Wilson back in the blue and green. 5.6+6, 5.1+7, 5.3+8.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tanya & Wilson, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanya & Wilson

Tanya & Wilson Member

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Looks like Wilson came down nicely from the high number last night. If you haven't already fed Wilson, you could withhold the food and test again in 20 minutes to see where the numbers are going. If you have already fed my suggestion would be to give the 1.5 unit and test again at +2. If the number is the same or lower give him a bit of regular food and test again in 1 hour after that. This is a good opportunity to see how well/safely the 1.5 unit dose works. Lantus often dose not give large drops, but tends to keep the numbers flatter, although you don't know for sure this is how Wilson will react.

3. Tanya & Wilson

Tanya & Wilson Member

Wilson has eaten and to be safe I gave him 1u. I will test during the day to see his reaction to the low dose. If he goes a bit high I will go back to 1.5u. Sorry I didn't get the +3 last night. I was too tierd and had to get some sleep. Will be up for +3 tonight though.

4. Tuxedo Mom

When you are ever unsure if the preshot is a rising or falling number just withhold food and retest about 20 minutes later to see which way the numbers are going, You probably could have given the 1.5 unit, but I understand how nervous the last few days has made you. With Lantus it is best to find a dose and stick with it for at least 3 days. It takes this long to have the'depot' adjusted. But in the meantime, you have given 1.0 unit so some extra testing through the cycle will show what this dose can do for Wilson. I'll check back a little later and see how he is doing. :)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

I see you got a +3 test and Wilson is just surfing along.... looking good so far. If you are around try to get a +6 test...that should be at or close to the time he has his nadir, so you can see where he goes with this dose.

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Look at Wilson! Two no shots and he's in yellows. It will be interesting to see what 1 unit does. If you have to go back up, it not a big deal. It's ideal to find a dose that you can give every 12 hours . He will get there! :cat:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agee with Mary Anne, Wilson was plenty high, you could have given him the full 1.5 unit dose. Remember that we figure out how to dose the cat by the lowest number in the cycle, or the nadir, not the preshot. Here we say, even for newbies, it's fine to shoot if they are over 200 (11.1). Wilson was well above that. He had a higher number last night because of the previous skipped shot and he was bouncing from going lower than he was used to. That 4.8 was a safe number, just lower than he's used to.

The fact that Wilson was coming down just meant he was starting to react from starting insulin insulin again last night, and getting over the worst of the bounce. It's fine to shoot a preshot number that's lower than the previous one. With SLGS, in the beginning, you would be cautious if the preshot is under 200.

I would go back to the 1.5 units tonight. Our osing methods use consistent dosing, with changes made based on the nadirs.

8. Tanya & Wilson

Tanya & Wilson Member

Wilson showing a great number 5.6@+6 after 1u this morning. Really happy so far. Will test again @+9.
    ETA. Still waiting for nadir. 5.1+7.
    ETA. reached nadir @ +7 as he was 5.3+8. He's asking for food so given him a can of FF. Will test again in a couple of hour to see what the food does.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  9. Tuxedo Mom

Good job with all the tests through the cycle. It is good to have an idea when the nadir is and to see how Wilson ran through the whole cycle. Her certainly bounced up quickly at the end of the cycle...probably because his body is not 'used' to be in normal numbers. If you can get a couple of tests in during the evening cycle it will add more useful data to the mix,

ETA One thing many Lantus users do is try not to feed or not much after nadir time. You could give food at +5 or +6 when the insulin is still at its effective point, rather than later in the cycle. This may help to keep the numbers from bouncing up so much at the end of the cycle,

10. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

@Tanya & Wilson it's better to add a response to your thread when you have a new test, like that it bumps your thread up and those following it get a notification. If you just edit your last response we don't see anything and will miss the news.

Those numbers look good, that said! What you're seeing after that is a bounce, he'll come back down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.