Will high sugar make a diabetic cat collapse?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sheryl and Peaches, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheryl and Peaches

Sheryl and Peaches Member

While feeding my son this morning I found Peaches squating in my kitchen...I yelled at him and pointed to the cat litter where he went...a minute later I heard a noise and he was on the hard wood floor at bottom of the steps laying on his side crying and he had pooped...I picked him up and he was still crying...I checked his blood sugar and it was 490- am guessing he got into the other cats dry food. Once I test him he seemed to almost shake it off and now he seems better. Could this be from high blood sugar or is something else probably going on? I have called my vet but they do not open until 9:30...
    Sheryl

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i personally have not heard of that but that doesn't mean it can't happen i suppose.

how old is Peaches? Could he have been straining too hard to poop and cause himself to have a bit of a heart problem? I've heard several times about cats straining too hard to poop and making themselves collapse like you describe or even make themselves vomit from it

3. Sheryl and Peaches

He is about 17. The poop was pretty soft so not sure why he would be straining but anything is possible...

4. LynnLee + Mousie

i'd be concerned about heart myself and would definitely want to talk to the vet.

he seems fine now? eyes look good and everything?

5. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Gosh, I can't say anything but that I would try to get him in to a vet asap. Even if he seems better now, I'd really want a check. That's just really odd. I don't think it has to do with the blood sugar, myself.

6. Sheryl and Peaches

I just gave him his shot and he is eating now...his back legs still seem wobbly but he isn't crying anymore. I do plan to call vet right at 930.

7. LynnLee + Mousie

did you check those legs to make sure none are cold or blueish?

eta: you're east coast right? so only about 1/2 hour before vet opens?

8. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Sheryl, I would definitely get him to the vet. I would be concerned as well. The only time I have seen anything similar was when Bo (civvie) was nearly blocked with struvite crystals. I did not see him poop but I found him on the floor, on his side, with a lot of poop by him. That is probably not the problem with Peaches but as I was told, a cat pooping while lying down is extremely odd and needs attention immediately.

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'd also ask the vet for an electrolite blood test, potassium issues like Tucker has can cause weakness. Henry(GA) used to practically fall over from straining to poop, could be even though some came out there's a hard poop stuck in there. Senior kitties can be prone to constipation. Keep us posted.

10. Sheryl and Peaches

His walking seems better...I have him baby gated in living room with Michael and I watching him...he seems just fine now and is sitting in the sun...WTH!

I also have a cat who is crying in the kitty litter box like he can't pee but is eating, playing, and acting normal...when it rains it pours I guess...

11. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

oh sheryl. just got up, (yea I know) and good thought and white light your way. seriously hope it is nothig. keep us updated please. ((((sheryl))))

12. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

(((Sheryl))) maybe get them both in?

I know this is a stupid question so please forgive me for asking but they aren't getting any dry food are they? When Bo had the emergency I hadn't had them inside that long and he was still getting some dry food. He isn't anymore because of that.

13. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Gosh Sheryl, I'm so sorry this is all going on!

14. Sheryl and Peaches

Susie- I have 6 cats in my house right now and 5 of them do get dry food...I know it is bad, but I just can't afford canned food for them all with daycare and everything. Peaches gets only canned, but does steal the dry when he can which isn't very often...

15. Sheryl and Peaches

UPDATE

I spoke with my vet...they want to wait an hour and see how he is doing then...if he is no better then I call them back...they also want me to check his blood sugar every 2-3 hours to see what is going on with it. I am the first to admit since Michael was born 11 months ago, Peaches diabetes is secondary now...I still test him and shoot him and watch his numbers and give him fluids, but I am not as anal as I used to be...as long as he is happy and acting good that is what I care about and he has been fine...

Honestly, in an hour I will call them no matter what and tell them he is no better even if he is...I want him seen to see what is going on with him...my other kitty they said to bring in anytime and they will tap his urine to check for an infection so I have to go in anyway...just sucks because it is right in the middle of Michael's nap and anyone with babies know you don't mess with a nap schedule. :sad:

16. dian and wheezer

specially michaels since he is sooooooooo much like his dad :lol:

17. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

18. Sheryl and Peaches

Oh you are a funny one Dian- that comment coming from the person who just woke up at 10! Michael and I have been up since around 7. dancing_cat

Hope- I read a bit on that...not sure if that was him because his muscles weren't tense...in fact he was limp when I picked him up...it is a mystery. the vet thinks it could be a seizure or something with his stomach since with a bg of 490 he must have gotten into the dry food or something...I did put out watered down skim milk last night which I never do to encourage the one who was having issues peeing to drink...bad idea I see now but at night when I am tired my mind does not think right! :oops:

Peaches is now perched on a dresser laying in the sun like normal...

19. dian and wheezer

I agree with hope and muscles do not have to be tense after the fact. it is the straining that causes it. happens in humans also. the straining puts pressure on the vagus nerve and poof, you are down and out or an heart arrythimia bradycardia usually slows the heart rate way down
    AND>>>>>>>>> I was up at 4 AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.