Why the odd behaviour?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie and Alice, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie and Alice

Julie and Alice Member

Hi,
    I'm wondering why Alice might displaying odd behaviour, that is, odd for her. She started to find different places to rest. Normally she would sleep or sit on the windowsill or her bed & occaisionally change to a seat. She enjoyed wandering around her small garden or lying in the sun which she still does if warm enough & at one point was becoming more adventurous. Recently she is finding a multitudinous amount of different places for short times only and then changes every couple of days or so. At first it seems amusing to find her on top of a cupboard squashed behind a calender, in the jigsaw puzzle box, on the table, on the floor etc. Now she has stopped going upstairs which she liked to do, or in the living room, which was her favourite room, except to sit on my knee which she still loves. She now lies in the kitchen on the doormat or similar.
    She is now scratching around her jaw & shaking her head as though something is in her ear. I cant see anything. I've looked in her fur for fleas etc. Is it boredom or anything anyone has experience of? She gets so stressed by a visit to the vets and so that is a last resort but I'm wondering if its necessary.
    Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

I have four cats and for a while they all had their special places. All of a sudden, they started switching and sleeping in another cat's area. After a few days, I started seeing them in new places. It is funny because I just noticed this all about a couple of weeks ago. Go figure.

Regarding the ear, is Alice walking ok? Just checking for equilibrium or something like that. How is her dental? Sometimes a bad tooth effects the jaw or ears.

3. Julie and Alice

Julie and Alice Member

Many thanks!! Yes, I think she may have toothache, that kind of fits with scratching jaw & I know her teeth aren't good. I had noticed she put her paw to her mouth the other day as though a problem with food. Stupid me, I should have suspected. She has also stopped reacting to cat nip which she usually loves. She had hot unstable in her legs too.
    I have to go away for a few days unfortunately day after tomorrow but will try & get into vet tomorrow to get ball rolling. I dread the vets looking after her diabetes though.
    Many thanks for your helpful reply.
    Juliex

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

I just noticed that we joined the FDMB right about the same time!

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

My cat is laying in different places as well--from what I understand a diabetic cat (even when being regulated on tight protocol ) will get hot-mine seems to be laying on cool surfaces but he also lays in the clothes basket on blankets --I am very confused as he used to be by my side at all times. His BG is coming down nicely but the behavior is still odd. I hope he gets back to his usual self….I miss my buddy with me all the time.

6. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

A cat behaviorist friend has told us that when a cat starts doing something out of the norm, something is up. I'd consider a vet visit, especially with the head shaking & scratching at the jaw.

SpecklesandMe and Squalliesmom like this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I agree, I would schedule a check up, just to be sure nothing is amiss!

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  8. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

The head shaking might indicate he has ear mites. They're usually too small for us to see. But the jaw scratching could be dental so yes, best to get him looked at. You can use Revolution for mites (don't know if it's available in the UK but I know you can get it in Australia so hopefully) but in the US you need a vet prescription.

SpecklesandMe and Squalliesmom like this.
  9. Julie and Alice

Julie and Alice Member

Thank you all!
    I found a flea on my knee yesterday (& have had bites recently but thought it was from outside or human flea!!)
    I sat looking through her fur & found 3 live fleas but couldn't catch them.
    Mystery solved!! I am concerned now as to how flea treatment will affect her as she has an odd immune system in that she can't have immunisations as they make her ill.
    I do have an appt for vet next week but rang this morning & we have some 'Stronghold Flea Drops' to collect. I am going away this morning so my husband will be in charge.
    Any advice please?!
    Thanks again
    Julie & Alice xx

10. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Hopefully the flea meds will solve the problem! I don't know anything about that brand so no advice on how it will affect her unfortunately. Good luck!

11. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am a pet groomer and in my experience "capstar" is a good alternative to topical long lasting toxins….it is a tiny pill and kills what is on them but has no residual effect. It is in and out of the system in 12 hours I believe (possibly 24) I know people who have used it daily rather than a topical and have heard of no negative reaction…worth looking into ;)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My local shelter does a combination of Capstar to knock out the adult fleas, and a topical with a larvacide to reduce/eliminate new fleas.

13. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have used Capstar and a topical, as well. Capstar does a great job of getting rid of fleas the cat is already carrying, but won't prevent eggs hatching, or further infestation, by itself.

Olive & Paula likes this.
  14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

The ear could be dirty and need cleaning. Smokey always has gunk in his right ear. One of my civvies always has gunk in left ear. I clean them regularly but it just never stops accumulating. They don't have mites. I always seem to get cats with ear gunk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.