Wondering about switching food..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by megandenman, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megandenman

megandenman Member

After getting several replies on another topic I posted, I am thinking that I should switch Teddy from a dry cat food to something better. Can I please have suggestions on what I should be giving him instead? Also, he hates everything but his dry food, but someone was kind enough to give me a link to a site that has hints about switching a picky kitty's food. :)

I am also wondering how much of the food he should get, and also if I should wait to switch it until after I've learned to to the home testing and get his current issues worked out as well.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

IMHO, you should wait until you are hometesting because you are giving 3.5 units. When we changed from dry to wet, Oliver's bg levels went down 100 points overnight. If we hadn't tested him the next morning, we would have given him his regular dose and he would have hypoed.

Yes, Dr. Lisa's site is great. We feed wet, lo carb between 8-10% carbs - brand doesn't matter as long as your cat will eat it and you can afford it. Favorite brands here are Fancy Feast, Friskies, Wellness.....Check out this food chart:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm to find carb levels. And check your dry food while you are at it - probably a lot higher than 8-10%.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

With the amount of insulin being used, I think you want him to eat as much canned as he will. Otherwise, you risk a hypoglycemic episode which could kill him.

And you really need to be testing him to make any decisions about the insulin. I just started testing today - Spitzer is a tad squirmy, but otherwise good natured, so I've done it a whopping twice now.

He's supposed to get 2.5 units every 12 hours. When I tested him this evening (after eating) and his BG was only 45! If I gave him insulin, I could easily have killed him.

BJ

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I would wait until you are home testing. If his bg's drop with the food switch and you are not home testing he could be in danger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.