Wondering if a cat can be switched from Prozinc to Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teena, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teena

Teena New Member

Hello,

I just found this group. I have a diabetic cat named Cydnee and she has been diabetic for 2 years. I have a question. Can a cat be switched from Prozinc to Vetsulin? What would be the cons of doing so? Thank you

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I would not swap from Prozinc to Vetsulin. Prozinc is a longer lasting and gentler insulin than Vetsulin which is harsher and has a shorter duration.
    If you are not happy with Prozinc then a better option would be to look at swapping to Lantus or Levemir which are both very good insulins for cats. They are both long acting insulins and gentler insulins thsn Vetsulin.
    Bron

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

As Bron says above, Prozinc is generally a gentler and longer-lasting insulin than Vetsulin.
    The Royal Veterinary college in London has found that cats switched from Vetsulin/Caninsulin to Prozinc typically had better overall glycemic control, better clinical signs, and an increased chance of remission. For this reason cats who aren't doing well on Vetsulin may find benefit in switching from Vetsulin to Prozinc, but not the other way round...

There are some cats who do just fine on Vetsulin, but chances of success are increased with a longer-lasting insulin.

Vetsulin is cheaper than Prozinc, so that is the only obvious advantage I can see of switching from Prozinc to Vetsulin. However, Prozinc 'may' have a slightly longer shelf life after opening than Vetsulin, so a vial 'may' last longer.

Are you testing your kitty's blood glucose at home? Are you finding that the Prozinc isn't working well for Cydnee?
    We have a great Prozinc forum here at FDMB with experienced and really helpful people who can help you get the best from this insulin.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

Eliz

Teena and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Teena, I saw you posted more info in the Welcome forum so am reposting what you wrote here:

Teena, many folks here feed their kitties Fancy Feast.

And you can probably use your own glucose meter to test her with. Many of us here use human glucose meters for our kitties and most meters are fine. The only meter that some have had problems with (on kitties) is the Freestyle Lite, as this sometimes reads high numbers as being lower than they actually are.

There are ways to save money. Blood glucose testing can be done at home more cheaply than at the vet. And many supplies can be bought online more cheaply than from the vet (syringes, insulin, etc).
    And how long are you using your Prozinc for? It can last quite a long time if stored well.

Eliz

Teena likes this.
  5. Teena

Teena New Member

Thank you! I test myself with Frestyle Lite so I guess I'll have to buy a different one to test her blood. It's the one that works best for me.

6. Teena

Teena New Member

Thank you! I will keep her on Prozinc.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Teena, there's nothing to stop you using the Freestyle Lite for your kitty. Just be aware that if the meter doesn't seem to register any high numbers there 'might' be a problem. The meter should be absolutely fine with reading the lower ranges of numbers. And that's where you really want accuracy.

Eliz

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I use a Freestyle Lite meter for Teasel and it works really well - tiny blood drop, no error readings. It tends to read a little on the low side so I keep that in mind when evaluating BGs.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.