Why Home Testing is Important

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Ma, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I took CJ in for blood work. Since her home BG #'s have been great (averaging between 60's to 90's), I figured her results at the vet would be a little higher but not terribly so. Imagine my surprise when I got the results: 256.

Ok, 256 isn't too bad. CJ has had much higher #'s at the vet in the past, #'s over 475. Interestingly, she got the same exact high #'s over 475 on two different days at different times with the second reading while fasting (not recommended).

But, remember the #'s I've been getting at home.

I gave CJ calming chews that usually relax her but this time they clearly had no effect whatsoever on her. I arrived at the vet with a cat shaped like a bowling ball and rabbit ears pulled back. In other words: STRESSED.

It didn't help that she was in a waiting line for over 30 minutes with a bunch of barking dogs to get blood drawn.

Fortunately, I home test. snd fortunately my vet now supports home testing. I showed the vet my BG logs and there was no disagreements or lectures over the difference in vet #'s vs my #'s. No unnecessary stress for me.

So, for those who do not home test, are afraid to, and rely solely on vet glucose readings to determine insulin dosing, be aware of how much of a difference home testing makes.

As for CJ, her home reading a few hours after her vet visit: 87. She was happy to be home.

2. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

Hey Cat Ma,

It might be worth noting that Luna literally jumps 250 at the vet. I've had her at 90 before brining her in and she was over 400 just from the vet visit 15 minutes later. Luna is typically shaped like a bowling ball regardless but her meows get sadder and sadder the farther we get from home.

The point is that the 'spot checks' that cost $25-30 at the vet are typically worthless since they aren't really indicating anything but the BG's of a completely stressed out cat. I had one vet tell me to STOP giving insulin off of a spot check one time, because she was under 200 at their office, at the low point of her insulin cycle... just horrible advice.

I've noted what you're saying as well in terms of sporadic looking #'s and lack of concern. If I didn't know any better they are grabbing blood with the same meter I am, and charging 500x more for it per strip.

Brashworks, granadilla and Cat Ma like this.
  3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

The glucose was done as part of a pre-dental blood panel. The vet said the glucose check was included in the price but said he'd ignore the vet results. I was curious to see how much of a difference the vet # would be. It didn't help that CJ was mad at me for not giving her breakfast beforehand and had to watch Bonnie gobble away.

I guess I was expecting the calming chews to kick in this time but they didn't.

4. pevsfreedom

Yeah Luna had the dental 2 weeks ago or so and that morning she was 122 and at the vet I think he said 475 or so just 15 minutes later. No food/insulin. It was kind of funny because the vet said, "Well the # makes sense since you skipped insulin this morning" and I'm thinking well I don't think insulin kicks in in 15 minutes, but whatever doc.

PS am glad to see CJ is doing well (still waiting on some pics!) :p

Cat Ma likes this.
  5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Trying to figure a way to post photos in one place. Must be a way in our profile. The problem is when CJ sees a camera, she purposely turns or walks away. Same with Bonnie. The one I have posted was taken by a pet sitter. She had success because CJ froze for the camera.

Good to see Luna's latest pic. She is quite a character!

:nailbiting:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

7. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Chris to the rescue! Thank you! Will take me some time to figure out how to set this up.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I answered the questions on Coolification but when I press "Gimme Code", nothing happens. I also can't find the section where to add photos. I am guessing I'd do that in one of the "add link" sections but don't know how to add an URL for photos.

With the first section, Create a Basic Profile, how do I add photos to a Google document? I am not familiar with Google :eek:

Is there a way to do this on my Profile Page directly?

9. Chris & China (GA)

I just tossed this together...China's Profile

To add pictures, you go to the top left side of the page and find "Insert"...click and choose "image"....a new box pops up for you to choose pictures off your computer's "photo's" folder that you want to put there

Cat Ma likes this.
  10. pevsfreedom

I need to do that so I stop spamming all my condo's with pictures.

11. pevsfreedom

China is one poofy chick! Looks so soft.

12. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

But we do enjoy the condo pics!

13. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

This sounds easier :) I will try that.

CJ looked like China in the "before" photo. The "after" photo is proof of how important insulin and a low carb diet are to restoring a kitty's health. China is very beautiful!

14. Chris & China (GA)

@Cat Ma ....I totally agree....when I see people who are discouraged about how sickly their kitties look, I post my Before and After pictures to show just how far they can come with just a little time and support!

A picture is truly worth 1000 words sometimes!!

Brashworks and Cat Ma like this.
  15. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@pevsfreedom you can always create a Luna photo thread in the Community section. You'll get more eyes there. Members need to see Luna standing! Walking on a leash! Her pre-dental pic! And so much more!

granadilla likes this.
  16. pevsfreedom

lol. "The world needs to see!".

Cat Ma and granadilla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.