Willie from California (:

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by captainduckiex3, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainduckiex3

captainduckiex3 New Member

Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm from Southern California. My 4 year old cat Willie was diagnosed with diabetes in February of this year. He used to be a big boy at 23 pounds until switching to a prescription diet of Royal Canin Diabetic Cat food. In about 3-4 months time he is now 13lbs :) He is at his ideal weight but the food wasnt enough to make him go into remission. My cat was on an all dry food diet, because before he was diagnosed he was not a fan of wet food so I didn't try it. His numbers during glucose readings would always be 400+ so I did some research and read that Wet food was better for a diabetic cat. I bought him the Fancy Feast Classic, altho he seems to be more hungrier he doesnt pee as much as before and he drinks less water. So that right there was a sign to me that wet food was a very necessary transition. Right now Im feeding my cat 3 cans a day. 1 whole can at AMPS and 1/4 of a can throughout the day before his PMPS. and 1 whole can before his PM shot. I notice at mornings his BG is about 300 and his BG at night is about 250-300. Still haven't gotten him regulated. He sometimes sneaks human food and not anything good. He never had a craving for a human food but now he always wants it but of course I dont give it to him. I am going to try a curve today and just see where hes at. Even tho I have been caring for his diabetes for 7 months I still feel like I am doing something wrong.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Are you using insulin?
    Frequently insulin is required even with a low-carb canned food.
    What kind of FF? Some are lower in carbs than others.
    These are less than 8 % carbs
    viewforum.php?f=28

How long on canned?

3. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Welcome Sarah and Willie! I'm also in SoCal, in OC. Whereabouts are you at?

It's great that you're already testing and have switched him to a lower carb food. What insulin and dose are you guys using? We also usually like to see a mid-cycle test as well to help us know how low the insulin dose is taking him, so if you have any of those numbers that would be nice to see as well.

4. captainduckiex3

I use the Prozinc 10ml (dont know if that means anything). Originally the vet said 4 units when his level was 500, but I recently got a Glucose Meter, maybe about a couple months ago and he doesnt usually get those kind of readings unless he snuck food from the kitchen (bad boy) Im not sure what a midcycle test is. I barely started using the spreadsheet today, so u can see what I've tested so far :)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

5. captainduckiex3

I give my cat insulin everyday 2x a day at 12 hr intervals.
    Feeding at 7:30am/7:30pm, Insulin shot at 8am/8pm
    depending on what the glucose level is.
    I give him the Fancy Feast Classic Chicken flavored and or Turkey & Giblets.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The ProZinc vial contains 10 mL of U-40 ProZinc. U-40 means there are 40 units of insulin in 1 mL. Thus, there are 400 units in a 10 mL vial.

Good job getting the spreadsheet up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.