Why does Josie's poop smell so bad?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by eccentricfuzzyme, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

Josie's poop is soft and reeks to high heaven. As soon as she goes you can smell the stink all over the apartment.
    It is very difficult to live with, as I (try to) rent my spare room to make ends meet, and people are very turned off by this.
    It has been going on for months, so I assume it is something to do with the diabetes. Is it just a sugar thing? Or an effect of the insulin or b12?
    All 3 cats are on the same food and the other two have normal poop that doesnt smell like this.

2. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

oh, and she occasionally poops outside the litter box. usually when i am in the shower with the door closed and she cant wait (thats where the litter box is)

3. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

I'm not sure about the link between diabetes and soft stools, but sometimes individual cats have an intolerance to a food. What works OK for one cat might not for another. I know that is very little help, but my cat had allergies and several of the foods we tried gave her soft stools.

I seem to recall Dr. Lisa has some tips about things you can try adding to the diet to help with stool quality in one way or another... things like canned pumpkin come to mind, though I don't remember how much she recommended. You could also try some FortiFlora.

I'm not recommending this per se, but when my new kittens had soft stools, our vet gave them a wormer and put them on a course of antibiotics on the assumption that they had worms or an infection of some sort. It seemed to work... or maybe they just got acclimated to their new food at the same time. Either way, their stools firmed up. If you suspect she has a GI infection of some sort, maybe that would be worth a try? In all honesty I don't really like putting pets or people on these types of medications without knowing for sure that they are needed, but if the issue is hard to diagnose or you don't have the money to get it diagnosed, maybe it's worth a try? The wormer was one pill that the vet gave them, so that was very easy. The ab pills were tougher, but we were lucky enough that they would just gobble them up if we mushed them up with a pounce treat. I don't think either was very expensive.

Tummy trouble in cats can be very frustrating. I hope you find a solution.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Perhaps you might take a specimen to the vet and have it checked for bacterial overgrowth, which the higher glucose levels might support.

Also, if the pancrease is not putting out the correct digestive enzymes, in addition to not putting out insulin, the food may not be digesting properly. Something to discuss with the vet.

Activated charcoal, used in aquarium filters, will adsorb noxious odors. Put a thin layer in a tray, or in a thin sock and place near the odor source.

Room air cleaners with charcoal or zeolite filters actively pull the odors out of the air; that may be helpful too.

5. BrodyCat

BrodyCat Member

Did the smell come on with a change of diet? Brody used to get Innova low fat canned food and Wellness Indoor Cat Health dry. OMG his sh*t did stink to no end :eek: . Even when he covered it the smell leaked into the living room. Once his diet was switched (to k/d at that time) his poop became much more tolerable. I think maybe certain foods just don't agree with certain cats.

6. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

damn, i hope it isnt the food. she is on the only food that is available to me that is grain free and high protien.
    unfortunately i think this is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back with her.

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I've about decided it's when KTs sugar is elevated for more than a day such as in one of his bounces. Other culprit is his old HC DRY food again! We can tell it's been deposited when he exits that bathroom like a bullet - doesn't stop until he squishes his nose against the furtherest wall 65 feet away when his brakes don't work. DH grabs the febreeze while I do the scoop and gag...he won't even stay and cover it.

TMI???? :eek: :D ohmygod_smile

8. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

the food she is on now is way lower carb than the food she was on before diagnoses and this is a new problem.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

there is a possiblility of food contamination with mold, fungus spores, etc., plus fats can go rancid over time. Are you keeping it refrigerated when dry? That helps reduce problems with that.

10. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

it isnt refridgerated, but a bag only lasts 2 weeks or less and this has been going on for 2 months or so, and the others who also eat it have no problems.

i am going to post another post asking for advice on other dry foods besides the evo. i will link here in a minute for anyone who might have input other than "switch to wet".

11. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.