Willie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan B, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan B

Susan B New Member

Hi everyone. My name is Susan and I own a cat that is 11 years old and just diagnosed with diabetes. A little history on Willie:

Too much anesthesia at neuter, so he is like a cerebral palsy patient. He cannot jump up and I fear he will fall if he does. He does not land on his feet if he does fall. He has had many mishaps during his years, but he is a wonderful little guy. He had high doses of steroids after his anesthesia event to help his brain.

He has consistently had an issue with throwing up after meals, so I switch it up quite often. He gets a lot of cooked meats (loves raw) and dry kibble. I have always fed him higher quality dry to get the most vitamins and minerals out of the amount that he eats. No corn or fillers if I can help it.

To the vet he went today to find out his glucose level was 490. They confirmed with a urine test. Bun elevated but creatinine is okay. No urinary infection.

He was given his first dose of Prozinc 2 units at the vets office but they had to force feed him prior.

Brought him home and he still does not want to eat. He has not eaten since 5/2. Needless to say, I am a bit worried about the 2 units of insulin and another in the morning if he won't eat. His weight is only 8.02 lbs. today. Yes, he is a small cat because of the initial event, but he is a bit thin right now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit worried. I will be reading quite a bit tonight about this and hope to be able to understand it better. I am also thinking that home testing for him is going to be essential for him.

Thanks

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Willie. What a tough story for this little guy, but what a fighter. And big hugs for taking it on and not giving up on him. That makes my heart smile. I am too new to give you dosing advise. But will say home testing will be your best friend and will keep you sane so you can know his bg before shooting the insulin. You wouldn't give insulin to your child with diabetes, why would your furbaby. :) I didn't come up with that saying. I have been giving people recipe links instead of help links. :banghead: So will just say, welcome to the best place on FD. Others will come along with great advise and more experience. Good luck with Willie. I know setting up a signature with the essential info helps everyone not asking the same questions. :) take deep breaths and head bumps from my sugar baby

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Phoebes (GA)

Ps. It will help to put a ? In front of Willies name on the thread edit. Something more like new have questions..more people will look. And if you post on the main forum, you will get more advise. You can copy and paste what you have over there. :)

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This a serious issue that needs to be addressed right away. You'll have to syringe feed him if he won't eat on his own. You can try plain meat and broth baby food (no onion or seasonings) for that. You can also try giving him anything tempting - sardines, tuna, salmon, etc. If that doesn't work he MUST be seen by your vet ASAP. He's at risk of developing hepatic lipidosis and/or diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), both of which are very serious. He might need antinausea meds and an appetite stimulant.

You're right: you can't give insulin if he doesn't eat. No insulin + no food is a recipe for DKA. This can't wait.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Susan and Willie :bighug:
    Sorry to hear all your little guy has been through but he sounds like a fighter. Home testing will be the best tool once he is feeling better but I'm with Kris, you need to get some food in him, otherwise get him to the Vet. Especially, with the weekend approaching. Sending healing vines! Please let us know what you decide to do :bighug:

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Did the vet check for ketones? His not eating is very serious. The elevated bun Could be dehydration. If go back to the vet asap.

7. Susan B

Susan B New Member

They did Electrolytes for him today and yes, he is drinking lots of water.
    Not sure about the Ketones, but I will call them in the morning and check. I am going to try
    to force feed a bit tonight and see if he will chew and swallow. I am offering all of his favorites
    right now, and he has no urge. If he still will not eat by morning, I will take him back to the vet.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you everyone. I am saying my prayers for food intake

8. JanetNJ

Offer anything.... Tuna, cold cuts, ect. If you have FortiFlora that might entice too. Good luck

9. Susan B

Susan B New Member

Just got about 1 T of food down him by holding him with a towel. He tries to spit it out but I kept going.

10. Susan B

Susan B New Member

Back to the vet today and did a syringe feeding of Hills prescription Urgent Care and then he started eating! Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues.

11. JanetNJ

Such good news!!!

12. Phoebes (GA)

After 5 days that's all it took for Phoebe as well. Once she started..Holy moly. Hope your furbaby is on the way to better days.:bighug:

13. Susan B

Susan B New Member

He is doing great! Eating like a champ, bright eyed and has energy. I haven't started checking sugars myself yet, but I am reading about it. Going to have him checked at the vet in 2 days to see where he is at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.