Why does his BG rise?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if someone can help me understand what's happening:

If I test him around +2-+3, a few times there has been a rise in BG. 2/7, 2/10, 2/15, and today.

He's eating FF classic, Stella and Chewy's, and Ziwi Peak. Do any of those have more carbs than is allowed?

Is it within the margin of error on the meters, so I shouldn't worry about it?

Can the food spike last that long? I thought after two hours it was okay, but maybe it takes longer than that to settle back down?

Does the rise indicate that he needs an increase in dose again? I'll be home through the weekend, except for running errands here and there, so I could monitor him.

Or is it just one of those things, and there isn't an explanation or anything to worry about?

Thanks everyone!!!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

To me, these seem like normal meter variances. Up 10 points here, down 20 points there. I think your food looks fine. What is most interesting to me is that he is in the same range after several days without a shot.

He does not drop much for nadir either. Is there any chance your insulin is not good? If you think it is fine, I would go ahead and increase the dose by 0.25 - on a cycle you can monitor carefully. He is in regulated numbers (which is great and supports pancreas healing) but he is not in the ranges where you could stop insulin.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I've wondered if the insulin was bad ever since I got it. It just hasn't ever seemed like it was doing much. I tried talking with the vet, but he wasn't willing to consider a refund despite showing him the data. So I could try a new vet (which I've been thinking about anyway), but then I have to pay for a new visit, vet tests (since i self diagnosed him this time), and a new bottle of insulin. That's a pretty big expense. If we hit 2.0u and still not seeing any movement, I think I'll have to just do it though.

It's nice to hear that he is in numbers that allow for healing. I was wondering what numbers were needed to give his pancreas a chance to recover. But increasing another .25u last night, and still seeing the same range isn't giving me much hope that this insulin is doing him much good. :(

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your numbers look very consistent. Always in the low to mid 200's. I'd like to see the lows a little lower, but otherwise everything looks good.
    2 is not a high dose. I would up it to 2 and see what happens. I had to hit 3 before seeing real progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.