Why Caninsulin insists we use their syringes.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Noah & me (GA), Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Why does Caninsulin insist we use their syringes. I switched to a 31 gauge 1/3 cc Monoject, my vet thinks I can't do the math. It's not that hard. Something I'm missing?

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I used Vetsulin (same thing) for a long time and bought other syringes with half unit markings to make it easier to measure out the dose. I would ask my vet. Perhaps the manufacture or your vet just wants to make more money.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Because the concentration of insulins can vary, having a specific syringe to match the concentration reduces dosing errors when prescribing by units.

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

My vet never recommended any one brand of syringe over another. He just said to be sure to get U-40 syringes. He was tickeled pink when I found the half unit syringes. I think, by law, all syringes would have to be the same accuricy. I suspect that some drug representation pushed thos syringes .

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

As long as it's a u40 there's no math to do. The brand doesn't matter. Now if you start using a u 100 be very careful to use a conversion chart.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.