Wolfie's b/w preview * update 5-26

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheryl and Winnie, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Vet is putting hard copies in mail. Hopefully will have tomorrow.

the good news:
    his renal values are stable.

the not so good news:
    ALT 284
    AlK Phos 155
    anemia worse ( didn't get the number )

He was dx'd in Dec with benign hepatic biliary cystadenoma . normal LFTs
    for those curious (thanks to Steph who had this link in her profile on old board -- it came up first on google )
    http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/ ... /bcc.shtml

Given the nature of these cysts, along with his age and health issues, surgical treatment not considered.

very likely the abnormal LFTs are from this condition. she was especially concerned about the ALK Phos and suggested we go ahead and order Actigall. ( after looking around decided to go w/ compounded dose. giving 1/6 of a capsule sprinkled on something for a cat whose appy is sketchy and grazes didn't seem the best. )

Talked about seeing someone else sooner. She didn't feel it was necessary.
    I keep going back and forth on that. Made sense at the time we talked. Going to sleep on it.

Jess -- thanks for the suggestion to do an all day drop off -- spec is out of town, and I am unable to drive. so that makes it very hard to do.

as for the anemia. Has been grad getting worse over the years. For awhile I added nutrived to his food but he really didn't like the taste. he is struggling to eat as it is. maybe need to orally dose ? I have some here from Winnie. She said it was not enough to impact his liver issues. He does get Bcomplex and additional B12. She didn't say, but he has not been in the needs procrit range.
    (Q: the nutrived also has lots of B's wondering if I can overdo ? I know the B12 is ok. but some of the others... like niacin are *usually* more carefully dosed -- in beans anyways )

I'll post the numbers when I get them.

Keep those good vibes coming for Wolfie.
    Thanks ever so much.

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Re: Wolfie's b/w preview

don't know about nutrived, but meowzi gets a dose of inj. fortified b complex in her squids every night. i'd think that has more b's than nutrived? i can look up the concentration at lunch time, it's agrilabs fort. b complex and she gets 0.4 ml daily except sundays, when we give b-12 instead. now i have to wonder - dr S was the one who looked up the b complex dose for us, and he knows it's fortified.

re: procrit - hope you don't need it, but if you ever do, jess once mentioned that aranesp seems to be tolerated better?

hope the actigall helps. more good vibes on way.

3. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

(((Cheryl))) I have no advice to offer but you and Wolfie are in my thoughts.

4. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Cheryl,

Sending good thoughts and lots of prayers to you and Wolfie.

5. WCF and Meowzi

Is it Nutrived B omplex plus iron liquid? here's what i found:

http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/su ... taminb.htm
    NutriVed B Complex Plus Iron Liquid; Each teaspoonful (5 mL) contains:Liver fraction 250 mg Minerals: Copper (from copper sulfate) 250 mcg Iron (from iron peptonized) 25 mg Vitamins: Vitamin B1 (thiamine) 7.5 mcg Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 1.5 mg Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) 1.5 mg Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin) 2.5 mcg Choline 7.5 mg Folic acid 10.0 mcg Inositol 20.0 mg Niacin 20.0 mg Pantothenic acid 7.5 mg Indications: For supplementation of the diet to aid in the prophylaxis and treatment of iron, copper, amino acid, and vitamin B-complex deficiencies in young or orphaned dogs and cats and convalescent or debilitated dogs and cats. [Editor's note -- best for anemic animals.]

AgriLabs Fortified B Complex, 0.5 ml
    Thiamine HCl (Vitamin B1) 50 mg
    Riboflavin (as 5' phosphate sodium) (Vitamin B2) 2.5 mg
    Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) 50 mg
    d-panthenol (Vitamin B5) 5 mg
    Pyridoxine HCl (Vitamin B6) 5 mg
    Cyanocobalamin (cryst.) (Vitamin B12) 50 mcg
    Benzyl alcohol (preservative) 1.5%
    Water (2) q.s.

We give 0.4 ml, so she's getting a little less than what's listed up here, but it's more than what's in a tsp of Nutrived B Complex plus Iron. But niacinamide is a different form from niacin? So I really don't know the answer.

Just saw a reference to niacin at 2g a day can cause (reversible) liver damage in humans? Didn't know that. Wonder if it's same for niacinamide. Guess I have more reading to do this weekend. :roll:

6. Cheryl and Winnie

Thanks for looking up all the B info CF. appreciate it. ( let me know if you find out anything about the niacin)

and am very appreciative for the continues support from all.

as for today---
    No labs in mail cat(2)_steam

and the bad part is he is doing terribly. the worse I have ever ever seen him. ever.
    mirtz usu. works a little even in bad mirtz cycle ...... nothing. am feeding him.

I would at first guess, if I didn't know better by what the vet told me of his labs, think he had low potassium.
    He is weak. and sleepy. He is usually under foot trying to sneak outside ( he is allowed out supervised and stays in the garden) He was out the night before w/ family member.
    Tonight I carried him out. He sat there with his eyes closed. then layed down. ( and this was evening after things had cooled off . all day I just thought it was the heat and humidity. -- finally got the ac hooked up tonight)
    Our friendly neighbor cat was over visiting and they hissed at each other as usual and then ignored each other. (Peanut pretty much lived here one summer, but that's another tale)
    But he didn't eat any grass. or catnip. He did get up and explore the garage. but then he layed down in there near wear some mice have made a home. usually he would snoop around more and crouch . This was different. like he was interested , but no energy to do more.
    I picked him up and set him next to me on the swing. he never stays there. but he did. and took a nap.
    we came in and he went right to his bed. no pestering those in the kitchen or anything.

now wondering what that HCT was and if taking blood for the test could cause such an effect ?
    or if poking around on his lump or liver caused more problems ?

am going to call vet in am. not sure anything she can do unless the hct really is that low.
    but I think she would of said something instead of just lower. she was way more concerned about the liver values. crud. and some other words I won't type here.

one thing the vet and I talked about is how a year ago.... wel...less than that.... you would never guess his age. Then Winnie passed in aug. and he has had one thing after another.

My heart hurts.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((((((((((((((((((CHERYL))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wrapping you in cyber hugs

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Cheryl, I'm sorry I didn't get your PM till thismorning. You're probably heading over to the vet soon anyway.

I don't know what LFTs are. Does that mean liver values? His aren't that impressive at all. Do you have a GGT value? Acute worsening could be caused by blocking of a bile duct, if the cyst gets too big. But given the drop in hematocrit and his symptoms, I'm worried there is something else going on. I dn't remember his total health history.

I have to leave for work now but will look for your update when I get home. Best of luck today, keep us posted.

9. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

hope you find the answer and you have many more years with wolfie. it hurts when they hurt. ((((Cheryl)))). get well wolfie

10. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

denamarin for the liver values and sucralfate for the anemia? cleo got sucralfate coz we suspected ulcer causing anemia and who knows whether it's what worked or not but she doesn't have anemia any more.

sending good vibes that you get reassuring news about wolfie. (((HUGS)))

11. Cheryl and Winnie

going to 24/7 er/spec hospital.

going to OP specialty hospital.
    rather not have to sweat it out for the holiday weekend.

he is still pretty much the same as yesterday.
    he did just barf and the force of it sent him head over heals off the bed --- well he was trying to get down to get sick and then it happend.
    is ok from that.

now catching sunbeam .

they may have to keep him overnight depending on what is found and/ or if IM is able to u/s him tonight.

thanks to all for your continued support and help.

thanks for talking to me chris and giving me a sounding board on what to do !

12. WCF and Meowzi

(((wolfie))) (((cheryl)))
    still sending good vibes.

13. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

yep, the looming 3-day weekend and the fact that he is NOT at the end says go get the tests you need rather than just guessing or throwing in IV fluids. i hate that it's such an ordeal to get out of town to the specialty vet. wish i lived anywhere near -- you know i'd take you.
    waiting anxiously for an update.

14. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Anxiously awaiting your update Cheryl ...

15. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Sending prayers for dear Wolfie and for you, too, Cheryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.