WMASS glucose testing help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, I am in need of someone in my area to help me with testing my cat. My boyfriend and I have tried many times with not alot of success. I can't seem to find a vet tech in my area or anyone (posted ads in many places) willing to help me get this right.
    I really hope someone here is in my area. My cat is on 3 units of insulin 2xday. He is good with dealing with ear pricks but we don't get blood fast enough for meter before the stupid timer shuts off. Then we have to use another strip. Who put a timer on a meter for animals?! I have heard human meters don't have timers,why would animals? It's hard enough keeping them still, while pricking their ear, and getting blood, not to mention getting monitor and putting test strip in it. I only got 2 hands, even with 2 people, its 4 not 10. Lol. I know you have heard this before but I had to say it anyway.
    So I pray someone is in Western Massachusetts. I am in Westfield near northern part of the town.
    Please contact me if your in the area.
    Thanks,
    Darnell & Sprocket.

2. Chester05

Chester05 New Member

What I use is an AlphaTRAK meter with the FreeStyle Lite test strips, it only requires a blood sample size of 0.3 microliters. I prick his ear and sometimes I have to squeeze it to get it to draw blood once I have enough blood I push the strip fully in the meter and once the meter is ready I test the sample. At times Chester will move due to his discomfit and cause me to miss the sample at which time I would have to prick him again and hopefully have enough time before the meter times out. I do have the meter close by with the strip inserted just not fully until I have a sample of his blood ready to test I also grab his ear and hold it very tight to keep him still during all of this. Chester though for the most part stays still. I test Chester's glucose at least twice a day and lately it has been 3 or more a day.
    I hope this information helps you.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Human meters have timers on them too....if you put the strip into the meter but don't quite push it far enough in to "activate", that'll give you more time to get the poke in....then when you have the blood sample, push it the rest of the way in and touch the strip to the sample.

The Relion Confirm or Micro from WalMart are great meters, and have affordable strips ...they also take the tiniest sample. The strips have a small area that will automatically "sip up" the blood from the sample and then you can just put the meter down and let it do it's thing while you hold your cats ear to stop the bleeding

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you. Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

4. Chris & China (GA)

You might want to put your location into your subject line too...might help if someone's in your area

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you snag the droplet on a clean fingernail, you can test from there and release the cat to focus on the testing process.

6. Nanaskitty

Nanaskitty Member

Hello - I'm in Western Mass, very close to you. If you still need help, let me know! We go to Westfield every weekend, near the Southampton line.

7. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I did put my location : WMASS. Short for western massachusetts, well known here. :joyful:

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Hope you and @Nanaskitty can get together @Darnell !! It makes it so much easier to have someone show you in person how to test!

9. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Chris, Am I missing a message? You mentioned a person, "you" with nanaskitty to get together with Darnell. Who were you referring to?
    Thanks, Darnell

10. Chris & China (GA)

The reply directly about your comment about what WMASS means

@Nanaskitty said

11. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Oh yes. Sorry still learning the tech stuff on this page.
    She got in touch with me today, we are going to chat tomorrow. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.