Won't eat and vomited

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennyBankers, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

Marbles was put on two eye drops (one being a steroid) for inflammation of her eye. She has stopped eating (last time she ate was right at 24 hours ago) and she just vomited at the sight of food (I carried her into the kitchen to try and get her to eat). She is very lethargic and doesn't want to move unless I carry her somewhere. Her BG is currently at 212.

I am worried about her becoming dehydrated (and of course, tomorrow is Sunday so the vet isn't open). I was able to get a dropper full of water into her. She drank it no problem. If she keeps that down, I am going to give her more water in about 30 minutes. Hopefully, that will at least keep her from getting too dehydrated if I can get some water into her.

What should/can I do for her? Would eye drops really cause nauseousness in a cat? She is due for her next dose in a couple hours, but I'm now worried that giving her the eye drops would make her feel worse but she needs them for her eye.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Keep going with the water a few times, then see if you can make a slurry with a bit of food in it and give that. If an mL stays down, do another in 30 minutes or so. Gradually increase the amount if you can.

If she doesn't eat for 2 or more days, she is at risk of hepatic lipidosis, where fat breakdown for calories inflames the liver, blocks bile from entering the digestion, and so severely disrupts digestion that the cat can die.

3. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

She threw up the water. I just tried another syringe of water so I'm going to wait and see if she throws that up before trying food. I gave her the drops again too. Not sure if that was the right decision?

4. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

She kept down 2 droppers of water at 330am and 530am. Just gave her a third at 730am. I'm glad I'm getting water in her but she still hasn't eaten. Might try a dropper of food in around noon.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What was the other eye med?
    I would talk to the vet abut anti-vomiting med like cerenia.

6. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

You better get her to the vet. It sounds like she could be having a bout of pancreatitis. Here is what one of our senior members wrote about pancreatitis

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=83108

My concern is that she is not eating and that can lead to a whole another set of problems.

Terri

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

In addition to anti-nausea meds like cerenia or ondansetron, it might be worth having a chat with your vet about prescribing cyproheptadine as an appetite stimulant. It's gentler and less risky in terms of side effects than mirtazapine. A tiny sliver is usually enough to stimulate appetite for many hours.

I hope that Marbles feels better soon. cat_pet_icon

8. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

She has been keeping the water down. Just gave her the 4th dropper full. Do you think I should take her to emergency vet or wait until her vet is open tomorrow at 7am?

9. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

The eye meds are: 5% sodium chloride and prednisolone acetate.

10. Critter Mom

With the time differences it's hard to know when Marbles last had food. How many hours is it since she ate something and kept it down? Is it 36 hours?

Does your vet have an out-of-hours number that you could call to get advice? If it was my cat, I'd be looking to get her to the vet for help.

11. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

She had a full can at about 830pm Friday night and about a 1/2 can at midnight (I also got her to eat a treat yesterday afternoon). So, it has been around 35 hours since she last ate. I haven't tried to get any food in her since last night when she threw up at the sight of food. I've just been working on getting water in her which she now seems to be keeping down at the rate of one dropper full every two hours. She has been sleeping/laying in the corner of my closet since about 330am (this is not a normal spot for her).

I called her vet but the message just says to leave a message and it will be returned during normal business hours, and if it is an emergency they tell me to call another vet emergency clinic (which my parents' took their cat to years ago for an injury and they were wonderful but expensive).

I really want her vet to see her since she knows her history, BUT I don't want her to get worse because I didn't take her to the emergency vet. I hate that this happened on a Sunday - the only day her vet is closed.

12. Critter Mom

Would the emergency vets be able to advise you over the phone?

13. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

Neither emergency vet would advise me over the phone. Told me I had to bring her in. I called one more vet who I've had her to in the past for her shots and minor things (he was the one that diagnosed her diabetes but he told me that he isn't equipped to treat diabetes since he works out of a mobile van - he does low cost treatment out of his van and travels around the counties). I am waiting for him to call me back to see if he can give her something to hold her over until I can get to her vet Monday morning (I plan to be there when they open at 7am).

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Emergency vets rarely say anything except to bring the cat in. They can't diagnose and treat over the phone, especially if unfamiliar with the cat.

Keep pushing fluids for hydration, maybe slurry up a syringe of food and try assist feeding. Go slowly. Maybe add 1/4 of a Pepcid AC to the slurry and see if it helps with the stomach upset.

After as little as 48 hours with no food, she needs to be seen by a vet due to the increased risk of hepatic lipidosis which can be fatal.

15. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

I just tried to get a dropper full of food in her. She immediately threw up and it looks like she threw up all the water I had gotten in her over the past several hours. :-(

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What did the vomit look like? Just the food? Anything else?

Maybe make plain chicken broth. You can add a package of animal gelatin to it for some protein.

I think you're going to need an emergency vet.

17. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

The vomit was just the water and food that I gave her. I just made an appointment with a vet that is affiliated with her current vet. They are going to see her at 2pm today, and it isn't considered emergency since it is before 5pm.

Thanks you everyone for the advice and input. I will let you know what the vet says.

Marbles just made her way to her water bowl and is sitting there but I'm not sure if she drank anything. I was hoping that we were turning a corner when she kept down the water for several hours, but it's obvious she isn't feeling any better since the food made her throw up immediately.

18. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

Took her to the vet. They gave her fluids and a shot for anti-nausea which will last 24 hours. I will call her regular vet first thing in the morning to schedule another visit for tomorrow to run tests in order to figure out why she was vomiting, etc. She drank a little water when we got home from the vet. Hoping for some improvement soon in her overall condition.

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When/if she seems ready to eat, do small amounts at a time, kind of like you'd do for yourself after having GI upsets.

20. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

Will do. I'm scared to try any food with her since the last time I tried, I didn't get a full dropper in before she vomited (of course, that was pre-vet visit). I put a small amount of watered down food and a treat out for her in case she wants to eat on her own. I might try some chicken broth in a little while. Where do you buy animal gelatin? The pet store? Is it really just called animal gelatin?

Thank you so much for everyone's advice. This is the first major sickness that Marbles has had where she won't eat/drink.

21. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

Thank you!

22. Critter Mom

I'm very glad to hear that you got some veterinary help today. It's very scary and distressing when our little ones can't eat. :sad:

Keeping fingers and paws crossed that your regular vet will be able to do more to help Marbles tomorrow. cat_pet_icon

23. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

Oh Jenny, I feel for you! I will say prayers for Marbles tonight. Keep us up to date how she's doing. I pray by the time you take her to her regular vet tomorrow that she's better.

Take care,
    Kimmie

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Knox gelatin (in the USA), is found in the grocery store.

25. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

Thanks everyone! She has been drinking a dropper full of water an hour (got about 4 droppers in her) and has peed in the litterbox since coming home, but she wouldn't take the dropper of water I just tried to give her. Her activity level is about the same...no real improvement. I'm still pretty worried because she won't eat.

I plan to be at the vets office tomorrow morning when they open at 7 hoping they will see her immediately.

26. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sometimes, you have to let the stomach rest. Balancing eating vs rest can be dicey.

If the vet diagnoses pancreatitis, which seems fairly common in diabetic cats, pain meds will help a great deal.

27. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

I just tried putting food in front of her and she gagged but didn't vomit, so I'm thinking trying to force feed her would be counterproductive. The vet today said he wasn't worried about her not eating tonight as long as I take her to her vet in am.

28. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd wait for the vet. She may need to be hospitalized for a bit, to make sure she gets enough calories without making her sicker.

29. JennyBankers

JennyBankers Member

Thanks! I will keep you all posted on her condition and what vet says tomorrow.

30. Critter Mom

Fingers and paws crossed and prayers heading to you from the Shire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.