wondering about switching insulins

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lulu's2Moms, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lulu's2Moms

Lulu's2Moms Member

i am looking for some input for my "little" lulu. his numbers are going down and he's doing great... but i really want to get him otj. i think he wants this too. right now we are giving him 1 drop of humulin, but i am wondering about the whole curve thingy. he's staying under 200, but i am wondering if it would be worth it to change to a longer lasting insulin at this point... if it would be possible to get more consistent numbers and if this would help him more in the long run. at the beginning of all of this my instinct was to get him on lantus or levemir.. but then his numbers started to go down in the past two weeks. any thoughts?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: looking for input.. currant Humulin N user

When's the last time you did a curve, with readings every 2 hours? That might be useful in making a decision - you could see how steep the curve was going up and down, plus where the nadir was.

The sustained action of Lantus would likely make it a shallower curve than the Humulin and the nadir is around +6 hours.

3. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I can tell you one thing.....Spot loves Lev! He was also on N for 7 months. Look at his ss...you will see what his numbers were on N and then after a few months on Lev. Spot has been otj a few times, but his pancreas just won't kick it into high gear and let him go longer w/o juice for any longer than two months. I honestly believe that if I would have made the transition to Lev sooner, his pancreas may not have gotten so damaged and he would be able to go otj and stay otj.
    I say it couldn't hurt to switch, but make sure you read all the stickies and pick one of the two insulins, Lev or Lantus, which will better suit your needs.

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

We are on Lev too....Lulu has nice numbers but I am afraid I know nothing about Humilin N....I had been using Vetsulin previously. The longer duration insulins are great, whether you choose Lantus or Lev....maybe others will have some suggestions for you....would love to see you both here though! ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.