Wink got a dental. How about Bupe for pain?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Deb & Wink, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Wink went in this morning to have his dental and had several teeth pulled. Looks like 6 teeth if I reading the notes correctly. They never want to put him under anesthesia again, cause I guess his heart murmur, only a level 1, really kicked up under the anesthesia and he got some abnormal blips on the EKG during the surgery.

Then, they tried to send me home with not 1, but 2 doses of oral Metacam! :eek: :shock: :eek: I refused, absolutely refused, to even take it home with me. The front desk staff blew me off when I said it had a black box warning on it, that cats should never be given more than a single dose. To top it off, they gave me the oral solution which is for dogs and is never to be given to cats. These people make me so mad both the vets, and the shelter staff who want to blindly follow whatever advice the vets give. The shelter staff says "Well, we really can't go against what the vet recommends." Really???? :eek: :shock: :eek:

If I was still doing that, Wink would still be on insulin and eating that awful high carb Hill's W/D food they insisted was good for him (NOT!) and have UTI after UTI and still probably be unregulated. Come on people, what you told me to do was bad for him. What I wanted and did do for Wink got him OTJ and has kept him there for 10 months now.

Here we go again, fighting not only the vets but the shelter on the best care for him. ohmygod_smile Give me a break, please! :evil: :twisted:

Really frustrated here.

His BG's were a bit elevated this evening, 116 and he hasn't been over 100 in 10 months. Hope it was just the stress of being at the vet all day long. At least he was really hungry and gobbled up his wet food just fine. I even gave him and extra serving since he didn't get to eat while at the vet.

He's on Clavamox for 7 days. Hope he doesn't get diarrhea from it. If he does, a tablespoon of plain pumpkin should clear him right up.

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Wink got a dental today. Back home safe

Its a good thing you did the dental, long term it would spike his BG anyway.

Did you get a different pain killer?

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about all the drama! Seems like they should figure out that you know what you're doing by now!!

Hope they gave you something else for pain, and glad Wink is home safe with you again!

4. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

How frustrating Deb! Glad it is over and done, and Wink came out fine :D Great that he has a good appy and is home with his bean.
    Give him hugs and scritches from me and Cleo :D

5. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. I figure by the time I finish reading about DM in cats i'll have my MBA, and with all the knowledge people have on this site it's no wonder some of you aren't teaching the Vet's a thing or two. Yes, amazing how what some learnt in school many, many years ago think it still applies while technology and advancements in medicine and wellness have really taken off and proven that 'the old' way is not always the right way. Glad he's back home and getting the attention he needs!!

6. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Wink is just happy to be back home with his momma bean

I was surprised that the vet (not my vet) that spayed my foster mom sent her home with four syringes of Metacam. I didn't realize what it was until the second day. I know that she was in pain but I couldn't give her any more of it after reading about it here.

I hope Wink feels better now that those nasty teefies are gone!

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My vet sent us home with 3 tablets of Oncior, a different NSAID than Metacam. It seemed to work OK for civvie Scottie, who had 6 teeth removed!

8. Deb & Wink

What about using Buprenorphine for post dental extraction pain? Any feedback?

Since I would not take the Metacam prescribed by the vet, Wink has no pain meds right now.

Both the vet and the shelter refused to have any other pain meds prescribed for Wink.

9. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Deb,

When my Arthur had 9 teeth pulled they gave me buprenex to give him, I gave it to him for almost two weeks after, I also had to syringe feed him at first because he would not eat. They also gave me Clavamox to give him as well in case of any infection. So yes I would insist on buprenex and no to the metacam. They should know better.
    I can`t believe since you would not take the metacam they did not give you anything for the poor cat(Wink). I would print out the warning and take it in to the vets office saying that it is not indicated for cats and can cause kidney failure. Someone`s cat on here did go into kidney failure after only one dose, can`t remember who it was. That makes me mad, how would they like to have 6 teeth pulled and have nothing for pain.

Terri

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

yes of course you can use bupe for pain. just be aware that it can make him loopy and spaced out

I thought you officially adopted him - no? will you make it official? then you won't have to put with dumb advice.

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Poor Wink! Shame on the vet! Clearly you know what's best for your cat!!!

12. Deb & Wink

Well, I did finally get some pain medication for Wink today. After refusing to take the metacam home with me, the vets contacted the shelter, who agreed to give me bupe for the pain. It's what I wanted in the first place.

Needless to say, I will now be shopping for a new vet for all my kitties. Already printed out BJM's vet interview topics and started to research vets in the area.

ETA: Oh yeah Hillary, I did adopt Wink today, just so I could get him the best care possible. No more headaches with that cat shelter or those vets to deal with.

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations Wink!! You officially have a bean of your very own!!!

Sounds like your life just got a lot easier Deb

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

About time Deb! Cause seriously, there was NO way you would ever give him up or let him go back to the shelter!

Besides, I bet you Wink knew he was home the moment you found him! It was just you who had to realize it!

YIPPEE! OH JOY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.