Why are Molly's needs all of a sudden changing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele&Molly, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Hi all!!

6 days ago Molly went low on her regular dose. By low i mean her blood glucose number was 31 - we have never seen a number like this and it scared the hell out of me. She, on the other hand, couldn't have cared less and was behaving perfectly normal.

Since then her numbers just keep decreasing. As her numbers decrease, we reduce the dose and her numbers decrease further.

What is causing this? Is it an indicator that we were giving too much insulin all along? Could the weather be affecting her (it has been over 95 for days and she does not handle the heat well)? Her diet has not changed and she is eating as regular so the number reduction is not due to decreased amounts of food).

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome. Thanks! -Michele and Molly

2. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Without consistent spot checks it is hard to say what the "why" is. And even a curve here and there would have been nice if we are really to know the whole picture of whether or not she was overdosed. But it is certainly looking good! I like that you are not reducing the shot too much on those lower preshot numbers. Maybe one unit is going to be her dose from now on - try to stick with it. And get more spot checks - take her on the boat with you if you have to! Just kidding - you know that. :) :D

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Boat?! You have a boat? Can we all come too?

Yeah, there's a picture, a bazillion cats on a boat....

The answers to your questions are "yes, no and maybe", but not necessarily in that order. Oh, and I forgot "I don't know". It is possible that she was getting a bit too much insulin. The 1u looks good for now, but I would want to see some below 100s at nadir, so maybe after she settles in at this dose and you have some data with different spot checks and maybe a curve, try a fat 1u and see if that can bring down that nadir to below 100. She may need the 1.25u, but I would try something in between that and 1u first.

4. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Thanks you guys!!

(and omg, imagine Molly on the boat? HA!)

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing as spontaneous remission?
    What are you going to do about Catspa? They really need to be testing her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.