Winni & Simba - Need help with home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Winni, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winni

Winni Member

Simba is going to the vet on 5/9 for his first B/G Curve. I'm taking the day off from work because I will be a total mess leaving him at the vet for the first time. Simba diagnosed on 4/25/11. Taking ProZinc 1 unit twice daily.

I'm thinking of doing home testing after his vet visit. My mom is diabetic and had an extra meter. OneTouch Ultra2 - #17 for strips and I got a 30G x 1/2" needle from work; therefore I think this is all I need. I saw a video in how to prick the ear, but I honestly think my Simba will freak out. Someone here said they prick the pads ? but I haven't seen a video for that.

I'm really nervous about pricking his ear. I don't mind doing this to humans, but an animal bothers me.

2. Rupert's people

Rupert's people New Member

With a little bit of practice, you will have no trouble pricking your kitty's ear. Just be patient with yourself. You will get accurate results, and will be better able to monitor Simba's sugar levels. You can do it.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

here's a video heather made of her testing her raja's paw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRK7QY7ZEk

so you can do the ears or the paw pads. either is fine and is more dependent on what your kitty will put up with.

fwiw, have you checked to see if anyone is near you that can give you hands on help the first time or two?

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

If you want to post just a general location (city and state) we can see if we can round someone up local that might be able to pop over and give you a hand for the first couple of tests. But either paw pad or ear is fine. Just if you go for the paw pad you want to use the big non-weight bearing pad and just to be on the safe side I usually clean the spot with a littl alcohol on my one civie that refuses to let me have his ears. Yeah I'm a worry wart and test my civies as well as my diabetic.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

5. crazyride

crazyride New Member

I test on the pads! It seems to go well. Today was my first double poke, and it was my fault because I didn't milk it enough before I put the strip up to it, and there wasn't enough blood. It stops bleeding so quickly that I didn't get enough. I wish he'd let me use his front paws so his back feet could get some rest, but when I tried that this morning he bunny kicked me in the face with his back legs and I got a nice scratch on my cheek :) It's just easier to hold him if I test with his back paws. Good luck! I was afraid to do it, too. But it's been about a week now and I feel a lot better. I just tell myself it WILL go well, and try to keep things mind over matter!

6. Stephanie&Willy

Stephanie&Willy Member

We test on pads!

Some things we have found that help are:
    - Make sure his feet are warm. You can do this by gently warming them with your hands, a warm washcloth, or any of the methods used to warm the ears. If Willy's feet are not warm we're lucky if they bleed at all.
    - Gently wash the area with warm water and then wipe it dry.
    - They will not bleed for long, try to have the meter ready.
    - Use a fresh lance each time. They are sharper, will hurt less, and less risk of infection.
    - Do not be afraid to stick them at what would seem to be deep. They are always on their feet and are actually fairly thick and calloused. We use the pen/device thing that came with our kit and we use it on the deepest setting. We have tried various depths to avoid causing Willy unneeded pain but we have found anything else causes us to have to stick him twice (or 3 times). I would much rather just stick him once and be done with it, this is only possible if he is stuck deep enough the first time (they really do stop bleeding THAT fast). We also press the device into his foot slightly and leave it for half of a second before pulling it back out. It seems like doing it this way gives it a chance to start bleeding.
    - The closer to the center of the pad that we stick, the more it seems to bleed. Also the front part seems to bleed more than the back part. There are a few creases on his pads, those have always given us a lot of blood. Toes do not bleed reliably and the skin on our cat seems much too tough. This may not be the case for you.
    - If we don't get enough blood quickly, we milk it gently in different directions.
    - The best way we have found to draw the blood in is to gentle bring the strip in almost flat against the pad like you're scooping the blood but not really pushing in (rather than perpendicular).
    - Reward! even if the prick is not successful. Many people use treats, you would have to ask about what sorts are ok because we do not. Others use catnip. We give Willy lots of cuddles and pets. Try to make the experience positive or even a great one.

I'm not sure if you own dogs, specifically ones that grow fur between their toes. The way the groomer trims that hair is to bring the foot up towards the back and cradle the paw in their hands. We have found that this is the easiest way to get blood from the front feet when Willy isn't cooperating. We sit on the floor with our legs spread apart but one knee up. We sorta pin his chest against that knee, and use one hand to hold him and his foot up. It takes some getting used to. My DH will also position Willy over his leg, lift up slightly to take away some traction and draw his legs up that way also. I'm really not good at explaining it, but I have actually spoken to someone about writing a mini guide or tips about it and I plan to include some pictures. Its seems so straight forward but when you're new and using new equipment it can be really hard!

Good Luck!!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

I forgot to add: When you start feeling bad about poking your cat, remember that with each poke you're gathering information that can help improve their quality of life. You'll also know exactly what is going on in real time if an emergency arises which could save your kitty's life.

7. Winni

Winni Member

Really, I can post city and State ? - This would be such a relief. I'm really a nervous about my kitty having diabetes. I'm also nervous about the dry DM food I'm giving him, but I will discuss this with the vet when I take Simba in tomorrow for his first B/G curve.

Simba is now getting a whole can of Classic Fancy Feast ( 3ounce can) in the A.M. & P.M. - Before he would only get a tablespoon of wet food, not the Classic Fancy Feast and not even finish the tablespoon. Now he is eating the whole 3 ounce can in the A.M. and P.M. - I only started feeding him the Classic Fancy Feast since he became diabetic and I read on this forum that the Classic Fancy Feast is just as good as the DM wet, plus he did not like the DM wet.

I truly appreciate everyone's help here.
    Love Winni & Simba

8. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, Please post your city and state....we'll put out the call for any members near you.

You can put it in your profile and it will appear to the right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>here:

We do it all the time.

Just don't post your exact address.

If someone is near you, you will communicate then by private message and/or phone.

9. Winni

Winni Member

OK.. I did it. Thank you all.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'll post over in Community and see if anyone lives near you.

11. cjleo

cjleo Member

Winni,

There are a bunch of us in Mass. Sorry that I am way down on the South Shore. But if by the weekend, you still need help testing, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Claudia

12. Winni

Winni Member

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

His levels can be too high if he is not getting enough insulin and too low if he is getting too much. Here is some info on ProZinc: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32799 We have a forum of PZI users; it might be helpful to read through some of the threads and look at the spreadsheets: viewforum.php?f=24

14. cjleo

cjleo Member

Winni,

I'm willing to come to Billerica if it will help you test Simba. Just send me a PM and we'll talk about it.

Thanks,

Claudia

15. MommaOfMuse

Winni,

I would send Claudia that PM and get her to come help you. She is a dynamite lady that can test diabetic cats in her sleep...lol.

Maxwell and I couldn't have done it without her help even if it was over long distant phone calls. =) She is the one that pulled my precious boy, took care of him for a week and then shipped him out here to me. If it wasn't for Venita and Claudia I wouldn't have my super-sized snuggle bug. You couldn't get better help.

Mel, Max and The Fur Gang

16. Winni

Winni Member

OMG. I have to say this site is a miracle with so many great people. I'm so glad that I'm not alone on this.

Claudia - Let me talk with my husband. I need to take Simba back to the vet in Aug between 2-3pm for another B/G Curve, this one will be a quick visit. He went on 5/9 for his first B/G Curve, the poor little guy stayed there all day and me cried all day. The vet up dose the ProZinc from 1unit twice daily to 2 units twice daily and said she would see him in Aug. I told my husband that makes no sense because the poor kitty may still need more units between now and than ? - The vet said she was very happy with his 1st B/G curve levels on 5/9, but wants him to take 2 units twice daily to bring his numbers down.

Does it make sense thou that the vet wants to re-check the B/G curve in 3 months ? ..... My Simba could need more before 3 months ?

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

No, it really doesn't. Read through Callie Mae's post. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42828 She was up to 9 units of PZI, going in for curves at the vet, always getting high numbers (stress related) and feeding dry food. She reduced the dose to one unit, started feeding wet and is now down to .2 units - after a week! She has needed to test frequently to get to this point, but it has kept her kitty safe. This is a disease managed at home, with testing before each shot and curves down at home.

I know it is hard to hear advice that is contrary to what your vet says. Vets are like gps - they are expected to be experts in all diseases for a number of species. We deal with feline diabetics and we have a protocol that works - wet, lo carb food, insulin doses determined by home testing. Hundreds of cats here are in remission or well regulated using our methods. They work!

If you read the info on the PZI forum, viewforum.php?f=24 we encourage small dose increases - by .25 or .5 units, not whole units. It is easy to go over the ideal dose and then your cat is in rebound: Rebound

I know that this is a steep learning curve and does seem overwhelming. But there are lots of people here who would like to help you help Simba.

18. cjleo

cjleo Member

Winni,

I am a diabetic. I would never give a shot without testing. I test all of my diabetics at home. The numbers are much more true (and sometimes as much as 100 points lower) when taken at home. Waiting til August is not acceptable in my humble opinion.

Jumping any insulin from 1u to 2u also worries me. I have not used ProZinc. I've used Lantus, Levemir, Humulin, and PZI over the years. Start low and go slow seems to work.

You will find that I have a preference for Lantus. It is a RDNA based insulin that we have quite a track record of use in cats. ProZinc is also a RDNA based insulin, but it was introduced in early 2010. Supposedly, ProZinc lasts 12 hours, but the spreadsheets I've seen don't seem to support that. Love using something that really has a track record.

Mufasa came to me Mother's Day of 2007, and I put him on Lantus. Also had the arduous task of introducing him to wet food. To say he was not impressed is an understatement. By September he was off insulin (Lantus). He is still off as far as I know. He was adopted by a vet who would go grocery shopping for Mufasa in PetSmart with a copy of Binky's List foods that I sent with him.

Just one of my remission stories over the past 4.5 years.

Hope you will use this tool of home testing.

Claudia

19. MommaOfMuse

Winni,

My Maxwell might as well be another one of Claudia's remission stories, since she is the only one that really gave him any insulin. She pulled him from the vet's office where he had been surrendered to be Put To Sleep, she started him on Lantus and tested him while feeding him canned food. I know without a doubt that my testing him at home, very well could have saved his life, because by the time he got to me a week later, he was very close to remission. If I would have just blindly given him the dose that Claudia started him on, at the very least I would have had a hypo and an emergency vet visit on my hands, if not something way more serious. Simply because Maxwell and I didn't have any past history, I didn't know what was just "off" behavior for him, so I wouldn't have caught the early signs of hypo setting in, but it also made those early days of testing not an easy stroll in the park for the same reason...no past history, no bond yet between us.

Trust me, it is the very safest thing to do to keep Simba safe. And if I can do it with Maxwell and still develop a loving and trusting bond between us, think how easy it will be for you and Simba, you have a long history, he already knows, trusts and loves you! And you have one up on me, you have the wonderful Ms. Claudia willing to come and show you how its done. I had to wing it on my own, lucky for me I have a very understanding and patience civie (non-diabetic) that let me practice on her poor ears...lol.

Home testing is an awesome tool for managing this disease and at home so also one of the cheapest ways of doing it, and has the highest rate of remission. If it helps any, my own vet was asking me today when we had one of my civies (at least we think he is still a civie), if I knew how to test sugar dogs, because he might need my help with another one of his patiences. And when we tested my guy that was at the vet's the vet himself whipped out a human meter. =) But I'm lucky I have a vet that is open minded and willing to learn with me. We have learned alot together following the advice of a bunch of Sugarcat moms and dads that I have never had the pleasure of ever meeting in person, but would trust with any one of my furry children, my home, or vehicle.

We worry over every newbie and their person as if they were our own. We cheer every success, we mourn every loss, and we pray and worry over the serious ill, like it was our own precious furball. And you will be hard press to find as many folks as there are here, that will simply throw on another pot of coffee, grab a 2 liter of cola, and sit up all night if need be to walk someone through a hypo. It just what we do, we don't have office hours, we don't close for a holiday, and we don't go on vacation...well okay some of us do but not the whole board. We eat, breathe and sleep with feline diabetes.

Mel, Max and The Fur Gang

20. Winni

Winni Member

I truly appreciate all the advice, but the more I read everyone's posts the more stressful I get. I'm truly a mess. I feel like I'm killing my cat. I'm nervous that we went from 1u to 2u twice daily. I'm nervous that I'm still feeding him dry DM food. I'm nervous that I'm not doing home testing. Simba is eating more wet food now since he became diabetic "Classic Fancy Feast". Barely touches the dry. I can't feed him wet all the time since I work. Monday-Friday he gets it the A.M. & P.M. and weekends 3 times on Saturday & Sunday.

I'm truly starting to hate my damn vet, but my husband disagrees. He thinks the more I read, the more I will drive myself crazy with this, but I need to learn as much as I can about Feline Diabetes.

I know I will need to do home testing......

Thank you all so much.

21. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Knowledge is power and the more you read the more you will learn and understand FD. Take all the worry away and hometest. Peace of mind comes in one little meter. Many of us have gone on an adopted more diabetic cats because we hometest. I doubt we would've adopted more without our meters and played a blind game of not knowing. Don't understand why you hesitate when it truly is a simple and easy procedure to do.

22. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It is absolutely overwhelming at first. Will it help to know that everyone of us felt that way? Believe it or not, once you can test, you really get a feeling of control.

I hope you will get in contact with Claudia. Sometimes just talking it through with someone else is such a relief. And if she will help you with that first home testing poke, it will seem so much more doable.

23. Kathyh

Kathyh Member

The first few days of testing are stressful. But you soon feel very impowered, REALLY! I was so upset when Maisey & I started that my MS activated. A few days later, I had me and stress under control. With the help of this wonderful group of people we quickly went down to micro doses and after only a month Maisey didn't need insulin. I still test weekly, just for my own piece of mind.
    Stick with us, we will all pitch in to help and affirm you.
    HUGS

24. sapling

sapling New Member

My first hometest was a nightmare - even though Fluffers was so good about it. But the 2nd time we did, it went a lot more smoothly and now just 3 days later I'm feeling a lot more confident about doing it (I'm just not confident about which meter to use!). Ah well. I feel really good knowing how she is doing and not just randomly shooting her with insulin and hoping for the best.

It's not nearly as bad as I expected, though I am so lucky she is so incredibly patient. My other cat would kill me if I came near her with a needle.

My first hometest - I saw the vet tech prick the ear with the lancet by hand, and she recommended it so I thought, what the hey, I don't need the jabby spring thingie. Yes, well, as soon as I pricked the ear, kitty jerked away, and she started bleeding everywhere. Then, because it's what cats do, she started shaking her head. Blood started spattering everywhere.

Fluffers seemed remarkably chill about the entire thing - she didn't even get up - so thank god I didn't feel like I'd seriously hurt her. But after I'd stopped the bleeding, I hopped in the shower and felt like a murder victim washing away the evidence. Little red drops on both arms and my face. For about 5 seconds I had been convinced my cat was somehow going to bleed to death from her ear.

Now I use the automatic lancet thingie. It goes super quick and Fluffers doesn't even seem to notice. Maybe I just don't have the steadiness of hand to do it manually.

I don't mean the story to be scary - just that even if you somehow screw up as badly as I did, your kitty will forgive you, and at the end of the day she'll be better for it. :smile:

25. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Winni, and, of course, you too, sweet Simba,

I'm probably the FDMB poster girl for being an absolute, emotional, needle-phobic, train wreck. We could ask for a vote if you really need it...

Gizzie was diagnosed back in 2003 shortly after her 14th Birthday. Yet, despite my stress and nervousness and train wreckedness, we danced for four more years. And, ironically? The only "cat" food she'd actually eat was DM.

Diabetes didn't take her. Being like 90, she simply decided her work here was done.

This wondrous community has dealt with me practicing shooting a hot pad that bore a remarkable resemblance to Giz's scruff when tented until I could get over my whole needle issue. They patiently waited one month and 28 days until I actually poked myself and discovered my BG was 21 and figured I was already dead (and actually posted my deceasement here), so had nothing left to lose by testing Cujo -- I'm sure I meant to say Gizmo! They waited with me sitting on the toilet (lid down...) waiting to catch pee because her ER vet want to check her specific gravity (excuse me, but doesn't pee always go down?) which I caught in cough syrup cups and delivered in basically three hermetically sealed baggies around midnight in a torrential rainstorm (how perfect...). Just try to imagine the look on the triage team as I burst into the ER without an animal at midnight; but, with a hermetically sealed baggy.

I think I'm a real contender for being the messiest FDMB mess. (I haven't even mentioned the post where I had a cat in the rafters and was pretty sure I swallowed a bug...) I'm amazed they still let me post here...

Yet, within 24 hours a little over three years ago, I got two emails independent of each other. They were about a sugar cat named Nikki... She's a quirky furry with HUGE green eyes that just bowl me over. So, I dragged my steel-tipped toe shoes from the back of my closet and started dancing, yet again... Apparently, I'm a trustworthy emotional, less needle-phobic (now...), train wreck...

Quite frankly, dear Winni? I'd be worried if you weren't a mess.

A wondrous soul here used to say, knowledge is power. She was right. You'll test when you're ready. Just don't wait one month and 28 days!

Welcome to the place you never wanted to be; but, will be blessed for having found.

Love and encouraging hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, whose diabetes taught me to be a better person and who sent me Nikki!

PS: I'm a free feeder. Giz, then, and Nikki, now, were/are grazers... I just feel more comfortable knowing food is available 24/7...

PPS: I'm not a vet basher. But, I have trained two vet gems!

26. Winni

Winni Member

I have to be honest. Your story scares the hell out of me. Where to I find this automatic lancet thingie ?

Deb415andNikki - I'm glad to hear that Gizzie only ate DM. My Simba is eating dry DM, but it scares me what I have read about any dry food being deadly to a diabetic cat. It's like putting gasoline into a fire and you can't figure out how to shut it off. This is what I read on this site from a previous poster, can't remember who. Simba also eats Calssic Fancy Feast wet, which I hear is good for diabetic cats.

Yes, I will do hometesting when I'm ready. I'm NOT afraid of needles at all since I work for surgeons, but my poor Simba gets insulin injections twice, never mind pricking the poor kitty even more now. He will HATE me.

Maybe I will try this weekend. I don't mind pricking humans with needles but when it comes to animals, it's just not my cup of tea. Thank you all so much.

27. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Go to WalMart and get a Reli-On brand lancet device and 'fine' (NOT ultra-fine) lancets.

Ask the pharmacist to help you find it, if necessary.

28. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Winni, and, of course, you too, sweet Simba,

Gizzie also ate grilled chicken, steak, and pork chops in addition to her 1/4 cup of DM dry twice a day. She was an incredibly picky eater... (I actually burned out two George Foreman grills grilling for her.)

I'm going to tell you a Giz combo DM/home testing story, okay?

One Saturday afternoon, I watched Giz casually saunter over and eat an entire 1/4 cup of DM dry in one sitting. She never ate anything in one sitting (trust me...), so I got curious and tested her. She was 40. She was on increasing doses of Humulin N at the time and I'd never seen double digits before, so I tested her again. She was 36. I remember just staring at the meter... She got extra steak that afternoon and she was fine -- probably more due to the DM than the steak. All I cared about was that she was fine.

My point is this. Whatever works, works. Every Cat Is Different. ECID...

Giz taught me sugar cat math: Ear pokes + treats + shots = feeling better. When Simba feels better, he will never hate you. Give him treats. Give yourself treats.

It is most rewarding dancing with a sugar cat. There's a bond you can't even begin to imagine...

I believe in you, Winni. I believe you will go the distance with Simba. When you're ready...

Love and encouraging hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who taught me pretty much about everything...

29. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Most blood glucose meter kits include a lancet device. It's the pen-like thing a Human diabetic uses to prick a finger to get a blood drop.

If the meter you buy doesn't include one (check the box to see what's included), you can buy the lancet device seprarately. And buy extra lancets, too (usually comes in a box of 100 for like $10 or so). Lancets are generally specific to a particular lancet device and are not interchangeable with other brands.

Most pharmacies have a few lancet devices. I do not recommend the CVS brand one. It's impossible to use (keeps setting itself off at the slightest touch so you're constantly trying to reset it and attempt to use it.... while trying to keep your cat from slinking away) :-Q I really like the AccuChek SoftClix lancet device. I found the MultiClix one too fat to hold in my small hands but I know there are people here who use and like it.

30. sapling

sapling New Member

Hehe, I didn't mean the story to be scary - just to say that sometimes I think it's worse for us than them. I was freaking out and Fluffers seemed cool as a cucumber. :)

As someone else just said the lancet devices typically come with the glucometers but you can also buy them alone. It is just a spring-loaded "pen" shaped object that the disposable lancets fit into. On most of them you can twist the cap to adjust how deep the poke will go. I have been using a 29 or 30 gauge lancet (the 33 gauge are smaller but it seems everyone on here has trouble actually getting blood from the ear using them). I also usually use it on one of the higher settings - eg the 4th "deepest" out of 5 since I'd rather poke her a little deeper than have to do it multiple times.

I fold up a paper towel to hold behind her ear so I don't jab myself - then press the automatic lancet device firmly against the edge of her ear, flat against the papertowel in the other hand, and pull the trigger.

It makes a little click/spring noise when it goes which I was worried would scare her, but she doesn't seem to mind. Sometimes I've had to poke twice but that seems to be par for the course on new kitties.

I also make sure to rub her ear for a minute or two first to get the blood flowing and to warm it up. And then right after testing, I use the paper towel to hold her ear and make sure the bleeding stops.

I have used the OneTouch lancet device with success - as well as the AlphaTrak (borrowed from the vet), but I think that one is needlessly expensive. The ReliOn glucometer came with a broken lancet device so I'm not convinced of their quality, though they all feel a bit flimsy since they're just a bit of plastic loaded with a spring.

I notice a lot of people here do it by hand, as did my vet, and I wondered if there is a reason for that? The automatic lancet just seems so much quicker and after trying it on myself I definitely found it less painful than pricking by hand - it happens so fast the anticipation is worse than the prick.

31. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Sapling, and, of course, you too, sweet Fluffers,

It was the clicking noise with the lancet device. It made us both jump. That's why I became a free hander... It's an up close and personal and quiet approach that worked for Giz and now works for Nikki. It works for me too...

Love and ninja hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

32. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Not me...I could never get a drop of blood doing it by hand. My vet demonstrated how to do it by hand and did it perfectly, and I was getting so frustrated not being able to get it right. Bandit was a squirmer at first, so I was terrified I was going to poke too deep and hurt his ear if I did it free-hand. So I tried the Relion device that came with my first meter and loved it. I had much better luck with the lancet device, because it was easier for me to aim. I've tried a few others since then, but the Relion is the easiest imho.

33. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I have PM'd Winni & Simba and hopefully will be able to get there soon to help with testing.

MJ&Donovan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.