Why skittles #'s are high

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

For a few days now I have been posting about skittles having higher then normal BG levels. And now I know why..... he is at the hospital right now getting treatment for a UTI! If all goes well, I will be going back to pick him up at 5:00 PM EST.

back story~~ for the last 2 weeks skittle's BG have been higher then normal. Up until then he would go anywhere between 24-72 hours without needing insulin. Last night I told my daughter to remind me to catch a sample so I could take it in just to check and make sure everything was okay because I had a nagging gut feeling to get his urine check. and this morning woke up to blood everywhere! Now the BG numbers make sense. And I noticed he was licking his penis a lot and picking on his brother again. he was giving my signs that he had a UTI but I didn't notice it fast enough :(

I also discovered that I have 2 SS, and the one I have been using is NOT the one in signature so I have to try and get that fixed.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm sorry. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. We have compiled a list of organizations that may offer financial relief: Financial Help Links.

The organizations are independent of and do not have any affiliation with the FDMB, but may offer some relief or help to qualified candidates. Some of these links are to commercial enterprises, some to non-profit organizations. Their listing here is a courtesy. Please check with the individual organization. Each organization has their own set of rules, requirements, and policies. Most organizations rely on donations to fund their financial aid programs. Be aware if funds are not available organizations may temporarily close financial aid programs.

Hope you're able to find something soon.
    Good luck!

3. sherrib

Thank you :)

He has FIC ( AKA Idiopathis Cystitis , AKA Pandora Syndrome ) which is basically a Stress induce UTI.
    Probably stressed from our move & going back and forth in the car. I was gonna load them all up and go back to pack more today but that’s not gonna happen now. I have no idea when I can go back now. Sucks because I still have to pay rent, elec, water , WiFi ( my cell only runs off WiFi ) and I’m not even living there now!
    He is home now , at first the doctor said she would like to keep him overnight but he seemed to improve so well that she sent him home. Skittles and his brother are so bonded that I would’ve had to take his brother there to. They are never apart & when they are they cry for each other. I have tons of meds for him and have to give sub Q fluids.
    Last time this happened was when we have to evacuate for a huge hurricane TWICE .... we evacuated to a area then the hurricane shifted and 7 hrs after we got to the 1st place we had to pack up again and move to another place. So he was in my SUV for basically 2 days traveling. The stress was to much. Just the stress from the air pressure from hurricanes is enough to cause some cats to get FUS. I can tell a huge difference in my animals behavior whenever we have any type of trocipal storms . We live at the beach.
    Sorry for rambling y’all
    Sherri & Skittles

4. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

I totally feel for you. I just recently had the same thing happen to my boy. He's been in remission since March of this year and mid-November I noticed his BGs were higher than his normal 70 - 90 reading. I couldn't figure out why. Finally, I caught him trying to cover up pee on my bedroom baseboard and there it was blood. He went to the vet, received a covenia and azimycin injection which caused him to lose remission and now we're trending downward again with his BGs but not quite back to his normal numbers. :(

5. sherrib

Same thing on skittles #’s. It was time for his AM does but he is at 125 so I'm gonna wait a little while. This throws off my time schedule though .
    I should have known and caught his earlier, now that I look back over the last 2 weeks I see 4 signs. One of the 4 was his stomach/bladder area swelling. I give his insulin along his side/stomach area. Now that the meds have kicked in, the swollen area is gone. I feel so bad, my gut was screaming for me to catch a sample and take it in. :(

6. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Honestly, it is so tough. They are good at hiding their pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.