Will Clavamox raise blood sugar

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Doogle, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

Doogle got into a huge fight the other night with one of the other cats. Well in the process he ripped off the sheath on his claw and broke one of his dew claws. We cleaned it good and of course Doogle is cleaning it. We are using a corn litter now so dont see having any problems with that. Took him to the vet and he said it will grow back and it will take time. Gave us some pain meds and Clavamox to prevent infection. Now I dont remember if I have ever had to use Clavamox on Doogle. Will it raise his blood sugar? Also besides cleaning with water, what it something else I can use to clean the toes. He is freaked out and I dont want him to struggle anymore than he has to and cause any more damage or pain.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Depends on if it is a tablet or a liquid. Many of the liquid formulations are for human babies and are sweetened with sugar. Ask the vet or look at the packaging. If a tablet, it is unlikely.
    Also, a tablet may be cut up, put in a oral syringe, water added to dissolve (shake well), and given that way, which by-passes the issue of sweetened liquids.

3. Donna & Doogle

It is the liquid and didnt see anything in the ingredients about having sugar. I know the pink formula does but this is a white liquid. I didnt get to go to the vet and I usually ask these questions, the DH went and didnt ask.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My vet leaves the package insert in the box and both list all ingredients, active and inert.

5. Donna & Doogle

I think its in there.....I will take a look after I get home from work. The DH is going to call the vet and double check. All my research has said no and his numbers are probably up due to the stress of the pain (which he has pain meds for) and just overall stressed from the fight. I keep an eye on my post.

Thank you BJ :D

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Clavamox is only used for animals and is not a child drug like the pink Amoxi Drops

7. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Clavamox should not affect the blood sugars. I've never had it raise the BGs on any of my diabetics, pill or liquid and I've mostly used the liquid. It might smell like it is sweetened (smells like bananas), but it is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.