Will someone please check msmurphy's syringe use PLEASE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

She's using Lantus and u100 syringes and vet orders 1 unit and tells her to count back 5-4-3-2-and give the 1st line. is'nt this .4u's....Please post your response on her original thread.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Lori, Lantus is a U100 insulin, so in a U100 syringe, filling to the 1U line IS 1U.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OMG i never knew lantus was measured out that way!!!! I must speak to heidi and doodles right away...how could i not have known this...is all lantus u100? my pzi is u40 and i just assumed...holy ****

4. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Venita-

Doesn't it matter if it's a .5cc or .3cc syringe? On my .3cc syringes the first line is .5u. On my .5cc syringes, the first line is 1u.

s

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm using a 30 gauge 3/10 cc syringe for pzi and thought it seemed like alot when i measured out 2 and 1/2 units to equal 1 unit. after all these years i am now confused.

6. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Lori-

Are you using u100 syringes for a u40 insulin? I believe that would be the difference, but someone with more experience in converting the measurements would need to chime in. A u100 insulin in a u100 syringe would be straight measurements...1u is measured to the 1u mark.

s

7. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

nope. whether it is .5cc or .3cc doesn't matter.

actually you are speaking of two different things here. the first line on all syringes would actually be 0. then the next line would depend on if you have syringes with 1/2 unit markings or not. if you do, then the second line would be slightly off to the left and indeed would be 1/2 a unit. if you do not have syringes with 1/2 unit markings, then the first line is 0 and the next line would be 1.

squeem3 posted some good pictures of 1/2 unit markings and such in this thread towards the bottom viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23475

i doubt there is room on a .5cc syringe for 1/2 unit markings so indeed the first line would be the 0 and the second line would be 1 unit.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

cindy how do you guys in lantus to micro doses....your 1 unit IS a micro dose LOL

9. LynnLee + Mousie

exactly :)

if you are using IDEXX pzi, it is a u40 insulin and you are most likely using u100 syringes, thus the conversion and you draw up 2.5 lines to get 1 real unit of that insulin.

as was mentioned, lantus is a u100 insulin so 1u of it in a u100 syringe goes up to the 1 unit line.

now mind you lori, if someone is using BCP's pzi, when advising them on which line to draw to, will depend on if they have the u40 strength or the u100 strength since it comes in both.

Prozinc is u40 i believe so it would be done the same as your IDEXX pzi

10. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Haha...I stand corrected, Cindy. Yes, the first line is always 0! ;-)

s

11. LynnLee + Mousie

squint, cross your eyes, hold the vial and syringe up to a light and hope your hand doesn't have a twitch as you are pulling back on the plunger :D

if it does, your curse a little at the insulin you just wasted and push a little out over the sink, hoping again that you don't have some middle age twitch and push too far.

if you do, you curse at the top of your lungs now at the waste of insulin and syringe and get another one and try again. :D

if one of the cats bumps your arm on the second attempt, you just give up and have a drink and tell them to do it themselves :D

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ROFL
    Cindy must talk to you...no more than 3 minutes. call me?

13. LynnLee + Mousie

sorry lori, got a phone call. can i call you later? oldest nephew is in the hospital.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yikes! of course....hope nothing too seriouse...call whenever.

15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Here is a comparison of 1 unit and 1/2 unit marked syringes.

Attached Files:

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

is that a u40 or a u100 or would they both look the same...the one without the half lines looks like my u40

17. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

U-40 syringes ONLY come with whole-unit markings...not available with 1/2-unit marks.

With a U-100 insulin, you MUST use U-100 syringes. For one unit, measure to the '1' line.

With U-40 insulin you can use either U-40 syringes or U-100 syringes.
    For one unit, measure to the '1' line on a U-40 syringe or to the 2.5-unit line on a U-100 syringe.

If you hold a U-40 syringe up next to a U-100 syringe, you will see that the U-40 '1-unit' lines up
    next to the U-100 '2.5-unit' line. Approximately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.