Won't eat didn't give shot Bg rising advise please!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paula, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Its me again. Michael's Mom, Paula
    The vet changed Michael's diet to low-carb, high protein. On Thurs 7/10/14,started gradual change from y/d to friskies pate & ff classic. This change has only been for 2 days.
    He seemed to like the new food. I tried a different flavor, and he wouldn't eat, so I gave him the turkey & gliblets that he really liked. Still wouldn't eat. His bg pre shot was 230. because he wouldn't eat, I didn't give him a shot. Now it is at 411 1hr after he should have had a shot. He appears to be ok. Why would this happen? Is his body trying to adjust to the diet change? I suspect his bg will be high.
    Thanks to all in advance.
    Paula & kitty Michael

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When he won't eat, the glucose may continue to rise as fat is broken down for calories. Also, if insulin is given, it may prompt eating.

A token dose of Lantus would help maintain the depot. You might try 1/4 to 1/2 of his regular dose if you can be home to monitor.

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Thanks, BJM

Could he be having a pancreatic attack due the transitioning to the new diet?

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I hope Michael is eating better for you, today.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sudden food changes are known to upset the GI tract with diarrhea, vomiting, or inappetance, so I would think it is possible.

Its why we often suggest a gradual switch of 20-25% different food each day (or two or more if upset happens).

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I agree with BJM. If he's not eating the new food, then try to add a little of his old food back into the mixture, and then slowly transition him gradually to the new food. Maybe a teaspoon at a time. It can take a week or a week and a half to get him onto the new food completely. I wish you luck. Is he eating today?

7. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies Dyana & BJM
    I have been giving him 1/2 of his old food and 1/2 of his new food. Up until last night he was eating. This morning he ate about 2 teaspoons wouldn't eat anymore. His bg was 318. He is drinking and using the lb o.k. Today, Sunday, he seems to be a bit lethargic, but it is hard to tell. Right now he is looking out the window at the birds. I didn't give him his am shot because he didn't eat enough and I don't want him to go hypo. If he is not eating by tomorow I will take him to the vet.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Paula. Do you have ketone test strips? I would test for ketones to rule those out.
    If he has any ketones, then he needs the insulin, and he needs to eat, or the ketones could get worse.

9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Hi Dyana.
    I will get some. Where can I get them? I'm now thinking it might be a reaction to the HyperT Med. Tapazole.
    The side effects are lack of appetite also. It's really hard to tell. The vet changed his diet and put him on tapazole so we could regulate the "D".
    I hope all this works out.
    Paula

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The least expensive I think is the ReliOn brand from WalMart.
    Every pharmacy will have ketone test strips, but some don't keep them on the counter with the other diabetic supplies, and in that case you would have to ask the pharmacist as they may have them in back.

11. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info Dyana.
    It's greatly appreciated. His bg has gone from 318 (4:45am) to 407 (8:00am).
    I will go get some strips. He still isn't eating. Will Beechnut baby food hurt him?
    Paula

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just make sure the baby food does not have onion/onion power

13. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry. Will do.
    Paula

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Did you get the ketone test strips, Paula?

I hope Michael is eating, right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.