Why your vet is not necessarily "bad"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KPassa, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I have a friend (Type 1 diabetic) who is writing an article about pets with diabetes for an online (human) diabetes website who asked me for some insight. One of the questions he posed to me was regarding vets and how often they suggest or comply with owners to PTS diabetic animals. I wanted to share what I wrote back to him because I think we all first start out either mistakenly blindly following our vets until proven wrong (by something like a hypo or DKA) or thinking they're incompetent and/or out to kill our pets. In reality, it's usually because they're simply lacking knowledge and not maliciously ignorant.

In case any of you are interested, here's an excerpt from the 12% carbs study mentioned above (emphasis mine) and the reason why ALL cats should not be feed dry or higher carb food even if they're in remission or don't have diabetes in the first place:

**ETA: Realized I'd left an entire paragraph out of my copy/paste job. :oops:

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Re: Why your vet is not necessary "bad"

I think you did a great job!

I don't necessarily agree that 1 & 3 should make you immediately "fire" your vet, though. My vet was out of date, but accepted my information from this site with an open mind. She called Ohio State and fellow vets for info on Lantus and Lev before deciding on Lev. When I asked about testing, she gave me her MIL's tester to try. When she suggested some things during treatment that I questioned, I would say "I'm not comfortable with that" and she would work with me on it. Open minded and willing to learn!

So I think trying to keep a vet with whom are are otherwise happy with is something to strive for. It may not be possible, but it's worth investigating. Once a vet gets that arrogant "I know everything and you don't" stance, then it time to dump them!

3. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Thank you. :D

ITA! (And I tried to express that, but obviously not very clearly :lol: ). What I was trying to say is that 1-3 are not cause to fire a vet, but when combined with 4 and/or 5, that's when you should start looking. ;-)

And thanks for pointing that out because I just realized I botched my copy/paste job and left off the last paragraph. I never like ending things on a negative note and basically gave a nice little cheer for the vets willing to work with you and willing to learn more.
    :RAHCAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.