Why can cats go into remission and we cant?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by concrete, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concrete

concrete Member

Hello everybody,

When I tell people my cat went into remission people always asked me why can cats go into remission and we cant? What is the difference maker? I'm sure there has to be some research on this already done.

Does anyone know? Pardon me if this has been discussed already here.

Dan

2. Because cats are a superior species! :)
    I've wondered the same thing. So I did the logical thing.... I googled...

Apparently, it can happen for humans with type 2 diabetes.
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinolo ... etes/24997
    This is just one of many links. It can happen without the surgery too it appears.
    carl

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i was going to say i thought i saw something in the last year or so about a doctor in Missouri applying tight regulation ideas to his human patients and getting them into remission.

also fwiw, i personally think my mom's diabetes is near remission, if you go by numbers. she has a harder time keeping her BG levels high enough than she does keeping them down it seems more often than not. her habits are so routine to her as far as what she eats and when she eats that her dr has had to change her medicine doses DOWN so much over the last few years it's crazy. unfortunately between her prior doctor and herself her diabetes and blood pressure was so out of control for so many years she's suffered too many side effects from it now so while her diabetes is nearly non-existent anymore, her kidneys and her eyes for instance say she's still pretty sick

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Type 1 diabetics- cat or human- cannot come off insulin. But Type 2 diabetic humans can become diet controlled with weight loss and diet change, same as our cats. Of course, we are not obligate carnivores, and we need carbs, so it can be harder. Also, cats' beta cells in their pancreas can heal and regenerate, and we're not so good at that.

However, in both species, it's important to remember that being diet controlled still means you are diabetic. There's no cure, in either species. Yet. ;-)

5. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Ooh thanks for that Karen! Good question & wondered myself (being pre-diabetic & taking precose). I could stand to lose a few pounds, and exercise more.. but not fat by any means. It runs in my family heavily too, so was wondering about that. Cats pancreases are obviously far superior to ours!

6. concrete

concrete Member

Very interesting. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.