Wondering if I should increase by 0.5u

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lara & Luciole (Lu), Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

Lara & Luciole (Lu) Member

My cat Sam has been on insulin for 11 days now

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I second increasing by 1/2 unit.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

4. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I don't see enough information, as Deb said, about Sam on his spread sheet. You seem to have been missing some other days also?

What caused him to drop into the 20's on March 25th? Do you know?

I had treated one of my diabetics with Lantus, but I know that I was usually more or less afraid to go changing the dosing around at times, and I don't know if you have had Sam on the Lantus long enough for a change that high. Doesn't seem high, but I think with Lantus, it does, especially if you are going to up it with both shots during the day?

Larry has a lot of experience with Lantus, so I would think he pretty much knows what is okay to do.

I usually used PZI, and I only had my cat on Lantus for about a half of a year or so. Both of my diabetics are passed away now, though. :(

As Deb recommended, best to get as much info on your signature area if possible, and try not to skip days on the SS. Do you keep a little notebook with you when you shoot the insulin? That way, until you get back to the SS, you won't forget the test numbers or the times, etc.

Good luck!
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

5. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

Thanks for the replies!

6. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

And should add that I've been feeding him and his brother a raw diet their entire lives. I make the Feline Future diet, and don't give high glucose treats, just things like freeze-dried chicken, and the occasional half a quail, or chicken wing tip.

I've always had long-lived, healthy cats and am very surprised to have my beloved boy develop diabetes, but I'd like to get him healthy again.

Jean and Charcoal - so sorry to hear of your loss <3

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

nag nag nag more tests nag nag nag ;) Shooting without testing is like driving with a bag over your head. Or playing Russian roulette... you never know when you will get a low number.

But to be honest I suspect he will need a dose increase anyway but still nag nag tests at least every pre shot nag nag ;)

8. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

I so appreciate

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

10. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

Scats from way back.

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

CUTE!!!! They win todays cute award!

Now give him his prize.. poke in the ear.

12. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Belle (hope that is your name?),

Thanks for the kind words. I lost my two black diabetic boys in 2009. But, I did just lose my 17 and a half year old Ketchie in February from several disease processes, mostly CRF. Her brother was one of my diabetics.

Wendy is right, though about testing each time before a shot. I only had my boys with me for 3 years each on insulin, but never once did I shoot insulin without testing first.

With my Rudder, it was good I was, because he suddenly was getting very, very sick, and developed cancer, and his numbers started dropping a lot, and I had to back down on the insulin. It was like the cancer was eating the sugar in his body. At least it sure seemed that way. So, I agree with the folks here who emphasize constant testing. It is a real life saver.

My husband (he died 7 years ago) had diabetes and a ton of other diseases, but one day I tested him and he was down to 44 and almost dead. Good I had that Karo syrup here, and got it into him fast and brought him back to 'life' just about.

So, in our furbabies, we must always test. It is too risky not to.

Take care!
    Hugs to you and your boys. I have a cat looks like your Sam, and I once had four black cats, all boys, and I sure do miss them! They are all so special! Your Java is so handsome!
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.