Why Webster keeps dropping like a rock after Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Websterthecat, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Hi everyone. Many of you have likely seen my postings on the Lantus Tight regulation board. If not, here are the most recent postings:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=128535
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=128570
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=128610
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=128645
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=128692

Webster was recently diagnosed with diabetes early last week and spend 4 days in the hospital with DKA.

I was instructed to make sure that he eats and give him Lantus 1u 2x daily. The first time that I took his BG after coming home from the vet and it was at 45! We immediately reduced his dose to .75u.

Since then I have watched him drop like a rock (up to 128 points in one hour) at least two more times. For instance, today he went from 450 pre shot to 55 in 3.75 hours. :shock:

From what I am gathering here, it has something to do with the result of a bounce. I'm still not understanding the relationship and why he drops so fast shortly after his dose.

Could the fast drop be related to the sugary AB that I am giving him immediately after each dose of Lantus? BTW, I'm checking his BG and then giving the Lantus and AB afterward.

Maybe he's not eating enough? I'm having a very hard time understanding why this keeps on happening. Any ideas? Could someone please explain?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Actually, between the antibiotics and the food changes ... he may be trying to go off the insulin. His pancreas could be starting to produce insulin again, and any infection is clearing, hence the dropping like a rock.

He also earned a decrease by going below 50 mg/dL again (per Tight Regulation protocol), so drop down to 0.5 units if he gets over 150 mg/dL on a human glucometer.

3. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Very interesting. You have me wondering now.. Is it possible the he is not a diabetic but all of this was somehow caused by an infection? How would the two be connected?

I don't recall the vet pinpointing a particular infection but she prescribed the AB as well as a small amount of pain medicine "just in case". I do remember him grunting very subtly when initially taking him into the vet and she mentioned she notice he "may be in a little pain".

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Pain may elevate BG, too.

With so many variables in the mix, I'd recommend close monitoring of BG.

Sending scritches for your handsome boy (who seems to be becoming FDMB's kitty equivalent of George Clooney! :D )

cat_pet_icon

5. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you so much!!

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Infection tends to raise glucose in cats (and humans). Add in higher carb food and you've built the perfect storm. I would consider him susceptible, and an infection plus higher carb food pushed him over into hyperglycemia. Even if he goes off insulin, he will always be at risk, so you'll want to test then, at least once aweek and have a reminder note somewhere to monitor water drinking, urine output, hunger, and weight - all of which tend to be increased with hyperglycemia until it has been long enough and/or high enough to trigger DKA.

7. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for the explanation. I can only hope that it's being caused by an infection that is clearing.

8. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

Human diabetics (Type 1) have told me that whenever they are sick, their BG goes up and down in unpredictable ways. Once he's done with the antibiotics, his numbers will probably make a lot more sense.

Fingers crossed for remission!!!

9. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

One more does of AB tonight. It seems to be a sweet syrup so I'm sure that's having an effect. He dropped again this morning, likely caused by not eating before insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.