickers was a very odd cat, I couldn't hardly deal with her and she had to stay here during the day by herself. I know she was hard to handle but she had been adopted and brought back to the shelter twice before because she didn't work out for the families. I used to play jazz music on the radio when I was at work to try and calm her down. I came home one day and she had knocked the lamp over onto the floor, and I yelled at her. She crawled under the dining room table and cried. I felt so bad and I coaxed her out with some treats. I said, alright cat, it's just you and me, and you're going to learn to like it here whether you want to or not. The rest is history so yes I'm going to fight for her until the end, which I hope is a long way off yet.

47. Callie & Patches

We are all waiting to hear how Snickers is doing. I'm sending up lots of prayers for her.

Critter Mom likes this.
  48. Critter Mom

Me, too,

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

49. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Thank you for the prayers and well wishes for Snickers. She is home now resting comfortably on her blanket. She's eating so that is good. She wasn't eating much yesterday so they decided to leave her stay another night. On the other hand, I have much to be pissed about. They couldn't find an infection, but gave her a 2cd round of antibiotics last night, and we have to continue giving her oral drops 2wice a day. My wife goes to pick her up today, there's one person up front, no one comes out to explain anything, my wife asks no questions, and of course FORGOT to get test results for the umpteenth time. I am not happy. What do I have to do, quit my job so I can do all this myself the way it should be done??? I just want to bang my head against the wall right now. I don't know anything more about Snicky now than I did when she took her back in. Good Lord Almighty!! At least Snicky is feeling better. I missed not having her here for 2 days.

50. Tuxedo Mom

Glad to see Snickers is home and feeling better. What a mess with trying to get information from the vet. Is there any way you could call them before work or after work, depending on the times they are open and tell them YOURSELF that you want copies of ALL tests since Day 1 and all medications given and the reasons for them. They could put together a package with all the information, put it all in a folder and then all your wife would have to do is stop in and pick it up. It is obvious that if any information is to be squeezed out of this vet that you are going to have to be the one to give the directions. This clinic sounds very shoddy when they can't give ANY information about what they are doing or why they are doing it.

You have been trying so hard to get the best treatment for your precious girl and getting no co-operation all round. I feel so bad for you :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

At least your Snickers is back at home!

DreMeister likes this.
  51. jayla-n-Drevon

Thinking of you Mogs:bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  52. Critter Mom

(((Dre)))

I really feel for you - such a lousy predicament and lack of support ...

Do the vets have email? You could write to them telling them what you want. If that's not possible then I can't see any other way round this other than your taking a day off work, going in to the practice yourself, camping out at their reception and making it clear to them that you're not leaving their premises until you get the information you need.

I am very pleased that Snickers is eating and that she's back home with you.

Sending prayers that you'll find a way to get the answers - and maybe the other vets near you.

:bighug:

Mogs

53. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well it's not as bad as all that. They don't voluntarily give out the results and info, but you won't get it without asking either, which my wife always forgets to do. And only if I go in there and ask questions myself, I won't find out anything. It's just she has to go to the vet while I'm at work. I make it a point to tell the vet what kitty is and isn't doing and be sure to check for this and that. My wife basically just drops kitty off and goes home. I know she cares for Snickers, it's just not her forte to ask anything. But that ain't helping things either. It also didn't help when they wouldn't let me see her yesterday. "Doctor says she's doing fine and she'll call you later". Snicky is doing better, thanks for your concern. And I am sorry your kitty went to the bridge. Hoping to meet all of mine there, including my ferals we took care of and lost.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  54. Alexi

Alexi Member

Glad Snickers is home and doing ok, this is all so frustrating and I can't believe that a vet would admit a cat, treat them and fail to give any information on what the problem is and what to look out for at home. Since you are not getting much out of them I would write, a real letter addressed to the senior vet that they can't ignore, requesting copies of all her records and results, you paid for it so you should be entitled to it. Phoning or speaking to the front desk clearly isn't working.

My vet is very different, and nothing seems to be too much trouble for them, I can phone for advice any time (not that I need to very often) and they work in partnership with owners.

55. Callie & Patches

o
    That sounds like my vet. If you have an emergency situation, One of the 2 vets will meet you at their office. I know of several times one of the vets will come to your house to put down a cat, dog or even your horse. I have been going to them since 1983. These are kind loving people that know almost everyone in our small town. If they run into something that needs a specialist, They send them to the local University that has a vet school. I just wish my doctors were as good as these vets.

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Critter Mom

What Alexi said.

57. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to quit your job. I don't know what you do that doesn't allow you to take an hour once in awhile to take care of something. It's not like your doing it every day. If not I would call in sick if I had to.

I would make an appt with vet for consult,tell them a head of time you want the records so they are ready. Go in talk with them get the records then go back to work.

You are not getting anywhere. You need to take the bull by the horns.

Critter Mom likes this.
  58. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

It almost seems like we're troubling them by bringing her in there sick. I guess that's why they told my wife last time, well, we're all out of options for her. Nothing else we can do. But they sure took my $250 though.

Callie & Patches likes this.
  59. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well in my job I just can't take off at a moments notice, and when kitty gets sick, we don't waste any time getting her to the vet. My wife works part time so it falls on her to do the heavy lifting.

60. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

My buddy and his wife clean their office a few times a week. They also use them for care of their St. Bernards. They can't say enough good things about them. Maybe they care more for dogs and horses than kitties?

Callie & Patches likes this.
  61. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Here's Snicky resting comfortably at lunchtime today. She seems to be doing good but I keep a sharp eye on her habits. 20160926_122200.jpg

Critter Mom and Alexi like this.
  62. Callie & Patches

She looks like our civie Trixie

63. Tuxedo Mom

So glad to see Snickers at home and comfortable. She look very similar to one of my special heart kitties, Buzzie, who passed away almost 17 years ago. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  64. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

We've sure had our ups and downs with her. I put her blanket on the floor for her, it used to be in her corner of the couch but she doesn't jump up anymore.

65. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Sorry to hear about Buzzie.

Critter Mom likes this.
  66. Tuxedo Mom

Thank you. :bighug:

When we adopt a kitty we know that we will most likely outlive them. That is part of the bargain we make when we open out hearts to a furbaby. But the love we receive from them makes the pain worthwhile.

Critter Mom likes this.
  67. Critter Mom

68. Critter Mom

Glad to hear Snickers is at home and doing better, Dre. Lovely picture.

Might be neuropathy or discomfort. B12 methylcobalamin (e.g. Zobaline) would help with the former and IIRC Cosequin can help with joint issues (also omega 3 supplementation - Moxxor do very small capsules).

Mogs

69. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well Snickers had a traumatic few days. My step-daughter came down along with her 1 1/2 old son. My cat does not like anything out of the ordinary, she is not a "kid friendly" cat. We put her stuff in our bedroom, but she spent most of the time hiding under the bed. She wouldn't come out to eat much either. Hard to give her shots that way, plus she needs to eat more than she does because she's still losing weight. The visitors left today, and she's cautiously coming out again. She wants to make sure the little two-legged tornado is gone. She has eaten a little more though. I don't like her being upset, but I guess I can't ban people from coming over.

70. Callie & Patches

Poor Snickers. I hope she starts feeling better and eating now. She has been through way too much for a little kitty.

71. Critter Mom

(((Snickers)))

Hope she's feeling a bit calmer today, Dre.

Mogs

72. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

She is doing better this morning. It compounds things because she is sick. Little grandson doesn't realize why kitty runs from him. She actually didn't wake us up at all last night. She's not eating a whole lot right yet, but at least she's eating. The other day she did something I've never heard before, she was laying on her blanket in the bedroom and purring so loud I could hear her in the kitchen. I checked on her, she just laid there purring very loudly. Ever heard of that? On a side note, I got my little grey & white feral kitty to roll over so I could pet her belly. She purrs like a diesel! I would like to get her tame so I can get her fixed and bring her into the house eventually. I wanted to get a pic of her this morning to show here but she ate and took off before I could get her. She'll be back at lunch time for some lunch meat.

73. Critter Mom

By and large cats purr for two reasons:

1. when relaxed and content.

2. to self-comfort when something's up.

Any other odd clinical signs or anything unusual going on that day, Dre?

Sending scritches for Snickers and :bighug::bighug: for her kitty poppa.

Mogs

74. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

This was not a relaxed purr. I had heard when they don't feel good they purr like that. I haven't noticed anything other than her water intake is lower than what it was but then she was suckin' water like a well pump. She hasn't purred like it since Thursday when I heard it. She's still recuperating from the grandson's visit. Here's a pic I just took of my feral, Little Grey II, with Momma coming into view. I was getting ready to feed them lunch meat. little grey II.jpg

Critter Mom likes this.
  75. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Also I'm not happy with the syringes we get at the vet. They keep changing them and the new ones have a slimmer and longer needle, I have bent 5 of them trying to give her insulin. Of course then I hafta throw it away, with expensive Lantus trapped inside. Where can I get some good ones at?

76. Critter Mom

There was a thread on here a while back discussing duff batches of needles where the point is blunt.

I suggest you post a thread on Health asking for suggestions about good syringes. (I'm in the UK and I use BD Microfine U100 0.3ml Demi syringes. Short, pretty consistently sharp needles but you need to check the syringe markings carefully because sometimes they can be w-a-y off.)

Have you checked ketones for Snickers? I know you've got issues with BG testing for her. If you're not already doing so I'd start measuring the amount of water you put down every day so that you'll get to spot any overall trends in consumption for the brood (not ideal but better than nowt), and keep a regular check on Snickers' hydration levels.

ETA - to be on the safe side I'd recommend doing a full home urinalysis just in case the recent stress might trigger any urinary tract problems (e.g. stress-induced cystitis).

Did you ever get the hard copies of the test results? I reckon you might be wise to give that another go.

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  77. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I have not gotten the test results yet. I need to do that this week. Last time we had her in there they said there was no ketones. They said ketones would make her lose appetite and throw up. I have strips here but need to either catch her peeing or use the gravel everyone talks about. I tried to stick one there when I had a rare opportunity to see her peeing, but she sat on it and pushed it into the litter, so it had litter and crud stuck to it rendering it useless. Snicky thanks you for the skritches.

78. Critter Mom

On that day.

Ketones can appear at any time. And build up very quickly. Snickers has a history of DKA and is therefore much more vulnerable to throwing ketones. It really is something you need to test for daily, Dre - doubly so because you've not been able to get Snickers to accept home BG testing and you have no idea of how high her blood glucose levels are. She's sick, her BG status is unknown. She's a ketone kitty. You need to test to protect her.

I despair of your vets.

Ketones may be present for a bit of time before a cat starts showing clinical signs of ketosis/DKA. Daily urine testing (especially when a kitty's off colour) increases the chances of detecting the build-up of ketones as early as possible and getting immediate treatment to flush them out of the system before the cat gets really sick.

Try isolating Snickers with her litter box for a while and put some plastic wrap over the litter in one of her 'favoured' spots in the box until you get a sample. The plastic wrap should catch enough urine for you to be able to run a ketone test. Some members here use a long-handled spoon to catch a sample when the cat is peeing. If you use urinalysis strips that include tests for both glucose and ketones it would also give you some bit of a better idea of Snickers' glucose regulation status.

Mogs

79. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I honestly think my wife is stressing our kitty out! She does fine with me when it's just us here. My wife has yelled at her trying to get her to eat. I told her, don't yell at her, she doesn't understand what you're saying. She will eat when she wants to. My wife worked tonite, kitty was here with me, I fed her, she ate, I gave her shot, she ate some more, and now she's sleeping. I'll find out this weekend, my wife will be out of town for 4 days. In the past when my wife was gone for a few days, Snicky gets energetic, does thing she hasn't done in a while, eats good, and doesn't wake me up at night or throw a fit when I inject her. It does sound like my wife's antics are stressing Snicky out. I know this can't be good for her delicate health. Hell it's stressing me out too!!!

80. Critter Mom

I think you could be onto something there, Dre.

81. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I'll see this weekend how she acts with just me here. On a side note, I noticed her pooping today, it's not diarrhea, but it's not hard either, and it looks like toothpaste coming out, and mustard yellowish instead of brown. Any clues as to what's causing this?

82. Critter Mom

The poorly-formed, yellowy poop could be indicative of a GI issue (e.g. bacterial infection), liver issue, or pancreatitis. Vet exam and stool sample analysis is needed as soon as possible.

Is the poop whiffy? If whiffy, how whiffy?

Does it look any way marshmallowy?

Have you fed a different brand of food lately?

Have you started feeding a new batch of Snickers' regular food?

Does Snickers eat Friskies food? (There has been a report of a bad batch here over the last few days.)

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  83. Critter Mom

84. Critter Mom

85. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

How are you? Hope this evening find you good. Well I got a closer look at her poop, it's not poofy, it's got about the same consistency of toothpaste and comes out like that. It is also light brown, not yellowy like I first thought. We haven't really changed food, but when she won't eat I give her whatever she will eat, not always good for her. She's doing good since mama is away. Last nite I slept on the couch, and woke up when she was climbing back down the arm after sitting there looking out the window. She only does that when my wife isn't here. She's been somewhat subdued, but she is eating and right now waiting for me to cut up some boiled chicken I just made. I do think my wife gets Snicky's nerves edgy. Yesterday when she was leaving, she told me as soon as kitty heard the garage door opening, she fired off under the bed, thinking she was going to the vet! Even if my wife babys her, I still think she's edgy because my wife is just here. Guess I better kick my wife out.

yukon25 and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  86. Critter Mom

87. Callie & Patches

Is there a Feelaway for that?

88. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

What's that?

89. Tuxedo Mom

I think she meant to say Feliway ;)

"
    What is Feliway for cats?
    When a cat feels safe in its environment, it will rub its head against furniture, walls or the bottom of the curtains, leaving substances called facial pheromones. Feliway is a synthetic copy of this pheromone and is proven to reassure and comfort cats, helping them to cope with changes in their environment.'

90. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well, my wife called this morning to see how Snicky was doing. I said, just fine. She's eating good, she's upstairs now on the bed sleeping, and Friday night she was up on the couch looking outside. She said, "well she doesn't do that when I'm there!" I said maybe that should tell you something. You're driving her nuts and stressing her out. I just take my time with her and don't hound her to eat when she doesn't want to. She's content right now. She said maybe she should stay gone, I said not with MY car you ain't!

yukon25 and Critter Mom like this.
  91. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I see. She doesn't rub much anymore, but does to my hand when I pat her head. My outdoor ferals do that too, they rub my hand when I bend down to pet them.

92. Tuxedo Mom

Rubbing is a way of "owning" that item or person. It is their way of saying "this is MINE"

Critter Mom likes this.
  93. Critter Mom

Given that it's the missus that takes Snickers to the vets I guess that might very well make Snickers' think of her as 'bad cop'.

94. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Ahhh, very interesting observation, Mogs. Especially with how much Snick has been going to the vet lately, that association could clearly be an issue, especially since it sounds like Mama is stressed out at the vet too (?).

Since Dad can't go to the vet with Snickers, how to help break that cycle? Feliway sprayed in the carrier first, then...extra low carb treats and praise from Mom upon returning hone?

Critter Mom likes this.
  95. Critter Mom

96. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe, worked wonders for one of our boys at the vet. Chilled him out nicely.

ETA: He wore it around the house too. He just really liked it. Might be worth a try for Snickers when Mom is around just to change the dynamic. They have a money back guarantee.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  97. Critter Mom

98. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Yeah, I've heard from my wife before when she has to take Snicky to the vet.....How come I always have to do it!! I say, maybe it's because you work about 15 hrs a week scattered over 3 days, yeah, I'd say you have more time than I do. As soon as my wife starts closing doors so she can't run and hide, she starts howling profusely. Even when she was at a low point, hiding, not eating or drinking anything, and I thought she was a goner, she still put up a helluva fight when we put her in the carrier!

Critter Mom likes this.
  99. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  100. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.