With or without hydrocortizone - ear drops for civvie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karrie and Maverick, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I have seen what the hydrocortizone ear drops can do for a diabetic kitty. I have to decide on zymox with or without 1% hydrocortizone. My 3 year old civvie (not diabetic, but very overweight) had a dental last week and had his ears cleaned. Today one of his ears seems to be annoying him.

What would you guys go with for a civvie?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Are the ears dirty or do you think yeast or mites is a problem?

Step 1 is start with clean ears. Lambert Vet Supply offers a number of ear solutions - cleaning, yeast, inflammation, mites, etc

If the cat makes wax profusely, there could be an allergic component, in which case the anti-inflammatory ear solutions (generally Rx, not OTC), may be the best option, short of desensitization shots or identifying and eliminating a food allergen.

Does the ear smell foul? That seems to go with yeast and bacterial infections; your vet should be able to take a sample and evaluate it for those.

3. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

The ear had a discharge - she swabbed it when he was under and she found it was a lot gunkier down in the ear. No mites or anything but showed chochei or some sort of bacteria. Not a large amount. She said now that his ears are clean (she cleaned them when he was under) to just see how he does. Maybe his ear was just itchy today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.