Won't eat!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by swilkes, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swilkes

swilkes New Member

My Boo has been doing so great since diagnosed and she's been on wet food and insulin until yesterday. Around noon she was in her usual feed me pose at her food plate so I gave her part of a can and she completely turned her nose up. I thought no biggie she's just not interested in that flavor right now. Well shortly after that she threw up. Well around 6pm, insulin time, I feed her a different flavor but she did the same thing and threw up prior to dinner. I couldn't call my vet so I read where it's best to not give her insulin if she has not eaten. Well here we are this morning 6am I open another different flavor and she doesn't even get off the bed. What do I do? I'm so worried and I don't want to skip another insulin!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you are testing BG you can likely give some insulin if the BG is high even if not eating. What insulin are you using? You should also add that to your signature.
    I usually let my cats go 24 hours without eating before taking action.
    What di the through up look like? A hairball?

BJM likes this.
  3. swilkes

swilkes New Member

She's on Pro zinc 1 unit. It was actually clear looking no hairball. She is drinking water, not in excess and very clingy. I did give her her hyperthyroid medicine (Felimazole 2.5 mg) last night and this morning in Feline Greenies pill pocket that she devoured.

4. swilkes

swilkes New Member

Oh and I'm not testing. We did go to her vet week before last and everything looked great but the vet said let's keep her on the same and recheck the first of Feb.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The first thing I'd suggest is getting yourself some sort of testing supplies asap. Your cat's health can change very quickly, so last week's evaluation isn't helpful. She could be high and developing ketones, a medical emergency.

The WalMart ReliOn Confirm is inexpensive as are the test strips. Target's Up and Up meter is another inexpensive one. Get at least 50 of the test strips for the meter, plus lancets for alternate site testing (they're bigger, which improves your chances of success.)

Also pick up KetoDiaStix or generic, to test the urine for ketones and glucose dumped into the urine since the previous void. Ketones form as a by-product of fat breakdown for energy. Too many ketones may indicate diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a potentially fatal, expensive to treat, complication of diabetes. You can smell 2 of the 3 types of ketones that are formed, so if her breath smells fruity or like vinegar, that is another clue.

Some aquarium gravel can be used in a clean litter box to help get a fresh urine specimen. See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for more tips, plus info on how to check for dehydration.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.