Wishing for help with a standard letter to cat food suppliers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Audrey's Momma, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audrey's Momma

Audrey's Momma Member

I would have no problem in sending a standard email (with some added personal experiences) to major cat food suppliers in asking about their carb counts. Forgive my ignorance in this matter, but I'm still trying to figure this out. I find cat food analysis a bit confusing. I would like to contribute to the updating of cat food lists. I'm in Canada.

I know there is the standard Guaranteed Analysis and 'As Fed' analysis and there is a big difference.

Would someone be so kind as to help me compose a nice, standard friendly email letter I may send cat food companies in asking how we can get that information, what to ask for and how it may ultimately affect our pets?

We have a collective voice, and what scares me is the detrimental information advertised about how healthy some pet foods are, when in fact, some (not all) may cause harm to our dear fur-kids.

I'd love some kind of template letter that can be modified for everyone on this board, so we may indeed contact our national companies to try and attempt to obtain this information.

I think it need not be threatening in any manner, but just a nice, polite email letter asking what their stance is on labelling of carbs, protein and fat and possibly why it's standard practice for humans, but not in the case of animal food.

I know in Canada, there are constant ads from Sobey's/Safeway (Jamie Oliver - Fresh food) and Superstore (Galen Weston Jr.) regaling such fresh and exciting food...real food...and the down home approach to advertising....for us human folks. The pet products are a huge part of their dynasty, but seem to be on the back burner. My local Pet Valu has no clue as to any low carb options (deer in headlights).

Will this get any results? Maybe not, but if we all had a standard letter from a pro cat food expert that we can modify and try to get answers, the pressure may start with national food companies and we can also send an email to our Government Food inspection Agencies for the request of revamping of pet food labels.

I just don't know how to properly ask for certain information. The simpler the better.

As witnessed here on FDMB, we have people from all over the globe with sick, diabetic cats (and dogs). There are things in place for humans, but no real strategies in place for the proper labelling of pet food. It think it has improved, but it could be a lot better.

Because I liked gravy, I thought my pets liked it too. Not a good choice, but I'd no idea. :)

Any contributions to a standard letter are welcomed. I'd love to help but I just don't know how to compose it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.