why is Sophia's BG high at vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sophia, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

Sophia was 80 just a few days ago since she has hyper-t she needed a blood test and she was so wild that they needed to sedate her,

Her bg was 254 and the vet said she was not worried because Sophia was soo upset... but then I was thinking.. she was sedated so very calm and why was the bg that high??

The vet said that she is not worried about her bg as long as I test her at home from time to time.... GREAT VET...agrees with testing at home.

Sophia was diagnosed with diabetes in July 2005 and was diet controlled in Oct 2005... and now I worry that she is coming back from the honeymoon.

What is your opinion.. should her bg have been this high after she was sedated>> Does hyper-t have an influence on bg? Thank you.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I dont know Liz but if she still tests lower at home, I would have to think it was vet stress even if she was sedated. Did they test her before the sedation? Sending some prayers this is just a bump in the road and that all is well with your little Sophia.

Jeanne

3. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeanne. No she was only tested after sedation. She is wasting away to nothing... and does not eat well even though she acts well. Maybe it is old age too.. she will be 15 April 6th.

4. velma & pooka

velma & pooka Member

My guess, you said she was so wild they had to sedate her...that's stress and emotion and those will raise her blood sugar, so even tho she was sedated, her bg's were up.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

And yes, I believe hyper T can influence the BG's. What are treatment are you using for hyper t?

How is her appetite? Is she eating and constantly looking for more food?

6. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

We put gel in her ear once a day but since her hyper=t has not changed the vet said twice a day and we have to wait and see. She runs to her bowl all the time for food but then eats very very little. I feed her throughout the day.

On Monday the vet is going to call re the 'nuclear' treatment' give us a referall but dh said /it is his cat/ that he does nto want to pay so much.... just make her comfortable so she does not hurt when she 'goes'. I have sine money saved in my allowance which I don't mind spending on Sophia... I don't need more clothes ect.. and can do without .. I much rather have that little funny crazy girl around...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.