Will a ear hematoma affect glucose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rbrumbaugh82, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

It seems like one problem after another with Pooper's. If it isn't getting teeth pulled and having his mouth cleaned then its suddenly developing an ear hematoma due to probably shaking his head when I am poking it. The vet tech at the office said that a ear hematoma won't affect glucose numbers but I would feel like it would. I don't know if they cause any pain or discomfort but I would think it would be a discomfort to them to the point that they know its there so that would cause stress and therefore affect his numbers. So I have to take him in today so they can drain it and do whatever because they drained when he has his mouth done but it has come back again and this time bigger. FYI, the Lantus isn't doing much yet. It has dropped his numbers into the mid 200s but that is about it. I have taken away all dry food too but I know they are upset with that and so if I get dry food again it will probably be YA since most say its the best dry food to feed if you must feed dry food.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It takes 3-5 days for the full effect of Lantus to be seen since Lantus is a depot insulin that builds up in the body.
    A hematoma should hove only a small effect due to the discomfort caused by it.

3. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Yea well nothing is working as you can tell by the SS. Just like with the Bovine insulin. I guess I am just doomed period with nothing working and no way I can get him regulated and yet I try to make him better but nothing wants to work. This hematoma sucks because he has to wear a fricken cone over his head and I know that stresses him out and myself so I can't see his numbers being good. URRRRRRR

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT: Only change the Lantus dose after 3-5 full days.
    It works much differently from PZI; you must keep the dose the same regardless of pre-shot tests.
    Go to the Lantus forum and read over the sticky posts on using it and the 2 protocols you can follow.

5. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Yea well I am sticking with 3 units. It seems to get it to drop a bit more than what 2 did. Until I see better results then I can probably decrease it but right now that would be a miracle.

6. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Please do read the lantus/levemir stickies, pick a protocol and stick to it. I would recommend that you start posting in that forum regularly and take the expert advice, based on years and years of experience, that is on offer in regard to dosing, and be aware that patience is required to get the results you want. The way you are dosing the Lantus has been completely inappropriate and I am concerned that if you continue the way you have been a) you will not be able to achieve regulation or remission and b) you are putting Poopers in danger - which I know is completely unintentional, it is clear that you love him very much. So please for both your sakes take my advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.