Wonky sugar numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stacy & Asia, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

This is a recent diagnosis, so I barely know what I'm doing, but from the research I've done so far, these numbers aren't making much sense. I'm hoping someone might have some insight, my vet is perplexed as to why a high number in the night would equal a low number in the morning.

Asia's reads were relatively high, but on a predictable "u" shaped curve the last curve I did on 9.29. On the morning of 10.1 her number was 308, before dinner, she tested at HI and then at 638 an hour later (after 1 unit of Lantus insulin). The next morning (10.2) her number was 64, I skipped insulin, the next evening it was 613. This morning it was 100, I waited a little over an hour and gave her insulin (didn't want a repeat of yesterday and have it go really high) when her number was at 157. Her number has slowly increased by about 20 per hour since the insulin, for about 5 hours (peaking at 268) until the most recent test, 8 hours after insulin, where it slightly decreased (244). This is making not a "u" shaped curve, but an "n" shaped curve. Does this make any sense to anybody? I don't understand what's going on, but I plan to test her throughout the night to see what's happening from that dose until the morning dose.

21 year old female cat, CRF since 8.2016, 8.6 lb, Stella & Chewys frozen raw chicken diet
    Diagnosed diabetes 9.20.17
    AlphaTRAK2 meter with AlphaTRAK strips

2. Stacy & Asia

Vet just got back to me:

"There is sometimes a stress response of hyperglycemia if there insulin goes to low but it doesn't look like thats the case. Why don't you stop the insulin for the evening dose and see where her blood sugar is then and in the am. "

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like 1U may be too high a dose

Your vet seems to have a decent grasp of what's going on (better than most).....We call it "bouncing"

When 1. the blood glucose drops too low, 2. it drops too quickly or 3. it drops into a number the cat's body isn't used to anymore (or any combination of the three), the liver releases stored sugars and hormones to bring it back up quickly. It can take up to 3 days for those hormones to clear the body.

Generally, if you are getting Pre-shot readings that are too low to shoot, it's because the dose is too high.

Since your cat is recently diagnosed, you won't see a classic "U" shaped curve.....it can take months to get any semblance of regulation so I think you're probably expecting too much, too soon.

We have a great spreadsheet we all use here that helps us see the "patterns" we look for. It'd really help for you to start keeping track of your numbers so we can help teach you how to manage your "extra sweet" kitty as best you can!!

Here are Instructions on getting the FDMB spreadsheet ...if you have any problems getting it started, let us know!

Stacy & Asia and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Stacy & Asia

She wanted to up the dose to 1.5 units after seeing the results from the first curve. I wasn't expecting anything really, but I guess I lucked out because the first one was a nice U shaped curve (although the numbers were all high between 230-449) So you think skipping the dose tonight will tell me anything? I'm trying to figure out that spreadsheet

5. Chris & China (GA)

Any data is good data!!!...you'll learn what happens to the blood glucose when you skip!....but since you didn't shoot, you don't have to worry about her going too low either so don't stay up all night testing. You learn to sleep when you can around here!

That's one of the big reasons we're not big fans of "curves"....that just shows a snapshot of one cycle on one day....it doesn't tell the whole story.

If you can't figure out how to start the spreadsheet, feel free to send me a private message by clicking on my name and choosing "Start Conversation"

It takes me about 30 seconds to set them up once I have a little information from you

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

I haven't gotten to the setting it part yet, I only have a phone and iPad so it's tricky to do some things. Do I have to set up my own google account or can I use a friends?

7. Stacy & Asia

Got it!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Good job!!!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  9. Stacy & Asia

I think I figured out the spreadsheet and I populated it with the data I have thus far. I included Asia's most recent lab numbers in there as well. If you peek at it and anything looks wonky, please let me know.

I skipped her insulin last night at my vet's recommendation and her sugar went very high by the morning, poor girl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.