Won’t eat for the first time ever, high amps, still shoot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margie and Jackson, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Jackson is refusing food, even treats. It’s the first time ever. His bg has been climbing for weeks but he’s been happy and energetic seeming. Obviously he’s going to the vet, but can I still give him his insulin?

2. Margie and Jackson

I remembered that I had some fortiflora and that encouraged him to eat.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you got him eating, and that he's going to the vet. Hopefully it's just a little tummy upset or something like that.

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  4. Margie and Jackson

Yeah, I was trying to get him used to Tiki Cat, so it’s possible he just got a stomachache.

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Ah. Food changes can be kind of bumpy sometimes, hope he's feeling better soon!

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Jackson ate for you. Sending vetty vines.

7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

previous post on Lantus
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-8-amps-230-increase-warranted.220220/

Hi I'm sorry he's not feeling too well.
    When ever we make changes to food it's important to keep a closer eye on BG food can really influence their numbers, what is he changing from?

I took a look at the SS, are you missing a lot of data? I'm seeing absence of PS tests(have you used another meter) and Doses being taken up without curves being run.(or run with another meter, recorded on another SS that folk helping you can't see???)
    Whenever you increase the dose in order to do that safely it's important to have a good idea how low the dose is getting your cat. With the info on the ss at the moment it's impossible to tell what is going on. SLGS is very useful for folk who have very busy schedules, but as a minimum you want to be getting an amps and pmps and running a curve once a week before taking the dose up, and anyone trying to help you with dose needs to be privy to this info in order to give you safe advice. Additionally, to help fill in the blanks if you can grab at least one other test in both the am and pm cycles that will help you tremendously.

I'm not sure why you are using the AT to run the curve and determine the dose???
    Do you realise that the guidelines for SLGS recommend you use a human meter for this. Mixing and matching the numbers is just going to give you one big Headache.
    It would be preferable to pick one meter and stick to it. Personally I would recommend you stick to the human meter as the dosing methods have been developed with human meters and there is no way of converting the numbers, and you will save yourself $$$.

How are you fixed going forwards with time to test your little guy. I'm concerned that the pink we are seeing there may be the result of him dropping low in the night. If you can please try and get those extra tests in as I described above, additionally if you spot a sharp drop I would suggest you follow it up with a test an hour or two later if you are at home and are able to.

Sonia & Leo and Marje and Gracie like this.
  8. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

What kind of Tiki cat did you give him?
    Macka loved it at the beginning, but refuses it now. The Velvet pouches give him loose stools too. So we're back to Fancy Feast (he refuses raw meat as well now).
    Maybe Jackson is just sick of it?

Even without food, I would personally shoot and try to feed again later, something else.
    Good luck at the vet!

9. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vet Margie, I hope Jackson's ok and it was just the food change. Post later and let us know please. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Margie and Jackson

Thanks for the advice and best wishes. The vet thinks he has a UTI. She also thinks the infection is raising his numbers and he shouldn’t be on more than 2.5 units. She said to go ahead with 4.5 tonight. I guess we will see where his numbers go. It’s very handy to have AlphaTrak curves for the vet, if you work with a vet. The vets just don’t believe any other meter.
    I feel as though it’s not possible to follow the wishes of everyone here and my vet! Onwards and upwards, I guess. I hope the vet is right and Jackson is on his way to better numbers.

11. Margie and Jackson

Thanks. I did give the shot. He gets mostly redbarn and I’m trying to add tiki chicken mousse and the shreds, too, since it’s lower carb and lower fat. I’ve backed off now, and he’s just on Redbarn.

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Margie --

Did the vet do a cystocentesis and then a culture and sensitivity to test for a UTI?

You have been very systematically raising Jackson's dose. It's highly unlikely that you're giving too much insulin.

When you have a moment, could you respond to Gill's questions above?

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I don’t want it to feel as if we are ganging up on you because that is not the intent at all.

I certainly can understand that you would need AT numbers if you are still working with your vet on dosing. It would help us understand if you want our input or thoughts because I can see how we will disagree with dropping a dose back to 2.5u. We have found that what we call “rebound checks” don’t work and it ends up the cat is in higher numbers longer and builds up glucose toxicity.

I think I understand that you are trying to use the human meter where you can to save $$ but do the weekly curves for the vet using an AT. I am concerned, along with Gill, about the amount of data missing because we are remiss in making any increase/decrease suggestions from here without that data. And, from a safety standpoint, it’s so critical to have it. We had another member wake up to a 43 the other day out of nowhere. I’ve had that happen myself.

Please know we are just trying to support you and Jackson; we just need to know how you would like us to do that.

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I have the same problem here with my vet, though he's accepted that I won't use the pet meter. But it would be good to see that info on the SS.
    There are many CG that like you have to provide curves with the AT for the vet, but what most of them do, for the purpose of following the dosing methods, is that they also do that curve with the human meter, same drop of blood/poke and use the two meters. (it's easy enough to do, I've done it myself) do you think that would be an option for you?

At any rate it would be good to see the curve numbers from the AT on the SS.
    mark them AT in the box so it's clear you used an AT for those readings.

How is he feeling appetite wise? Is he eating normally, like his usual self??

ETA Just wanted to say, if you decide to take the dose down to 2.5u as it appears the vet is suggesting with an infection on board and the iffy appy you have noted today, do start checking for ketones daily. Like the others I don't think doing a rebound check is the way to go.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Sonia & Leo likes this.