Why does the vet tell me not to shoot below 180?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Airway, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airway

Airway Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't some insulin better than none? I've given insulin below 180 many times and Orion has been fine. When I ask her why she says to avoid a hypoglycaemic episode. If I'm around to monitor him and he has food available, what is the danger? Am I missing something? If he's at 50 I get it, but what about 150?

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I agree with you, Airway. I think they might just say 180 to cover their tails? One of the Vet's I was talking to said don't shoot under 200. Yeaaaaahhh, I have already broke that rule too because I am, for now, around to monitor him :cat:

Angel's mommie likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The reason many vets use a higher "no shoot" number is that many, many CGs do not home test, either because it has never been suggested or they are unable to for whatever reason. Vets will give the higher number in order to avoid potential hypos. Since you are testing regularly this does not apply to you.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think that's good advice for someone in the beginning, but as you are more familiar with testing and know what you're doing its fine.

5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

My Callie has had diabetes for almost a year. I test and stick with not giving a full dose at 180 unless I give a reduced dose. It's not worth taking a chance giving a full dose when their glucose is under 180. I will reduce 1 unit at 180 and if she is below 150, I would just give her a token dose of .5U just to be safe. I don't think it's good to skip insulin altogether, but we should give a tiny dose when their BG is really low. Remember the important number is not what kitty is now, but where he/she is going in a few hours.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Looking good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.